Subject: Barricades rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Mcleod
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
Hey folks, just finished first playthrough and have a few questions about barricades?

1) if an NPC relocates from one room to another with a barricade between, does that count as the the NPC moved the barrivade away? Or do our investigators have to still spend an action to move it? (Assuming the NPC climber over/around the barricade thematically)

2) if a monster loses its brawn skill check vs a barricade, what do we select on the app? No investigators within range? Or the monster attacks and just ignore the effects and movement associated?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1) You have to spend an action to move the barricade away before passing through to the next room.

2) If the monster fails it's brawn check, then it's movement is forfeited. Any other aspect of their turn is still valid. So for example if the monster was attempting to move in order to attack an investigator in range, and was unsuccessful in moving due to the barricade, then the monster is NOT in range, then you would select "No investigator in range".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
RyanMcleod wrote:
Hey folks, just finished first playthrough and have a few questions about barricades?

1) if an NPC relocates from one room to another with a barricade between, does that count as the the NPC moved the barrivade away? Or do our investigators have to still spend an action to move it? (Assuming the NPC climber over/around the barricade thematically)

Person tokens don't "move" using the move rules, they just know ways to navigate the secret packages. The barricades do not affect them.

RyanMcleod wrote:

2) if a monster loses its brawn skill check vs a barricade, what do we select on the app? No investigators within range? Or the monster attacks and just ignore the effects and movement associated?

Thanks

The monster will not attack. You should pick the no effect option, whether "no investigators in space" or "no investigators in the space".

This does add a wrinkle...

"The cultist moves 2 spaces to be in a space with an investigator with the least dogs."
*Barricade* "The cultist cannot move into a space with an investigator."
"The cultist moves two spaces toward the nearest investigator."
[B]Do you repeat the barricade test?[/q]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mcleod
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
Thanks Folks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mxyzptlk wrote:

The monster will not attack. You should pick the no effect option, whether "no investigators in space" or "no investigators in the space".

This does add a wrinkle...

"The cultist moves 2 spaces to be in a space with an investigator with the least dogs."
*Barricade* "The cultist cannot move into a space with an investigator."
"The cultist moves two spaces toward the nearest investigator."
Do you repeat the barricade test?

I've wondered about this too. (Although I remember "The monster moves in order to be in range with as many investigators as possible" as the more common setup for that)

A literal interpretation says that the monster couldn't move into a space with an investigator, so you pick that option. But the intent of that option seems to be to let the monster move once if it didn't move into position to attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Treating it as two instances of move leads to weird effects, such as the monster being able to move more spaces if the first barricade attempt fails, but the second does not.

For example, consider the following line up of spaces:

I_|_M

where I is an Investigator, M is a monster, _ are empty spaces and | is a door.

If the door is not barricaded, and the monster were given the instruction 'Move two spaces to be within range', then the monster would move to the space left of the door.

If the door were barricaded, and the monster were given the same instruction and failed the test, it would stay on the other side of the door. If you then follow the second instruction from the app to try to move two spaces towards the closest Investigatior and this time the monster knocked down the barricade, it would move all the way to the Investigator's space, a total of 3 movement!

That's clearly not intended.

I thus think the best current method is probably to ignore the second option for movement. You can consider the second instruction in the app to be part of the same action as the first, so the whole thing is forfeit.

Hopefully they detect this weirdness and add an option to the app that allows you to indicate the monster was blocked by a barricade, as that seems to be the most elegant way to solve the current problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Old Forge
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up in my last game, and I played it where I ignored the second movement. The rules reference (under barricades) says that should a monster fail to break through the barricade it forfeits its movement.

I hope that refers to all movement, else I cheated. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the current ruling?

If the first movement was stopped by a barricade, then if the app says to move again because no investigators in range.. it stops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frotes wrote:
Is this the current ruling?

If the first movement was stopped by a barricade, then if the app says to move again because no investigators in range.. it stops.

We have no ruling yet. Some of us think you should treat every instruction as separate. Others think the second instruction is part of the original movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Binder
United States
Willow Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We've been playing that if the monster gets a second movement after failing a barricade, it gets a second attempt at that barricade. Frequently it fails that one, too.

Some monsters get second movements; some don't. So we play those as if intended now. (Initially we thought they might be bugs, but since they still seem to be happening, we're taking it as a second move.) Also, sometimes that second move will be worded differently, so pay attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.