Subject: Shoehorning Forbidden Stars combat deck into Starcraft rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thornoo1 Thornoo1
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Bare with me here. Your feedback is sought

We have been playing Forbidden Stars quite a lot and feel that is a step forward on StarCraft in terms of overall game design.

But.

I still want to play the odd game of StarCraft. My main beef with SC was that as you bought more technology your combat deck became more diluted. I was really impressed with the combat deck building mechanism of FS which sees you throwing away old tech cards as you upgrade. I have found that this encourages particular builds and that you can tailor your combat deck a whole lot more to the units you have on the table.

So I was thinking about how I could bring this mechanism into SC without massively altering the game play.

So this is my take on deck building FS style. I'd really like your comments on this to see if it works.

Building and upgrading your combat deck

1/ Starting combat deck - cards 1-8 and 17 & 18
2/ Your combat deck can never be more than10 cards in size
3/ Treat cards 9-16 as tech cards, build cost 1 crystal each in pairs. this means 9 & 10 are bought together, as are 11& 12 and so forth.
4/ As you buy tech cards to add to your new combat deck discard that number of cards from your existing deck. I.e. if you purchase a tech upgrade that is 2 cards, add these to your deck and discard the same number of cards so that your combat deck is always 10 cards.

Drawing combat cards
1/ At the start of each combat shuffle all 10 cards in your deck and draw 5. These are the cards you play on each skirmish. You can look at these cards and play as you wish face down to each skirmish.
2/ Play combat as per the rule book.

So that is the bare bones shoehorn I am thinking about, what do people think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven vG
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With the diversity of units & technologies offered in Starcraft, I reckon this system will need more depth to prevent Starcraft from losing its niche over Forbidden Stars.

The Forbidden Stars system works well (makes the game more transparent, especially for casual players). Nevertheless, I reckon implementation into Starcraft requires you to trim down on the number of units available to each faction and cut out a lot of technologies. If all the technologies can be incorporated in some way (Unit upgrades, order upgrades,...), you'd be able to compromise between the die-hards & casual fans of the game.

Example:
Assist units see little to no use, let alone most assist unit technologies. Let's say each time you buy a non-combat card technology bound to single unit (Medic: Heal, Optic Flare, Restoration), you receive that technology card & 1 model of that unit which is placed next to your player mat (Player buys Heal: takes 1 Heal card and 1 Medic model). Like a reinforcement token in Forbidden Stars, the player may drop in said assist unit to provide its aid coupled with 1 of the technologies you purchased. After that battle, the unit & technology is returned next to the player mat but in a tapped position, it can no longer be used that round. After each round, untap & refresh every unit & technology.

It could be a way to allow more technologies to hit the field while trimming the deck. Even though some technologies came in pairs, I've rarely seen players play both during a single round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Won't work. In starcraft you are counter building who you will be fighting that turn. And as Steven says, there is just way more options in starcraft.

We use a house rule to help clean up decks. During research, instead of drawing combat cards, you may remove a number of cards from your deck equal to the number you are adding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thornoo1 Thornoo1
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for both of your initial feedback.

Dustin, are you able to explain by what you mean when you say 'counter build'?

Steven I think i will take your example and see if i can build on it. I wanted a simple fix but you actually have a good suggestion on how to get rarely used units and tech into the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J.
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the other threads on this forums suggested a simpler proposal - start with the regular 18 card deck (20 with BW), whenever you buy tech - you replace that number of cards in your cards in your deck, when you research you don't draw 3 cards. As a consequence, you can buy certain techs to take our some cards in the basic deck you aren't going to use and specialize. You can't draw your entire deck every turn but you should be drawing around half of it when you attack, you can keep certain cards from turn to turn etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.