Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Managed to snag a cheap copy of this game online recently, and am thinking about purchasing wooden pieces to upgrade the game.

However, my cart at boardgamextras.co.uk currently stands at:

64x Catan Settlements (Towns: red, blue, green and yellow)
16x Catan Cities (Cities: red, blue, green and yellow)
20x Catan Ships (Ship: red, blue, green and yellows)
56x Meeples (Armies: red, blue, green and yellow)
9x Catan Metropoles (Castles: brown)

And is already over £40 (~$52), and I'm yet to find suitable replacements for the Citadel, Road, Dragon, Runestone and Mercenary chits! Not sure I'm willing to pay 3x the cost of the game for wooden pieces...!

Has anyone else purchased the Limited Edition components themselves in order to "self-upgrade" their edition? Did you find it expensive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Steer
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Strangely, I was attempting to do the very same thing just last week on boardgameextras.co.uk and gave up when I saw the final shopping cart price!

I've abandoned it for now, but i'll watch this space..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brown
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually prefer the cardboard tokens. They stack better on the regions. Also the images are nice in matching the function.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowjump wrote:
I actually prefer the cardboard tokens. They stack better on the regions. Also the images are nice in matching the function.

As an owner of the limited edition, I think the standard edition has superior components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:

As an owner of the limited edition, I think the standard edition has superior components.

As an owner of the limited edition, I'd really like Treefrog/whatever-they-are-now to make the artwork available somehow so I can make my own stickers for some of the wooden pieces... I don't think I'd give up on the tactility of wood, though.

(Of course, if you feel differently you could probably sell your limited edition for more than enough cash to buy one of the many cheap standard edition copies floating around!)

If I were thinking of upgrading games like this I'd just make my own pieces, though. Between a scrollsaw and a router you can make most wooden board game pieces fairly easily from tightgrained woods (beech etc.) and thin birch ply/MR-MDF - then sand them and paint them with acrylics or enamels. If you pick the router and the scrollsaw up cheap second-hand you probably only have to upgrade two games to make it worth the investment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.