Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just curious, when the opposite captain calls west, for the radio operator, on their sheet, that would be east. I can see some people getting tripped up by this - or am I misunderstanding something obvious?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Directions are indicated on the Map. So East is (in good northern hemisphere fashion) always to the right of the player...

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Wisconsin Rapids
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Radio Operator has a copy of the same map the enemy team is using.

West is still west, East is still east.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I must need my coffee this morning, because I still don't get it.

Each radio operator is opposite of one another:

http://imgur.com/QjmSG3E

So what am I missing? If I hear the captain say "west" they are actually going MY east.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The directions are flipped, but so are the maps each radio operator has, so it 'cancels out'.

It's like when you are holding a map upside down. Just because you are holding it upside down, doesn't mean the definition of East or West swaps for anyone else! East/West/North/South remain absolute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Wisconsin Rapids
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:
I must need my coffee this morning, because I still don't get it.

Each radio operator is opposite of one another:

http://imgur.com/QjmSG3E

So what am I missing? If I hear the captain say "west" they are actually going MY east.

Of all the things in the world you should not try to overthink, this is the one.

The enemy team is staring at their maps rightside up, and you're staring at an exact copy of the same maps rightside up. When they move East (to the right) on their map, you should also move East (to the right) on yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pvtparts wrote:
The directions are flipped, but so are the maps each radio operator has, so it 'cancels out'.

It's like when you are holding a map upside down. Just because you are holding it upside down, doesn't mean the definition of East or West swaps for anyone else! East/West/North/South remain absolute.

I didn't think I could actually be this dumb, but yep, I am.

I get it now, thank you, I don't even know why I was confused to begin with. Everyone is looking at the same map!

I need more coffee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:
Each radio operator is opposite of one another

This approach is only partially correct. Both teams sit opposite each other but this does not mean that both submarines are heading towards each other. The seating arrangement of the two teams has nothing to do with the alignment of their submarines. Imagine the situation that both teams sit at different tables – aligned in the same direction. This approach would of course also be possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.