Subject: Strategic/Tactical Reserves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Squibb
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I haven't played this game in a while, but I had had a variant idea that might ameliorate the problems many people have pointed out about the low risk attrition tactics on the Western Front - where the Allies chew up the Germans by trying to launch as many 4:1 attacks as possible on single-stacked hexes.

My thought was to allow both sides to keep a front-wide reserve of several units (in an off-map box)which can deploy during the combat phase between declaring the attackers and determining the odds. This capability should start when the trenches are in place, beginning with a small number of units in the reserve and gradually increasing as the war goes on. The Germans should have a significant advantage in this reserve capability, at least until later in the war.

Alternatively, headquarters units could have tactical reserves stacked with them that could do a response move during the combat phase, perhaps borrowing "Reserve" markers from an OCS game, or something like that.

The aim is to reduce the certainty of the attack results, and cause the attacker to either behave with more caution to keep his own casualties low, or with more aggression to be certain to inflict casualties.

I'd like to hear opinions and suggestions on this as to historicity, game balance effect, etc. before I spend a lot of time testing it, as well as to get suggestions for appropriate numbers of units to hold in reserve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Festus Kira
Tanzania
Dar Es Salaam
Tansania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Until not so long ago I would have probably agreed that there is a problem with the game in 1916, when the Allies attrition tactics finish off the German Army in the west. It happened in quite a few games I played that the CP player had to give up in 1916.

In the meantime however it has been demonstrated to me that the problem is not with the game but rather with the CP-player. In two games my opponent showed me how the CP side can avoid that the 1916 attrition tactics in the west almost always lead to an Allied victory; I lost in 1917 (the game was documented on CSW forum).
I believe it is a question of strategy and choosing the right tactics. Unfortunatly I do not know how he did it. I lost the second game as well.

That said I think your idea of a tactical reserve (chit?) is interesting. The impact on the game and the number of units should be very limited (1-2?). I am not sure if something like that has any historic background?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Squibb
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I agree that the game is balanced, and personally I'd rather play as the CP. I was looking for a way to make the offensives be structured in a more historical way, and increase the drama for both players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Festus Kira
Tanzania
Dar Es Salaam
Tansania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are ever looking for an (AP) opponent I am always very keen to play. And if you would like to test your idea with the tactical reserve chit I am keen to test it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.