Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

At first blush, this seems cut and dry to me, however it just doesn't feel right. I own several hex and counter wargames, and for the most part they all have similar rules when it comes to zone of control and its effects on movement, but I don't want to assume anything based on other games.
Anyway, the question is:
Do friendly units negate an enemy units z.o.c. specifically when it comes to movement?
Ex: I as the Russian player have 3 hexes in a line, with units in the 1st and 2nd, the 3rd being empty. There is a German unit adjacent to the 2nd hex. Can the Russian unit in hex 1 move through hex 2 and stop in hex 3? The rules are quite clear about normal movement when no friendly units are present, however I find it odd that friendly units wouldn't be able to move through other friendly units. They can if no enemy units are present.
I've been playing that enemy z.o.c. stops all movement into an adjacent hex, however the rules seem to be at odds here in that movement through friendly units is allowed as long as stacking and terrain rules are followed.
Anyone run into this before, or am I over analyzing this?

Thanks in advance for any clarification(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Atkins
Australia
Mitcham
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Erik,

You are playing the rules correctly.

The relevant rules are :-

[6.4] Enemy Zones of Control (ZOC): A unit must stop upon entering a hex adjacent to an enemy unit.

[6.4.3) 2nd Paragraph. Under no circumstances may a unit move directly from one enemy Zone of Control to another. It must first leave by an uncontrolled hex and then continue moving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's kind of what I assumed, thanks for clarifying. I actually just played Battle for Moscow earlier today(also a battlesson game by VPG, and though it is by a different game designer the rule was extremely clear in that rule book(even if it was in a weird spot, it was under replacements-10.0-highlighted paragraph-"unlike in other wargames, friendly units do not negate the effects of enemy Zones of Control for any reason"), makes sense that it would be the same in a game from the same battlesson series)

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.