Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Board Games World
Saudi Arabia
Jeddah
Jeddah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, this game is quite expensive, it cost 95$ without shipping in Amazon, and in other online stores costs between 82-84$ without shipping. So my question, Do you think the game price is high as this game is newly released? or it will maintain the same price?

Thank you
Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loud smoker
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mb
I bet in 2 month from now it will mark 70 ish.... but then the 2 extras will come out so another rush will start :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is quite expensive as the OP states. I did think when I first opened the box that it was a steep price for the components within, though of course there is the app to consider.

Looking at price trends here in the UK, other big box games, such as Star Wars Rebellion and Star Wars Imperial Assault for example, seem to have held their price. The first example has been out for 5 months now, the second example even longer by far.

I think that if MoM2 shows a steady stream of sales it will not likely go down in price here in the UK.

Looking at various websites, I see the pricing for pre-orders as regards the two 2nd edition expansions; though not sure what the expansion boxes will actually contain, they are not cheap ... not cheap at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
It was $70ish the day it released at Cardhaus.com. It's only just recently gone up to $80.99.
Amazon is always way high on everything, at least everything I have priced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
though of course there is the app to consider.

There are a good number of models for the price, but certainly, I do have to believe that some of the price supports the app itself.

Thus far, I believe we are getting what we paid for. There are two more scenarios (I think for free), so we are definitely getting plenty to start with; especially if you already own the 1st Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mb
shadowsclassic wrote:
It was $70ish the day it released at Cardhaus.com. It's only just recently gone up to $80.99.
Amazon is always way high on everything, at least everything I have priced.

Yes. Never look at Amazon to determine what a "real" price is. Hobby board games there are sold by 3rd parties hoping to take advantage of uninformed buyers.

boardgameprices.com is a fantastic resource for seeing what the best online deal for a game is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Games World
Saudi Arabia
Jeddah
Jeddah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for your input, I tend to choose Amazon as they mostly provide a cheaper shipping cost to KSA

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gracie G
Canada
flag msg tools
locusshifter wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:
though of course there is the app to consider.

There are a good number of models for the price, but certainly, I do have to believe that some of the price supports the app itself.

Thus far, I believe we are getting what we paid for. There are two more scenarios (I think for free), so we are definitely getting plenty to start with; especially if you already own the 1st Edition.

There are 4 scenarios what come with the app

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abaddon Wormwood
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The two free extra scenarios is a misconception. To gain either you either are require buy the two expansions from the first edition or they are released one for each of the up and coming expansions. They bring the game to 1st edition standard completeness as far as maps and figures go.

Either way the end user has paid for them.

Wormwood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of Wormwood wrote:
The two free extra scenarios is a misconception. To gain either you either are require buy the two expansions from the first edition or they are released one for each of the up and coming expansions. They bring the game to 1st edition standard completeness as far as maps and figures go.

Wormwood

How is it a misconception? They could have charged for them, and players would have paid for them.

Besides, I think you're taking my use of "free" too literally, especially when I cited the fact that part of the cost of the game was definitely the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Lord of Wormwood wrote:

Wormwood

How is it a misconception? They could have charged for them, and players would have paid for them.

Besides, I think you're taking my use of "free" too literally, especially when I cited the fact that part of the cost of the game was definitely the app.

No, you're using the word 'free' too loosely.

Anyone who plays those 2 additional scenarios bought some physical product, whether it was the expansion boxes or 1st edition... that's the bottom line.

And you didn't state that 'part of the cost was definitely the App'; you couldn't have stated that as you don't know that to be the case. You SPECULATED that it could be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
locusshifter wrote:
Lord of Wormwood wrote:

Wormwood

No, you're using the word 'free' too loosely.

Anyone who plays those 2 additional scenarios bought some physical product, whether it was the expansion boxes or 1st edition... that's the bottom line.

And you didn't state that 'part of the cost was definitely the App'; you couldn't have stated that as you don't know that to be the case. You SPECULATED that it could be.

Now you're being pedantic. I did in fact say:

Quote:
I do have to believe that some of the price supports the app itself.

The two additional scenarios were announced after the fact, and they are not charging for them, and for all intents purposes are a bonus, and great for everyone.

If you want to pick apart my wording, so be it. We can argue who is right for the rest of this thread, but in the end, no one wins.

So, for the record:

I think the game was a good price. The cost of the app seems to be baked into the cost, and the two additional scenarios are icing on an already delicious cake.

lol, Good enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abaddon Wormwood
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not trying to be special needs but I think you are were glossing over the fact that for the user gain these two additional scenarios they need to either buy both up-and-coming expansions for 2nd Ed. or have the two corresponding 1st Ed. expansions. These 'extra' scenarios' are baked into these purchases.

Now if/when FFG release more scenarios without the need to buy anything more than what has been bought then that is when I would say that they are 'Bonus Content'.

I firmly believe that we will see Bonus Content after the user has all three 'base' set - the core and two upgrade expansions.

It's this that irks me a little - the core game has been release akin to a major Video Gaming Studio, with the game 70% done and then patch it and offer extra content that makes the game 100%. MoM 2nd follows this patten due to one of the two upgrade expansions containing the remaining 30% of the 1st Ed. of monsters and characters (possible tiles too, unsure).

Anyway, I haven't received the game yet (Australia is really far away, it would seem) but I love the fact that it's App Assisted and that additional scenarios will be accessible via the app. So neat and tidy.

Wormwood

*Edited* for past tense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose we should not be unduly surprised - though perhaps disappointed - that FFG are following this model; after all, they are a business and their primary goal is to exist in the positive - and that means making money.

Having had a close look at Mansions of Madness in its original form, I decided against a purchase because I was unsure about how, if at all, this game could be played solo, and also because of the problematic nature of how the game might fare in a group setting due to the cumbersome and seemingly complex setup. But I was interested in the basic nature of the game.

So, when the second edition suddenly appeared out of the heavens with literally no prior warning (at least that was my experience), and given that the above problems appeared to be solved with the incorporation of an app into the proceedings, my initial interest prompted me into an impulse buy.

Having purchased many big box games from FFG in the past - among them Twilight Imperium (3rd Ed) and its two expansions, Star Wars Rebellion, Star Wars Imperial Assault, Eldritch Horror (and all its expansions) - I looked forward to the arrival of MoM2 with great interest.

At this point, let me say I am all in favour of a game being driven by an app/software, as long as it is an integral part of the game and not some candy floss add-on.

I must admit to feeling somewhat taken aback on opening the box. At £70, this game is on a price par with the FFGs' mentioned above (actually, it is slightly more expensive by a few pounds). The tiles are usual FFG standard; sturdy and with beautiful, evocative artwork. The same usual quality from FFG can be attributed to the (smallish) deck of mini cards in the box. The minatures, it has to be said, are nothing special but they are OK, so no real gripes there. The plastic minature bases are a tad brittle in my opinion, but with care they can be utilized.

The rest of the box is a handful of dice and a few investigator cards.

In terms of what you actually get in the box, for £70 it does feel a little light on the ground in my eyes, but I reasoned that the development of the app (as well as its subsequent updates) had to be paid for somehow; rightly or wrongly, I assumed this was factored into the game cost.

That the app did need some work doing on it after the initial release quickly became evident. Give FFG their due, they have acted quickly to address the problems, as it is in their interests for the game to be a success.

I also noted that the game included a conversion kit for owners of the first edition; at first, this appeared redundant to a newcomer, but now I see that it will be used with the two expansions.

I was not surprised to see - following hot on the heels of the release of the game itself - the announcement of two expansions that will add tiles and figures from the 1st edition to the 2nd edition. From a business point of view, it makes for further profitability. However, from the customer's point of view - assuming they are sufficiently enamoured with the base game - they are going to have to pay a hefty price to expand their experience with this game. Currently, discounted pre-orders have appeared online in UK stores, with a price tag of £37.59. (RRP is £46.99). So, if you want to pre-order, that's an additional £75.18. However, these two expansions will include the investigators, minatures and tiles from the 1st edition and the two 1st edition expansions.

So, we are looking at £145 here in the UK in order to get the full experience. With two scenarios then able to be unlocked, players will have a total of 6 scenarios to play.

I am not saying that the 2nd edition base game and two expansions, with 6 scenarios, does not represent value for money. That's for the individual customer to decide. Interestingly enough, if one were to purchase the 1st edition with its two expansions here in the UK, they would have paid £100. With a total cost of £145 (with pre-order discount) some may be tempted to think that the app is not necessarily "free".

It may well be that FFG will release additional scenarios in the future in order to maintain customer interest in the game, but given their previous model of charging for extra print-on-demand scenarios/adventures from the 1st edition, I personally doubt they will be free of charge.

I also see the post which is urging FFG to provide a scenario editor for the 2nd edition game's app ... now I may be missing the point of this, but with a scenario editor - and given the creativity of many BGGers - would that not cut into any FFG plans to release paid-for scenarios/adventures down the line?

We are all entitled to our opinions; mine is that the cost of the app with its existing (and two upcoming) scenarios has been factored into the cost of the base game and the two upcoming expansions. I also believe that any scenarios/adventures beyond these 6 will have to be paid for.

Edit: Spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Since digital packages can (and will) be hacked, I expect future scenarios to be free but unplayable without extra content/expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
dougposkitt wrote:

So, we are looking at £145 here in the UK in order to get the full experience. With two scenarios then able to be unlocked, players will have a total of 6 scenarios to play.

I am not saying that the 2nd edition base game and two expansions, with 6 scenarios, does not represent value for money. That's for the individual customer to decide. Interestingly enough, if one were to purchase the 1st edition with its two expansions here in the UK, they would have paid £100. With a total cost of £145 (with pre-order discount) some may be tempted to think that the app is not necessarily "free".

You're arbitrarily including the two new expansions as part of the "full" experience. When I bought 2E, they hadn't even been announced. They're expansions, they're extra stuff for if you like the base game and want more bits.

There will be other expansions in the future too, so the total cost of buying the "complete" experience will continue to increase.

In terms of 1E, you'd also be looking at another £80 for the remaining scenario expansions, for the "complete" experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Point taken. How about I use the term "interim experience"?

The crux of my opinion in this respect is that there is clearly a price difference between the two editions and to that I attribute the cost of the app.

But hey, price increases are part of life in general, so why should this hobby be any different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
dougposkitt wrote:

The crux of my opinion in this respect is that there is clearly a price difference between the two editions and to that I attribute the cost of the app.

But hey, price increases are part of life in general, so why should this hobby be any different?

Yup - inflation and such tends to push up prices. It's very noticeable with FFG games as they never increase the price with a reprint. 1E cost the same the end of last year as it did when released five years ago. What that does mean is that when a new edition comes out, the price jumps up hugely. It would have much less noticeable if FFG put up the price of 1E by $5 every year.

But yeah, there's definitely a cost to the app as well. I just think these two new expansions are a bit weird to some degree. We'll probably never see another MoM expansion with as many minis as those boxes for those prices. And we'll probably never see another MoM expansion with as few scenarios for the price as in these boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:

Yup - inflation and such tends to push up prices. It's very noticeable with FFG games as they never increase the price with a reprint. 1E cost the same the end of last year as it did when released five years ago. What that does mean is that when a new edition comes out, the price jumps up hugely. It would have much less noticeable if FFG put up the price of 1E by $5 every year.

But yeah, there's definitely a cost to the app as well. I just think these two new expansions are a bit weird to some degree. We'll probably never see another MoM expansion with as many minis as those boxes for those prices. And we'll probably never see another MoM expansion with as few scenarios for the price as in these boxes.

Don't forget the exchange rate tanking following the EU referendum. That combined with the Asmodee-led FFG price increases for online retailers led to a real price shock for this one, £93RRP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
For those that say its expensive (it is), did you notice the quality and quantity of the tiles?

3 more tiles than 1st edition base set and first expansion put together!

I think that fact has been completely overlooked in the rush to pontificate about the $$$ value of the app.

To those who say but there are less components due to missing cards the app handles, I look at the large amount of double sided tiles (24) compared to 1st edition base (15) and laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka Lindström
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I also see the post which is urging FFG to provide a scenario editor for the 2nd edition game's app ... now I may be missing the point of this, but with a scenario editor - and given the creativity of many BGGers - would that not cut into any FFG plans to release paid-for scenarios/adventures down the line?

Well, FFG could offer that as a payable service (for the scenario users).

I would be happy to pay for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spotH3D wrote:
For those that say its expensive (it is), did you notice the quality and quantity of the tiles?

I think that fact has been completely overlooked in the rush to pontificate about the $$$ value of the app.

To those who say but there are less components due to missing cards the app handles, I look at the large amount of double sided tiles (24) compared to 1st edition base (15) and laugh.

Offering an opinion that the development and maintenance cost of the app may have been factored into the price of the game is not being pompous or dogmatic. There have been many posts on the internet where this opinion has been offered ... why should it be put down as pontificating?

Edit: spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phil mccrackin
msg tools
spotH3D wrote:

Then you think some cardboard and previously unreleased art assets are worth $30.00?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phil mccracken wrote:

Then you think some cardboard and previously unreleased art assets are worth $30.00?

I believe he is saying they are worth more than $0 but has been overlooked in every discussion about the price.

Personally I do not feel that the price is a lot higher than usual, maybe $5-$10 but not a lot. Might be because I live in Sweden and board games are generally quite expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
phil mccracken wrote:
spotH3D wrote:

If you're not willing to pay $30 for a bunch of cardboard then you probably don't buy many board games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.