GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 74.03

5,067 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
31.9% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
The judge in the Turner case appears to have set quite the precedent.

Alas, there are no scenic dumpsters or Swedes on bikes after midnight to discuss here. I suppose we can talk about how finger rape isn't a thing. Because there probably isn't anything else concerning to discuss here, amirite?

(1) David Becker

http://deadspin.com/high-school-athlete-charged-with-sexuall...

The crime: According to court documents, Becker is accused of penetrating the victims with his finger. The police report also states that one of the victims told police she had drank vodka and had to be helped up to the bedroom.

After leaving the room, she said she received a text message from Becker at 5:13 a.m., stating “sorry, its my fault.” Another text Becker allegedly sent her about 2½ hours later says, “Very sorry about last night I was very much in the wrong and was an embarrassment ... I understand if I’m not your favorite person right now.”

The recommended sentence:
Two years in prison.

The actual sentence: Continuation of the case without a finding for two years, which will include drug testing and an evaluation for sex offender treatment. He will not have any jail time. He will not have to register as a sex offender. The offense won’t appear on his record as long as he fulfills the terms of his probation. He will receive a conviction only if he reoffends.

Attorney's statement: “He can now look forward to a productive life without being burdened with the stigma of having to register as a sex offender. The goal of this sentence was not to impede this individual from graduating high school and to go onto the next step of his life, which is a college experience. We all made mistakes when we were 17, 18, 19 years old, and we shouldn’t be branded for life with a felony offense and branded a sex offender. Putting this kid in jail for two years would have destroyed this kid’s life.”

(2) Austin James Wilkerson

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/08/colorado-college-student-con...

The crime: Austin James Wilkerson, 22, was convicted of sexually assaulting a “helpless” female student who had been drinking at a party after he reassured her friends he would take care of her. When questioned by a university investigator, Wilkerson said that he had made “repeated advances on the victim, but that she rebuffed him each time,” and that he felt “pissed off” and that she was a “fucking bitch,” according to prosecutors. He later said that the victim had responded to him “passionately.” Finally, he admitted that he “digitally and orally penetrated” the woman while he “wasn’t getting much of a response from her.”

The recommended sentence: Prison time.

The actual sentence: Two years in a jail work-release program that will allow him to attend school and work during the day and return to jail in the evening.

Judge's statement: "I’ve struggled, to be quite frank, with the idea of, ‘Do I put him in prison?’ I don’t know that there is any great result for anybody. Mr. Wilkerson deserves to be punished, but I think we all need to find out whether he truly can or cannot be rehabilitated.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you contending that jail and registering on a sex offenders list for decades or life would be the correct sentence? (Correct, in that it would result in the best result for society?)

I'm not necessarily arguing, but curious as to what you would sentence as judge with the data provided?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I thought if your on the sex offender list, your probably looking at a 9mm exit as it'll pretty much preclude you from most jobs and society in general. I think that's the main commentary regarding the shorter incarceration periods at least.

edit Reread the final sentence, wtf not even registering as an offender??? WTF. I fully support getting some pitchforks on this one, hand waiving the jail if they're on the offender list is one thing, but this is just hand waiving everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
qzhdad wrote:
Are you contending that jail and registering on a sex offenders list for decades or life would be the correct sentence? (Correct, in that it would result in the best result for society?)

I'm not necessarily arguing, but curious as to what you would sentence as judge with the data provided?

Prison for at least a few years for sure. It's not like we don't send people to prison for much, much less like drug possession. I've never been a bit fan of the sex offender list myself because it makes rehabilitation difficult, but that's a general criticism of the list itself. Maybe for repeat offenders...or pedos.

I think no prison is not serving the cause of justice. It's about a lot more than rehabilitation. We punish people for retributive purposes as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
draxx01 wrote:
I thought if your on the sex offender list, your probably looking at a 9mm exit as it'll pretty much preclude you from most jobs and society in general. I think that's the main commentary regarding the shorter incarceration periods at least.

See my comment above about sex offender lists. The issue here to my mind isn't whether we should put him on a list that is unjust in certain ways, but whether either of them should get zero prison time for what was a life-changing event for the person (or persons in the case of Becker) that each of them victimized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
she2 wrote:
draxx01 wrote:

See my comment above about sex offender lists. The issue here to my mind isn't whether we should put him on a list that is unjust in certain ways, but whether either of them should get zero prison time for what was a life-changing event for the person (or persons in the case of Becker) that each of them victimized.

Yeah, i reread their final sentences and I'm pretty appalled tbh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
she2 wrote:
qzhdad wrote:

Prison for at least a few years for sure. It's not like we don't send people to prison for much, much less like drug possession. I've never been a bit fan of the sex offender list myself because it makes rehabilitation difficult, but that's a general criticism of the list itself. Maybe for repeat offenders...or pedos.

I think no prison is not serving the cause of justice. It's about a lot more than rehabilitation. We punish people for retributive purposes as well.

I'll agree with that, we seem to want vengeance over justice, and continue to punish people for stuff after they have supposedly served their time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
draxx01 wrote:
she2 wrote:
qzhdad wrote:

I'll agree with that, we seem to want vengeance over justice, and continue to punish people for stuff after they have supposedly served their time.

Definitely. I think there's an analogy to depriving felons of the right to vote. If they were sentenced and served their time, then that should be the end of it.

On the other hand, these guys aren't even really doing the time they should have to begin with. I don't see any point in having them on a sex offender list unless they repeat, but the lack of punishment is just stupid. It sends a pretty clear message that they didn't do anything wrong and it was just "a mistake" as Becker's attorney put it. Let's be clear. He didn't make a "mistake". He committed a crime. A mistake would be dropping his beer on his date, not his fingers finding their way into two people's vaginas. Why these judges are having difficulty with that is beyond me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:

I agree with you. Two years seems about right to me. Zero prison time is an outrage.

I also agree with you about the sex offender lists. I don't think we should use them at all, but if we do, they should be reserved for repeat offenders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Five years would have been more appropriate in the first case; I'd say 10 years for the second case.

Frankly, as a man, I am sick of this shit. Mostly because I have daughters and the idea of them being raped almost makes me throw up. But also, because as a man, I'm tired of women looking at me while I'm walking down the street and wondering if I'm the rapist. It's just like those assholes who beat and rape their wives and children, and/or end up murdering the whole family. I'm NOT ONE OF THEM!!!

On an entirely different subject:
How do you orally penetrate a woman -- or is this legalese for forced blowjob?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
Prison for at least a few years for sure.

Prison ?!?!?! Again, you obviously are connected somehow to these rape stories in some tragic way that has clouded your judgement.

Quote:
Neither victim was at the court hearing. One did say in her victim impact statement that she did not believe jail time was needed

Perhaps you can make this your new thing, like JerBer did with the "while black" posts. oh , you could start posting all the "while drunk" posts !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Yeah.

As soon as you come out for enforcing the law against women who make false allegations we will take your opinion seriously.

It's cute when women try to have opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
she2 wrote:
Oh Koldie, I can't read your post. I'm sure you had something wonderful to say here though. I can tell you were the last poster though. It must be so productive for you to show up and blargle at me about something though. You can't stop yourself apparently. Taxi drivers and self-control. Unfortunately, I can't read your post. Alas.

In other words -

Jesus, what a fucking dumb ass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
She read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank goodness the Think Of The Menz! pro-rape coalition finally weighed in. It just wouldn't be a rape discussion without their valuable input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
She read it.

Of course she did. Although I can't imagine why any decent woman-lawyer would want to read the low-class dribblings of a mere cab driver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
But then again, she's probably done reading my comments, so we can actually have an intelligent conversation.

Why is it that women and faggots can blatantly break the rules around here?

Is it no longer an unacceptable, banning offense to advertise your plonk list?

This is like the third time in recent months it's been clearly alluded to.

I'm sure no one flagged them. I know I didn't.

Has it been changed?

I guess we'll see. This post ought to get enough flags to bring the cavalry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Ilthuain wrote:
Thank goodness the Think Of The Menz! pro-rape coalition finally weighed in. It just wouldn't be a rape discussion without their valuable input.

Pro rape?

Thank you for that valuable insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
But then again, she's probably done reading my comments, so we can actually have an intelligent conversation.

Why is it that women and faggots can blatantly break the rules around here?

Is it no longer an unacceptable, banning offense to advertise your plonk list?

This is like the third time in recent months it's been clearly alluded to.

I'm sure no one flagged them. I know I didn't.

Has it been changed?

I guess we'll see. This post ought to get enough flags to bring the cavalry.

Using the word faggot will get you flagged for sure. And yes, the rules state:

Quote:
Using the hide list to taunt/antagonize is a zero-tolerance offense and will result in immediate moderation.

My assumption is that the moderators never come here and tell anyone to can it. Until they do, as evidenced by a few people being banned. So it appears to be capricious. Capricious non-moderation! Sounds like my ideal setting for mayhem and anarchy. The rules also say:

Quote:
Bigotry (e.g. racism, sexism, homophobia)

Except when this stuff is actually okay. I assume that the ageists here don't understand what e.g. means and just decided that since age wasn't specifically spelled out then old people are fair game. In current society (as you well know) all women, all minorities, all Muslims (the only RSP acceptable religion) all trans-this and trans-that's, all manner of humans and animals that aren't white, male and/or male/not-so-white or any sexual preference other than heterosexual are free to shit anywhere they please. But if a white male who isn't fat, disabled, queer or trans or Muslim or a Hillary/Bernie supporter so much as farts, he is Hitler.

I do think there is room somewhere for a good discussion about why men are auto-criminals and women receive free drinks with their get-out-of-jail card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Ilthuain wrote:

Pro rape?

Thank you for that valuable insight.

No problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
she2 wrote:
Oh Koldie, I can't read your post. I'm sure you had something wonderful to say here though. I can tell you were the last poster though. It must be so productive for you to show up and blargle at me about something though. You can't stop yourself apparently. Taxi drivers and self-control. Unfortunately, I can't read your post. Alas.

And this just occurred to me as I was laughing about some other ignorant RSPer.

If you are just a lawyer, I probably have more higher education than you.

How does it feel to be less educated than the guy who recognizes you for the bigot you are?

Could be wrong, but I think those odds are good. The odds aren't quite as good that I make more money than you, but I've never had the impression money mattered much to you, either.

That's one thing I'd give you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"But if a white male who isn't fat, disabled, queer or trans or Muslim or a Hillary/Bernie supporter so much as farts, he is Hitler."

I'm not Hitler!

I'm Napolean!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesus, this thread went south fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
What the fuck do you expect, they have to take their stand in the "war on me" (who cannot keep their dick inside their trousers).

If women did not want to be sexually assaulted then they would wear an all over body suit and never go out unless unaccompanied by the man who owns them...

It's their own fault for not assuming all men are rapist wankers who think they have a right to sex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
AdrianPHague wrote:

The OP?

Agreed.

Then you showed up.

Suddenly she looked smart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.