Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

Hope I'm not in the wrong place here, as its not strictly boardgames that I was looking to talk about. We're due with our first little girl sometime in the next month, so I'll not really be playing any serious games with her for a good few years yet, but I wondered what cool things the creative boardgame community has done in the past to help kids spark imagination and play.

I've been looking at making fairy houses for the trees in the garden to get her excited about nature and magic etc.

Another wild scheme I've come up with is over the course of the next year or so, making a treasure map and burying some treasure, hiding said map behind some grotty portrait of someone bought from a fleamarket, and leaving it in the loft to gather dust for the next 6 years. Then when we watch the Goonies for the first time I can suggest she goes and hunts for treasure in our attic, and the rest, in theory, will be history! (though if you have any hints on clues and what form the treasure might take shape I'd be really interested to hear).

So any other cool things like that, that others have done? Oh and I know I'm getting WAAAAAAAAAAAAY ahead of myself, as she only arrives next week, but I'm just super excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:

Another wild scheme I've come up with is over the course of the next year or so, making a treasure map and burying some treasure, hiding said map behind some grotty portrait of someone bought from a fleamarket, and leaving it in the loft to gather dust for the next 6 years. Then when we watch the Goonies for the first time I can suggest she goes and hunts for treasure in our attic, and the rest, in theory, will be history! (though if you have any hints on clues and what form the treasure might take shape I'd be really interested to hear).

I've had this very idea! I haven't gotten around to it, since I haven't found good treasures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

Read to her every day, and get her to talk with you about the stories. Participate in playing pretend with her. Introduce her to imaginative works from the likes of David Wiesner, Maurice Sendak, and Shel Silverstein.

Maybe four years from now you can try The Nighttime Animals Save the World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
For my boy, the main thing was telling him stories. Not reading stories mind you (that is mom's thing) but making up stories on the spot. Then, he'd interject with something (usually random) and I'd add it to the story. We called this game "...and then what happened?" because I'd start to trail off and get distracted and that's what he'd say. Man, he loved that. I'm terribly unimaginative but he didn't care.

Now, at 6 his imagination is going crazy and he's starting to tell stories that make no sense to me but make total sense to him.

Not sure if he'll be a gamer tho. He struggles against rules and needs to "win" all the time so he will change the game to serve his purposes. He's incredibly clever at making an argument to aid his win tho so maybe he'll be a lawyer or something.

He has some incredibly clever modifications to tic-tac-toe I should share...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Now, at 6 his imagination is going crazy and he's starting to tell stories that make no sense to me but make total sense to him.

Rory's Story Cubes might be a thing he would like. My brother and my children like them (the children mainly when they see my brother and can get him involved in making up stories).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anything that helps them with imaginative play is good! Now that mine are 4 & 5 we've started doing an RPG called No Thank You, Evil!. Making play houses and forts, maybe try geocaching as it's like real treasure hunting. The fairy house idea is a good one...there are lots of nature crafts like this to consider, but I usually just let mine play with natural acorns/sticks/etc. and they end up putting together something on their own. We do the same kind of storytelling as the parent above, where the kids have input into the story. We do read stories about fantasy to them. Renaissance fairs are pretty cool thing to do as well, for a special trip into fantasy land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And congrats! You seem to already be a hands-on parent! BTW, early on...small tunnels are cool for exploring. As are couch cushion constructions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

blunder1983 wrote:
Another wild scheme I've come up with is over the course of the next year or so, making a treasure map and burying some treasure, hiding said map behind some grotty portrait of someone bought from a fleamarket, and leaving it in the loft to gather dust for the next 6 years.

That's some serious forward planning.

I can't think of any good ideas at the moment other than suggesting doing lots of different things with her and seeing what she enjoys. For nature RSPB, Wildlife Trusts, wildaboutgardens.org.uk and probably others have good resources for things to do. You can build houses for bees, hedgehogs, bats, birds, frogs, make a pond (when she is a bit bigger, we waited until our youngest was 6 but I'd have happily done it younger - my brother survived having a pond in the garden his whole life and I wouldn't leave a child unattended in a garden even if it didn't have a pond). Geocaching is fun too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGs sound like a good shout, I'd looooove to go to a renaissance fair, but despite all the castles we don't have much of that in the UK. Getting her involved in RSPB is a good shout, i've already convinced the missus she's going to need a rabbit!

It's sounding like 5/6 is about the right age to start out with that sort of thing, I'll be looking to get some Haba games for her when she's little too.

I've kickstarted Story Realms which looks like an epic rpg for kids, and the way its going it'll be ready in time for her 5th birthday

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
dkearns wrote:

Rory's Story Cubes might be a thing he would like. My brother and my children like them (the children mainly when they see my brother and can get him involved in making up stories).

Tried and failed. Get this: he doesn't like it when the dice tell him what to do. Should try again though as that was like a year ago.

I've been wanting to use them to connect missions in Shadows of Brimstone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations - I'm sure she'll bring the magic too!

Mangos make good dragon eggs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe The Siblings Trouble will help? It is a tell your story game with beautifully illustrated card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
RPGs sound like a good shout, I'd looooove to go to a renaissance fair, but despite all the castles we don't have much of that in the UK. Getting her involved in RSPB is a good shout, i've already convinced the missus she's going to need a rabbit!

It's sounding like 5/6 is about the right age to start out with that sort of thing, I'll be looking to get some Haba games for her when she's little too.

I've kickstarted Story Realms which looks like an epic rpg for kids, and the way its going it'll be ready in time for her 5th birthday

I missed out on Story Realms. soblue Maybe I'll snag a copy from people whose kids grow out of it? Anyway thanks for mentioning it (I hadn't heard of it) and for other people looking it's now called Storm Hollow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I think children have awesome imaginations and are drawn to the things that interest them (Which are normally things like nature and fantasy worlds). I don't think they need specific help to achieve that, your children will amaze you daily.

Barthes wrote an interesting essay which I sort of agree with (sort of don't), where he argued that giving a child anything more than sticks and stones to play with was opressive and limited their imagination. A child with a stick and stone can do anything and be anyone, but a child with a toy car can only be a racing driver or policeman or whatever.

My two boys have more than sticks and stones to play with, but when they only have sticks and stones to play with they are still entirely happy and build unlimited worlds and adventures with them.

Basically, you don't need to try and grow an imaginative child, you just need to support the imaginative child you're going to have.

All that said, it sounds like you're going to be an amazing Dad! Congratulations and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I backed dwarven forge dungeon tiles, which are these nearly indestructible tiles you can build a, you got it, dungeon with. They're rather expensive, but my four year old boy loves 'em. I've given him a handful of DnD type toy soldiers to play with, and I've even sat down and had him help me paint some minis too. We just had another boy (7 months old now!), so in a few years, I've got a built in RPG party ready to go!

He already likes some games (Rattlesnake, Gobblers, Go Away Monster, Animal Upon Animal) but often doesn't like to lose and is prone to bending the rules a bit. I pretty much let him do what he likes when we play, and it's all good fun.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a role play game that me and my brothers kids played a few years ago. There were 3 children ages 4 to 6 and two dads. It was called Faery's Tale.

Had to make a call as he has the book and could not find it on search here .
We did not think they would all like it and it would only last 5 minutes . Boy were we wrong.

The characters get gifts and an essence rating which is used as hit points and can be sacrificed to help with an event or even a fellow Sprite , pooka etc.wonderful to play and creatures for the boys to play too (I would be a goblin).
Be ready and open minded for imagination explosions, they will not just be coming from the kids either.

Faery's Tale Deluxewow found it. A hidden gem for kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thread by the way and best wishes!

Reminded me of this I wrote in case it helps:

I'm afraid it IS a little bit scary...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elac yenwod
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I think you'll be amazed you won't need much. The best way to help foster a love of anything in your kids is to show them and share your own enthusiasm for your own interests. Don't try to force feed them anything if they aren't interested but keep introducing them to new things and encourage the things they do show an interest in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First, congratulations. You are about to go on an interesting journey that will likely change how you see the world.

Like some have already said, you won't need to do much. Having fantasy-related items--particularly those that you use--will make them familiar to your daughter, and she will likely gravitate toward them because you like them. Fantasy also tends to be the most popular genre for kids older than 7 years. Before your daughter is at that stage, she'll probably go through several stages of interest: I like dinosaurs, I like rocks, I like planets, I like the amorphous purple creature that appears on TV, etc. It's easier to share your interest in fantasy than trying to direct her interest in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LurkingMeeple wrote:
Read to her every day

+1, you can't fail by starting here. The Goonies treasure map thing sounds awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid Alfredsson Grahn
Sweden
flag msg tools
As some people have already pointed out: read to her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
Geekgold for this! I may have to steal this idea for my grandson.

blunder1983 wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I've been reading to the bump for ages (Winnie the Pooh first and now were right at the tail end of Wind in the Willows ) and will read to her everynight when she's here.

Still need treasure ideas! And clue ideas for my hidden treasure hunt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
Well I've been reading to the bump for ages (Winnie the Pooh first and now were right at the tail end of Wind in the Willows ) and will read to her everynight when she's here.

Still need treasure ideas! And clue ideas for my hidden treasure hunt!

Treasure:
how about some of the cool kickstarter metal coins in a pirate or fantasy theme. You can dirty and weather them up nicely to look aged. Maybe include a note from the treasure burier about how these aren't to be spent because they are all lucky coins or some such. You could maybe get some vintage or vintage-looking old toys (bonus points for wind-up toys) to throw in with them.

Clues:
rather than clues, how about a treasure map, using obvious landmarks in the area to lead them, eventually, to your back yard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My daughter is 5 now, but she has been very interested in fantasy type things for a long time. I have a lot of games with miniatures and let her play with them at time. We also have some of the Dwarven Forge tile sets that she enjoys building dungeons and such with. She very memorably built a mechanic/dentist shop for the various dragons and trucks that she has figures of, but everyone had to hide when the giant walked by. She also really seems to enjoy painting miniatures with me, she started doing that when she was three and actually wanted to have a miniature painting station at her fourth birthday party (it was art themed).

Here is some of her recent work, she keeps the figures on her nightstand as bodyguards to help keep away nightmares.

I also have the game Story War. There are three different kinds of cards; characters, items, and locations. We will flip them over, she picks which ones, and then together we tell a story using whatever is revealed. She has memorized about half of them and loves to get them out and play and tell stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.