Subject: Best Module? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who have played Asylum, Marcy, Prophesy of Dragons, Mask, and Expedition Endurance, which is best?

I'd love to see some people's rankings of favorites of the ones people have played. I'm also curious which are the longest, and which one people recommend I pick up first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing = Asylum. Nothing is close.

Great = Prophesy of Dragons, balance hurt it some.

Meh = Marcy and Mask
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played Mask yet, but I agree with SeerMagic on the other three
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well you cant play the game with out buying Asylum so I suggest you start there!

My favorites:

#1 Asylum for the puzzle/story
#2 Marcy for the puzzle of which girl is it
#3 Mask - I liked how they mixed it up
#4 Prophesy - this one was my least favorite, but I love T.I.M.E Stories so it doesn't mean it's a bad expansion by any stretch. Just more fighting than I wanted and was missing something I mistakenly thought it would include from the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed them in this order:

Marcy Case
Asylum
Prophecy of Dragons
Under The Mask

Although, I enjoyed Under the Mask's ending the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Vandermeulen
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Have enjoyed playing them all, and they are each different. I would recommend playing them in the order they were released, rather than basing the order on other people's favorites.

I would rank them:
1. Prophecy of Dragons
2. Under the Mask
3. Asylum
4. Marcy

Prophecy of Dragons is the only one I know members of our group (myself included) would be interested in doing another run of to try a different mix of characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jono Naito
United States
Red Hook
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think my enjoyment was dependent on my play group:

1. Under the Mask
2. Asylum
3. The Marcy Case
4. A Prophecy of Dragons

I played Under the Mask 2 players late at night with some drinks and we got very into it. Intense planning, funny voices, etc.

Asylum was four player and introduced us to the game. We had no qualms and enjoyed the story deeply.

The Marcy Case is close behind Asylum. Same group, a few days later. We played it and got into it, but I got distracted by something when the other half of my game group played. They showed a flaw that doesn't exist in the other games by guessing/cheating past puzzles, which could have been subtle fixes.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
They cheated by memorizing the blue barcode, and just first-guessed their way past the code.

A Prophecy of Dragons was rough for us because our game group shifted between runs and the added complexity caused two or three misunderstandings that ruined perfectly good runs for us.

In the end, I am of the opinion that all the scenarios are quite good. It really heavily relies on your group as well, and what you happen to like (combat, puzzle, theme, gimmicks, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My order would be:

1. Asylum
2. Marcy Case
3. Under the Mask

173. Prophecy of Dragons

(I really hated Prophecy of Dragons)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably rank them as follows.

1st: Under the Mask
2nd: Marcy Case
3rd: Asylum
4th: Prophecy of Dragons

My reasons won't spoil too much, but just in case:

Asylum:
Even though this wasn't my favorite, it was still great as a first mission and really demonstrated what kind of surprises the game can throw at you.

Marcy Case:
This one was pretty great too. I feel like there were more hints given in the story to make proper decisions in this one which was cool.

Prophecy of Dragons:
My group and I ended up really disliking this one. Took a very long time, and it seemed like the best way to beat it was still pretty brutal and relied a lot on chance. The second half of the scenario was much better though. On the plus side, I feel like this is the one scenario you could replay a couple times since there was so much content.

Under the Mask
Maybe this was my favorite just because we had such an unfun time with Prophecy. I appreciated the unique setting and that it was a less combat focused mission. Also the writing/dialogue was really great with this one I thought. The red herrings were implemented a lot more subtly compared to Marcy and Asylum too, which I liked. This one had more actual shortcuts you unlocked between missions than any other scenario which was both good and bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. T.I.M.E Stories: Under the Mask
2. T.I.M.E Stories: A Prophecy of Dragons
3. T.I.M.E Stories: Asylum
4. T.I.M.E Stories: The Marcy Case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Couzens
Australia
East Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
Haven't yet finished Under the Mask (1 run in) but so far I am enjoying it tremendously, and if it keeps up the style it currently has it may become my favourite.

Of the others, my favourite is the Marcy Case. I'll put my reason in spoiler tags, though it is not too spoilery but does perhaps suggest a way to approach the module.
Its use of puzzles was very clever, with the puzzles emerging naturally from the environment rather than being designated as abstract puzzles. This is what I am enjoying about Under the Mask at the moment as well – it involves deduction based on environmental clues, rather than a simplistic "this is a puzzle now solve it" card. I understand that Marcy Case included some puzzles that could be brute forced, but my group enjoys TIME Stories as an experience rather than as a game to get as high a score on as possible, and so we aren't interested in trying to find mechanical workarounds for these kinds of things.

Second (but only by a tiny bit) is Asylum.
Asylum had a good mix of things, but I just thought the puzzling was integrated a tad more naturally in Marcy Case.

Prophecy of Dragons... was horrible. It was like they took all of TIME Stories' potential flaws and threw them into a single scenario. I actually rage quitted part way through it because the mechanics were so frustrating, broken and unenjoyable. My explanation is going to be very spoilery, so read at your peril.
The opening seemed promising, providing multiple pathways, but this strategy only works if you make it through the first time (as it adds replayability). If you fail the first time due to the ridiculous, stupid bottleneck where if you didn't happen to buy the right gear or didn't happen to bring the right characters, or just happen to roll your dice poorly, you will be devastated. The agility roll to go down the well with 4 players means you are leaking TU right and left unless every single one of your characters is masterful at rolling dice. And yes, we attempted to use the potion and then replicate it with the character who does that, but guess what? They failed the necessary dice roll. The problem is that despite PoD offering different paths, if you already almost passed and then failed at that moment, you're sent back to the beginning with zero motivation to experiment and try a different path, as you already know what is needed for the path you just tried. Except you fail again because of poor dice rolling and have to return to the start for a third time. Unlike Marcy Case or Asylum, where you return each time with a little more knowledge and are able to piece aspects of your different runs together, PoD turns into drudge work very quickly. Knowing what you need to do doesn't actually make it any quicker. And then, when we finally get through the well we reach the second half, which does a great job adding some story elements, but then ruins that good will with what basically amounts to a horrible, drawn out dungeon crawl. No joke, our first time through the dungeons or whatever they were we got a TPK almost instantly due entirely to random card draws and poor dice rolling. That was the point at which I quit (we drew a card that caused us to each lose 1 life with no way of blocking it, and we all died because of that), while the rest of my group started again (from the checkpoint) and – what do you know? – made it through no problem because THIS time they happened to draw cards that gave them life or TU instead of taking it away. Replaying PoD was boring because there was never anything to discover, just dice to continually, unendingly roll, and too much of what occurred was completely random. It's frustrating that it also kind of had the most important story.

If you're trying to decide what order to play them in, it is best to do it in order. There is a metanarrative that you will miss out on a bit if you change it up. And despite what I say about Prophecy of Dragons, I do appreciate that the TIME Stories system allows such variety in gameplay style between scenarios, and it makes me excited to see what else could be done. Perhaps an implementation of PoD style gameplay could be achieved that I would enjoy? Certainly all the other scenarios have been excellent for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything is subjective.

My favourites:

1. Marcy
2. Under the Mask
3. Asylym
4. Prophecy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really interesting that it does not seem that one is clearly better then the other, so it seems most depends on the likes of the players and how their run went. I think this shows that they are all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asylum to me has the best puzzles and integration of those puzzles.

Marcy to me has maybe the best "structure" as it had a few different branches that you should all explore but once you "solved" one you didn't have to repeat everything again, so it felt the least repetitive so far (which I still fell can be a problem of the overall system)

Prophecy to me has the best "customization" as you can kind of "solve" the game differently depending on which roles you pick.

Under the mask to me introduced the most interesting new mechanism to the game.

So overall there are aspects in all of them I enjoy, but it's a bit hard to say which one I like best (overall I probably like Asylum and Marcy a bit more than the other two) and I'm still waiting for one that combines it all in the best way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Mask yet, but I've found that each one gets slightly better than the last. Asylum was tremendous, but I preferred Marcy. Dragons, though, is even better for me and my group. We liked the idea that in this one choosing your receptacle seemed much more important than the others. We chose a strategy (below, in spoilers) and hoped for the best. When it paid off, we were so thrilled!

We didn't take any fighters at all, nor did we buy any fighting items. 2 magic guys, a thief and a ranger, and hoped that we could use magic in the castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Griffard
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've really enjoyed TIME Stories and have really enjoyed 3 of the 4 scenarios I've played. My rankings:

1. Marcy Case

This felt like TIME Stories' time travel method done right. I also think this game works best with a set cast of characters. The DNA match was so satisfying.

2. Asylum

I hated the concept of the third run and felt like it made the "game" part of TIME Stories completely pointless. The experience was otherwise highly entertaining.

3. Prophecy of Dragons

I really liked the concept of preparing for a second act, but in practice we played the first act three times and the second act once and did not expect to suddenly finish. The maze part blew my mind.

4. Under the Mask

This was frustrating in multiple ways. I hated the switching of characters and felt hindered by it rather than excited by it. It seems like you need a few specific characters and if you don't have them you won't have enough time, but it takes four runs to figure that out. I think that's the major problem I had with this one - it took longer than all the others, but in the worst way possible. Many of the areas felt pointless, and it had few memorable moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading all of the above posts, it seems there is a clear consensus among all T.I.M.E Stories players in the ranking of the adventures.

NOT. (Borrowed from an expedition to the 1980s.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Asylum
- Mask
- Marcy, PoD (maybe PoD even fourth)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
After reading all of the above posts, it seems there is a clear consensus among all T.I.M.E Stories players in the ranking of the adventures.
I've scored each scenario 4, 3, 2, 1 depending on how peopled have ordered them (scenarios not played score null), and then averaged the scores; the results from the posts above (and I may have fiddled a few to make them fit my categorisation) are:

3.0 Asylum
2.7 The Marcy Case
2.6 Under The Mask
2.0 A Prophecy of Dragons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I wrote I nice summary, missing the "Under the Mask". But I will add them this or next month

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1527299/review-about-first-3...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooperman wrote:

3.0 Asylum
2.7 The Marcy Case
2.6 Under The Mask
2.0 A Prophecy of Dragons

So they are still close together, but PoD is maybe a bit left
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul Schaupp
Germany
Karlsbad
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourites T.I.M.E. Stories adventures:

1. Under the Mask
2. Asylum
3. Marcy
4. Prophecy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really surprised the love Mask gets. We all found it fine, but really boring. It felt like the vacation of the time stories modules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hainz
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an old RPG player, for me it's like:

PoD, part 1 - sooo atmospheric
Asylum - solid
PoD, part 2 - too abrupt, too mixed up
Marcy - too random and too many possible shortcuts
UtM - totally linear and crappy, unnerving mechanisms, not logical sometimes

For the unofficial expansions, I would rate Morpheus (marvellous atmosphere, story and puzzles) and Black Knight (really hard puzzles, but many high five moments) above them all, and Switching Gears (solid and straightforward) between Asylum and PoD, part 2. (The other unofficial expansions I've played were far from finished.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Chris, do you have links for those two homebrews? I can't seem to find them.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.