Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: ground attack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Russ
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
The cinematic play should include this. It is part of the movie lore and so you would assume that some one would have seen that and made it part of the game. I will just have to make my own.
At-At's can be targets for the rebels and some buildings for something the Tie bomber can hit. The D&D Attack wing rules will give an idea how to move forward

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mork Toblerone
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of having missions that involve rescuing people on the ground, or loading/offloading ground troops. Could take an action to land, and action (or more than one) to load/unload, and another action to takeoff. It would require allied ships to cover and run interference, and enemy ships could target the landed ship or its troops while they are exposed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree. X-Wing should not try to capture EVERYTHING STAR WARS. There are other games for capturing ground assault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
X-Wing is a great game for capturing ground attack missions. The scale is good for 6mm-10mm figures. There is a fan made project that covers these rules here:

http://xwingassault.com/

PS: I am biased as I helped write these rules.

The big mistake would be to "carbon copy" the X-Wing rules for all different vehicles and troops. For example: giving them "movement dials" does not suit these ground units as it limits their freedom of movement.
Likewise having to have different damage cards for separate units would be silly.

The aspects of X-Wing that do work well are the ability to customize units with various upgrades and simple dice and action mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just reimplement RuneWars: Miniatures Game with Star Wars figures, and there you go.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could just play Star Wars Miniatures or Assault on Hoth: The Empire Strikes Back or Star Wars: Imperial Assault or Star Wars Miniatures Battles. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Until they bring in X-Wing and TIE Fighters at 28mm scale for Imperial Assault then no, none of the above games are suitable for air to ground combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Russ
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thanks for the link. D&D attack wing seems to give the best way forward and the dials will keep things consistent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Russ
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
FFG already have a way to move forward with X-wing. D&D Attack Wing has ground units. I will be using that. My first test went really well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Russ
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Slashdoctor wrote:
I disagree. X-Wing should not try to capture EVERYTHING STAR WARS. There are other games for capturing ground assault.

The problem is they talk about cinematic play and to to the you have to do aircraft flying over land battles. It is an essential part of the movie lore and story. I do not play tournaments and am only interested in large scale play. This expands the possibilities of what can be done with this simple and fun little game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Russ
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
DB Draft wrote:
Until they bring in X-Wing and TIE Fighters at 28mm scale for Imperial Assault then no, none of the above games are suitable for air to ground combat.

I agree!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.