Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Time Limit Suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi all,

There are a couple of members in our group with a bad case of "analysis paralysis." Just to put it in context, the overlord once took over an hour just to set up an encounter. Set up! It's usually not that bad, but our sessions take a really long time.

I'm just wondering if there's a way to impose a time limit. Can you give me your thoughts on this?

I was thinking maybe 1 minute per hero (so in a 4P game, it would take 4 min) and for the OL, how about 30 sec per monster on the board +1 min (to allow for reinforcements etc.)

Any ideas for something like this? Is my suggestion good?
Keep in mind I actually mainly play first edition, but we occasionally play second as well, and the same problem occurs, and this board is much more active...

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My group decided to do 10 min heroes (all four together), 10 min OL turns. Works out well, mostly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
does your overlord have access to ms excel? I have something for speeding up open group selection if that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Piorkowski
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
They shouldn't have any issues setting things up. They have access to what is going on in the mission and can plan accordingly. When I play as overlord I have all my deployment troops picked out. When my group won an ally I planned ahead for it. though I think by technical rules I cant change my deployment groups up when they decide to use an ally. But my group was accomadating about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bowie
Spain
Inca
Baleares
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest to use a sand timer of 2 minutes.

The Heroes can talk about the incoming turn for 2 minutes (planning, suggestions,...) When the timer is off, every player has 2 minutes to take his turn and nobody can talk to make suggestions, pointing tactical mistakes,... Because the players discussed the turn previously, the 2 minutes limit per player is usually not reached in our games.

When the Heroes end their turns, the Overlord has 2 minutes to prepare the turn and then he has no time restrictions to move, attack and play cards. If the Overlord has Analysis Paralysis (is not our case), you can use the 2 sand timer twice for 4 minutes in the Overlord turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
Great, thank you for the suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Summer
Germany
flag msg tools
and what happens if the time for the heroes/ol is over ?
any penalty ?

most of the times our four heroes needs ca. 30min for their turn. poor OL :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bowie
Spain
Inca
Baleares
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carsten1977 wrote:
and what happens if the time for the heroes/ol is over ?
any penalty ?

most of the times our four heroes needs ca. 30min for their turn. poor OL :-)

In our games only a few times the 2 minute limit has been reached. If the players can discuss the next turn before it actually starts, the whole turn runs smoothly because its forbidden to make suggestions or pointing tactical mistakes (except rules mistakes).

If the time runs out and the player is about to throw dice or ending a movement, the Overlord and the other players can be flexible and let the player end his turn. In fact, we usually don't control the timer when the player is throwing dice or doing last movements.

If reaching the limit it's usual for a player, you can decide to end his turn when the timer is off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decide on the quest beforehand and make sure all players have read and understood the quest rules before sitting down to play. Ideally have the overlord set up the quest before the heroes arrive but that may be pushing it.

1 hour setup time is unacceptable if you ask me. In our group, usually the heroes do all the setup while the overlord just selects his hand and monster groups.

As for gameplay, we use 20 minutes for all heroes combined. No time limit for the overlord is ever needed in our case. Time is usually lost by discussion, overlord turns are generally over depending on the amount of attacks made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.