Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Origins 2017 Hotel Blocks are open!!!

Origins 2017 Early Registration is open!!

With the block release preparations for Origins will officially begin and with them will come a multitude of questions from first time attendees and veterans alike. To aid in answering some of those questions I've poured over the Origins 2016 Guidance thread found here - Origins 2016 Guidance - and the 2016 Official Program Guide. As the 2016 post reached over 30 pages with some questions and answers being lost in the over 800 individual posts, I've created this thread in order to keep the answers on or near the front page. I will monitor the thread and post additional questions and answers as they appear in the subsequent pages to the relevant subject below.

Essentially, I intend for this post to serve as both an unofficial FAQ for Origins as well as a place for attendees to talk to each other about any and all things Origins related. There will be a number of additional Origins related Geeklists being posted in the coming weeks and months, such as the Flea Market, Math Trade, Volunteer Opportunities, and "Geek" Organized Game Events. I will be posting links to those lists here as well as relevant information about what you will find at the link.

Feel free to chime in and add any other information you think pertinent.

DISCLAIMER: This thread is not all encompassing and while I did make an effort to ensure accuracy of information, I am in no way, shape, or form associated with GAMA outside of my forthcoming badge purchase, and as such some information may not be entirely accurate. That said, much of the information contained herein is drawn from official sources and Columbus residents with knowledge of the area. Please see the Origins Game Fair website for official information.

Here's to another great year at Origins!!

EDIT: A fellow Geek requested I convert this thread into a Geeklist. I have done so and you may find that List here: The Origins 2017 FAQs Geeklist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Origins Game Fair Official Materials

I’ll be posting links to official news, updates, and announcements here. Also found here will be links to the most recent Events Grid and the official Origins Program when they are released. You can also visit the Official Origins Game Fair page at: http://originsgamefair.com/

(1) - As of September 1, 2016 GAMA released the hotel blocks for Origins 2017. Link to Hotel Reservations: http://originsgamefair.com/hotels/

(2) - Courtesy of Grayson, here are the 2015 and 2016 Event Grids and Site Books (if I can ever figure out how to upload these to BGG as files I'll separate them out but until then): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B59Z_7bDFZNIUE9zcDJR...

(3) - Per the Origins Facebook Page, "Want to Submit an Event for Origins? Submissions begin September 1st! Beginning this year GM's will be able to pick up their badges on Tuesday evening."

(4) - Per an e-mail from GAMA Pre-Registration for Origins 2017 will begin on November 16th!! BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!!! The official theme this year is Dragons. On a personal note, while I've been out of high school over 10 years now, our mascot was a Dragon, so I'm definitely a fan of this theme.

(5) - GAMA has finally updated their website for Origins 2017. It now shows the 2017 dates AND shows off their new theme: Dragons!

(6) - GAMA will be hosting their 2nd Annual Origins Film Festival this year. Submissions opened September 1, 2016. Please see their website for more information. http://www.originsfilmfestival.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hotels

LIVE!! 2017 Rates are up for your review. They appear to be the same as 2016 rates.. You can access the reservation page at the following link: http://originsgamefair.com/hotels/

It's official, the Hilton, Hyatt, Drury, and Hampton Inn are all sold out. Attendees also report that the Crowne is nearing sold out as they now require multiple room switches in order to get the whole week there.

Hotels that are walking distance (4-5 block radius) to the convention center include:

Hyatt Regency Columbus - 350 North High Street SOLD OUT!!!
The Hyatt is generally considered the host hotel and is attached to the Convention Center. The Hyatt is the best hotel for those most interested in playing RPG's as the RPG's are right outside of the hotel's Big Bar on 2. Essentially, it's the hotel with the most convenient proximity to RPG Gaming Events.

Hilton Downtown Columbus - 401 North High Street SOLD OUT!!!
The Hilton is attached to the Convention Center via a sky bridge. Correction: Previously I stated that this was the hotel closest to the convention center main entrance. This was incorrect. The Hampton Inn below is the closest to the entrance but is NOT attached to the hotel.

Hampton Inn & Suites - 501 North High Street SOLD OUT!!!
The Hampton Inn is across the street from the main entrance to the convention center and the shortest walk for getting to the Exhibit Hall and Open Gaming Area. It also puts you closer to the North Market and Barley's. If you're primary interest is board games, this hotel is probably your best bet. As an added bonus the Hampton also provides free breakfast!

Le Meridien, The Joseph - 620 North High Street
I believe the following are also walking distance but if someone could confirm that would be great:=.

Drury Inn & Suites - 88 Nationwide Blvd. SOLD OUT!!
If I understand correctly from the Origins Official Facebook page, the Drury is also attached to the Convention Center via a skywalk. This information comes from a reply made by the Origins page moderator, and I am not 100% of it's accuracy, though I assume it to be so.

This appears to have sold out before the block ever opened. Not sure what happened here.

Crowne Plaza - 33 East Nationwide Blvd. SOLD OUT!!!
If I am missing any that are within walking distance please let me know so I can add them above.

The three principle hotels are The Hilton, The Hyatt, and The Hampton Inn.
Hilton and Hyatt are attached to the Greater Columbus Convention Center. However, the Hyatt is the primary convention hall hotel as it is truly attached whereas the Hilton is attached via a skywalk that crosses N. High Street. The Hampton is directly across the street from the main entrance.

Last year every hotel listed above sold out with exception of Le Meridien. The Hyatt and The Hilton tend to sell out within the first week if not sooner.

UPDATE 8/25/16: There is an ongoing thread with some information regarding hotels. Origins 2017 hotels. Perhaps the most useful tidbit, thus far, is that if you're on a budget and you are intending to drive out, you can stay at a hotel in one of the surrounding cities about 10-15 minutes away for considerably less than what you would pay to stay at a hotel in Columbus proper.

UPDATE 8/29/16: I just learned the Pride Parade will be occurring on June 17 and will thus overlap with Origins. As such, hotel space is likely to sell out rather quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Badges and Ribbons

Pre-Registration is now OPEN.

The question usually arises as to what ribbons you need as an attendee. The only thing you absolutely HAVE TO PURCHASE is the Origins Convention Badge. You will not be allowed in the exhibit hall, Open Gaming Hall, or any other official Origins Event with an Origins Badge.
Badges are $60 for Full Show, $25 for 1 Day, $45 for 2 Day. Children under 9 years of age are free. There are discounts for Military, Clubs, and Educators, as well as the Family Pass. Please see the link for further details: http://originsgamefair.com/registration/

Board Room – $20 optional purchase in 2016. The Board Room has been hosted every year since 2007 by CABS – The Columbus Area Boardgame Society. CABS brings nearly their entire library of 700+ games to Origins and gives all those who have a ribbon access to that library. It’s a great way to play new games or if you own a game that you’d like to play but don’t want to haul your copy to Origins you can use their copy. However, the Board Room will be cordoned off to restrict access to those with a Board Room Ribbon only. Another advantage of the Board Room Ribbon is that it offers a much larger area to play games. There is almost always table space available, so even if you don’t use the library the Board Room gives you a great deal of space to play any games you bring with you or purchase at the convention. Finally, Rio Grande Games typically donates a BUNCH of games to the Board Room to be raffled off to those who purchased a ribbon and made use of the room. CABS makes NO MONEY from the sale of ribbons. They are not even reimbursed their expenses for trucking their library to the convention center. The only thing they receive are free badges for the CABS volunteers. The number of tables available in the Board Room is directly determined by the number of Board Room Ribbons sold. While I highly recommend you purchase a Board Room Ribbon, it is not required to enjoy open gaming elsewhere throughout the convention and attached Hyatt Regency Hotel.

Origins After Dark – $10 optional purchase that gives holders access to more adult themed gaming events at Origins. This is for events like Cards Against Humanity, Ultimate Werewolf, Two Rooms and a Boom, and The Secret Gaming Cabal’s Party. These events start at 6pm after the Exhibit Hall closes and are restricted to attendees 18+ years old. I bought this ticket in 2016 but never used it. By the time I finished gaming in the Board Room every night all I wanted to do was get some sleep. However, if you’re someone who can’t get enough games, is 18 or over, and a night owl, this ribbon might be for you.

Mayfair – $20 optional purchase that grants access to the Mayfair Games Room. I didn’t get this ribbon and don’t know much about it so if anyone knows anything about this particular ribbon, please chime in so I can lend some more information.

Rio Grande – Free ribbon that grants access to the Rio Grande Games Room. This one is only available at the show. Again, I don’t know much about this ribbon so anyone that does, feel free to chime in.

Upper Deck – $20 optional purchase that grants access to the Upper Deck area. Again, I don’t know much about this ribbon so anyone that does, feel free to chime in.

Amtgard – $20 optional purchase that grants unlimited play in Amtgard events. Again, I don’t know much about this ribbon so anyone that does, feel free to chime in.

Puffing Billy – $20 optional purchase that allows entry to train games run by the Train Gamers Association. Almost any game with trains is eligible - 18xx, Ticket to Ride, Steam/Age of Steam, Express, Santa Fe, Empire Builder and so on. There are plaques offered for the best overall Train Game player (across multiple categories) as well as plaques for the best 18xx player, Ticket to Ride player, Empire Builder genre player and so on. (Thanks to Yuglooc for the information!)

War College – DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE LISTED FOR 2017. If anyone has information regarding this, please advise but based on what I'm seeing it is discontinued for 2017. Previously this was a $20 optional purchase that grants access to select War Games Seminars. This is also sometimes referred to as the GrogHeads Ribbon. This one is actually pretty cool. GrogHeads is group of dedicated war gamers that will host seminars wherein military tacticians will speak on using various military strategies and run participants through simulated battles via the relevant war game(s). I didn’t get this ribbon but I did some reading on it. If you can contribute more information please do.

Deception Room (previously Werewolf) – $20 optional purchase that grants access to all Deception Room events, including “Are You A Werewolf” events. Again, I don’t know much about this ribbon so anyone that does, feel free to chime in.

Generics and Ticketed Events – Ticketed Events are purchased prior to arriving at Origins and are sponsored events. Many of these events will be Learn to Play, RPG Games, LARP Events, Giant Kings of Tokyo, and a whole host of other things going on. The Origins Event Grid last year had something like 700 ticketed events occurring. Ticketed Events are nonrefundable but are useful for events that sell out quickly such as the aforementioned Giant Kings of Tokyo. Generics can be purchased prior to arrival or any time during the convention. Generics cost and are worth $2 each, which is the minimum cost for any ticketed event. If there is an open spot at a ticketed event, generics can be used to purchase said spot. Generics can be returned for Cash at the convention but must be redeemed Origins ends on Sunday, June 18, 2017. Please note also that Generics CANNOT be purchased by attendees with the Family Day Pass wristband.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Food

Columbus has an abundance of food options, far too many to list them all here. I’m only going to list some of the most popular and convenient locations. If anyone feels I would be doing a disservice by not listing a particular option please let me know and I will add it.

Big Bar on 2 (Located on Second Floor Hyatt) - Big Bar on 2 is one of 2 unofficial Origins hangout spots. Last year Origins hosted their Origins Lounge at Big Bar on 2. The Origins Lounge allowed attendees to play Origins Awards nominated games after Exhibit Hall Hours.

Barley’s (Located at 467 N. High St. Across from the Convention Center) – Barley’s is the second of the unofficial Origins hangouts. Last year they gave our Origins branded pint glasses with the presentation of a coupon from the Origins Coupon Book. http://barleysbrewing.com/

North Market (Located at 59 Spruce St.) – North Market is about 2 blocks away from the convention center in the same direction as Barley’s. I never made to North Market last year but I understand that with over 30 vendors there are some awesome restaurants over there. http://www.northmarket.com/

A good point brought up my user Yuglooc, is that the North Market closes sometime around 7pm. As such if you wish to check out what is one of the staples of Origins and indeed Columbus, you'll want to go early.

Pastaria (Located at the North Market) - Per fellow Geek, ngwilliam, the Pastaria is fantastic. I was looking over their website and this place is going to be a must try for my this year. Check them out at: http://www.pastarianorthmarket.com/

Food Court (Located downstairs in the convention center past Java’s Cyber Expresso Bar) – For a quick, convenient option. This area was under construction last year and operating with shortened hours. That said most everything I saw down there was fast and short order food. There were Chinese, Thai, and Indian food options as well as pizza and burgers. I tried the Thai food and it was pretty decent while my cousin tried the Indian food and thought the same. You’re not going to get 5-star restaurant quality food but for what it is it’s actually quite good.

Java’s Cyber Expresso Bar – (Located downstairs in the convention center) – As you exit the Big Bar on 2 you’ll come into a large atrium type area with a set of stairs at the base of which is Java’s. They’re a little pricey but the coffee they serve is top notch in my opinion. I drink my coffee black and found their coffee to be very smooth and low acid. You can also get all kinds of other concoctions as well including frappuccinos and other specialty drinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Families

For those bringing small children to the convention, Origins has a family room featuring games and events for families. Please note if you are considering leaving your child in the Family Room, the room is NOT supervised.

Origins also provides CritterCare for children aged 5 through 12. CritterCare operates as an onsite daycare center wherein parents can leave their children in a supervised and restricted area. CritterCare provides children with games, crafts, books, and toys. Please note, there is a charge associated with this service. Please see the Origins website for details on cost and hours.

In addition, there is also a dedicated Nursing Room to provide parents a quiet area to nurse infants. And finally there is the Quiet Room which is provided as a general service for those looking to escape the noise and bustle of the convention. It is also intended as an area where you can calm an overstimulated child or feed an infant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are you bringing? What are you playing?

At some point in the coming weeks or months a fellow Geek will post a Geeklist where anyone attending the convention can list a game that they will either be bringing with them to schedule for play with others, or that they would like someone to bring so they can play. What games and when they will be scheduled for play is entirely up to the person bringing the game. While nearly all of these games will be free, last year there was one pay event that made it onto the list.
I’ll post a link to that Geeklist as soon as I see it go live.

As per below, Mr.
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
has advised that he will be posting this list probably sometime in December. Thanks Davey!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Origins Virtual Flea Market

Depending on whether or not Origins hosts an Auction this year, this may or may not happen. In 2016, the annual Auction was cancelled due to space constraints from construction. To make up for the loss the Geek community banded together to buy and sell their games through BGG. If there is another Virtual Flea Market I will post a link to it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Math Trade

For those unfamiliar with what a Math Trade is please see the dedicated forum here: MATH TRADES for Dummies

Simply put it’s just like a regular trade except that due to the sheer volume of games being traded a computer program is used to facilitate the trades.

There is a Geek organized Math Trade each year at Origins. When I see the Geeklist go live, I’ll link it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Origins Game Fair Preview

This will be created and moderated by a BGG Admin and will be a list of all the games known be getting released at Origins. Some will be a first look demo for a game to hit Kickstarter or scheduled for a later release date, others will be the first time the game is available for US retail. When I see the list go live I’ll post it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Transportation

Parking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Event Information

Per the Origins Facebook Page, "Want to Submit an Event for Origins? Submissions begin tomorrow, September 1! Beginning this year GM's will be able to pick up their badges on Tuesday evening." Deadline is March 1, 2017 so you've got some time.

Origins Film Festival registration will also open tomorrow, September 1. Please follow the link for further information: http://www.originsfilmfestival.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miscellaneous Questions, Answers, and Information

This is going to be a catch all for all the stuff that doesn’t quite fit in one of the preceding topics. This is where I will add people’s questions and answers as well as any generally helpful information.

For starters the following link will take you to the Official Origins FAQs which should answer a fair number of questions related to tickets, events, and registration: http://originsgamefair.com/about-origins/faq/

Volunteer Opportunities

I completely forgot to create a section on Volunteering. As a result it will have to share space with the miscellaneous section.

There are any number of Volunteer opportunities at Origins. The Origins site has a specific tab dedicated to how you can volunteer with GAMA but many of the publishers are also looking for extra help. Volunteering, aside from being a really fun time, also offers lots of other perks as well, such as the ability to get into the exhibitor area early and purchase those hard to get games. The publishers also offer all kinds of incentives as well which vary depending on the publisher. You can check out last year's Geeklist for some examples. Origins 2016 Vendor Volunteer Help Wanted List

UPDATE 8/25/16: Origins has updated their Volunteer Information. If you'd like to volunteer with GAMA/Origins check out the following link for more information: http://originsgamefair.com/volunteersgms/volunteers/ Perks include, a free T-shirt, free admission, and the annual Volunteer Party. If you go the distance and volunteer a minimum of 32 hours you also get your choice of, free hotel, vouchers, or an additional badge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Gotta go slow, gotta go fast, gotta swing low when I walk past..."
badge
Turtle Cat (2/26/16) by Rachel Kremer of semicoop.com
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
Origins Game Fair Official Materials

Here are the last 2 year's (2015/2016) of materials (book and grid) as examples while people wait for the current year's materials to be released in April-ish and June. This should help give an idea of what sort of events can be signed up for in addition to the geeklist events that are organized here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puffing Billy

Allows entry to train games run by the Train Gamers Association. Almost any game with trains is eligible - 18xx, Ticket to Ride, Steam/Age of Steam, Express, Santa Fe, Empire Builder and so on. There are plaques offered for the best overall Train Game player (across multiple categories) as well as plaques for the best 18xx player, Ticket to Ride player, Empire Builder genre player and so on.

Sorry, kids - Thomas the Tank Engine games aren't on the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
Food

North Market (Located at 59 Spruce St.) – North Market is about 2 blocks away from the convention center in the same direction as Barley’s. I never made to North Market last year but I understand that with over 30 vendors there are some awesome restaurants over there. http://www.northmarket.com/

Note that this closes quite early (7 PM? - even earlier on Sunday). Yeah, it's a great option. It's WEST of the convention center (cross the street like you're going to Barley's or the Hampton Inn, but keep going in that direction).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Swanner
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is the first time I am going to Origins. I am a little confused about the ribbons, and playing games while I am there. Am I correct in stating that I will not be able to just sit and play games all day unless I purchase a ribbon? Will there be any places that will have a game library of multiple games besides the Board Room (I know that some of the other ribbons are distributors that will have their games specifically, but I am looking for more of a "just hang out and play whatever" scenario. Thanks in advance for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kswanner70 wrote:
This is the first time I am going to Origins. I am a little confused about the ribbons, and playing games while I am there. Am I correct in stating that I will not be able to just sit and play games all day unless I purchase a ribbon? Will there be any places that will have a game library of multiple games besides the Board Room (I know that some of the other ribbons are distributors that will have their games specifically, but I am looking for more of a "just hang out and play whatever" scenario. Thanks in advance for your help!

The only game library I'm aware of is the CABS library. They have an area that's roped off and requires a ribbon to enter - The Board Room. While I think it's well worth the $20 it's not necessary to get into open gaming. There will be plenty of free open gaming going on all over the convention center and the Hyatt. There will also be a Geeklist posted when it gets closer to June where fellow geeks will be looking for people to join their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
What are you bringing? What are you playing?

At some point in the coming weeks or months a fellow Geek will post a Geeklist where anyone attending the convention can list a game that they will either be bringing with them to schedule for play with others, or that they would like someone to bring so they can play. What games and when they will be scheduled for play is entirely up to the person bringing the game. While nearly all of these games will be free, last year there was one pay event that made it onto the list.
I’ll post a link to that Geeklist as soon as I see it go live.

That'd be me. I'll get that online in December, probably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any word on whether there is going to be an auction this year? Last year there wasn't one due to renovations, but I'm hoping it will return in 2017. If you have any info, let me know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tribefan07 wrote:
Any word on whether there is going to be an auction this year? Last year there wasn't one due to renovations, but I'm hoping it will return in 2017. If you have any info, let me know

No word as yet on the status of an auction. I imagine we won't get that information until after event submission closes in March.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.