Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » Variants

Subject: (WIP) Personal Objective Card Deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eduardo Ortiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I've started to create a Personal Objective Card deck and simple rules to go with it. This is what I have so far. Some of the ideas in this variant come from these cards that were made for the original Zombicide. You can check them out here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1386438/plot-hidden-agenda-...

My cards are similar to the Hidden Agenda Cards found in that variant except they are not secret and there are no PvP aspects in them. It's all cooperative and I added a story telling component to them.

The rules go like this.
At the beginning of the game every player will draw a Personal Objective Card for every character they are controlling. Everyone then goes in turn describing what their Personal Objective is and a bit of background information as to who they are (the character, not the player) and how this Personal Objective relates to them. The background information or story is made up, adding a light story telling element to the game (at least in the beginning).

I love story telling games (like Once Upon a Time) or RPG games that let you create your own stories. So the idea is that each player will tell a small story (in first or third person) describing their character and their Personal Objective. The other players are then encouraged to ask questions about the character's story to make it richer in details and help the storytelling player get more involved with the story he/she is creating and their character. You can do as little or much of this as you want.

The story telling aspect of the variant is, of course, optional. So if you don't like this type of experience feel free to scratch it, as it will not impact in any way the mechanics of the game and variant.

The story telling aspect of the variant is there to help form an attachment to the character you're playing and make you feel like you really want to achieve this Personal Objective and play according to your personality and story. It's also fun to create your own stories and hear everyone else's! The thing I love most about a game like "Once Upon A Time" is that I get to see the creative side of my friends. I get to see their personalities shine through what they come up with as we play. It's the same thing here. The fun aspect of this variant is seeing each player's personality come through as they tell their stories. Some people will come up with serious stories, as they want to fully immerse themselves into the character and the world. Other players will make up ridiculous funny stories that will make everyone in the table laugh out loud. These stories will then be referenced over and over once you're actually playing the game, keeping the story telling aspect alive throughout. In the end, every time you play the game will be different because of the stories you tell and the Personal Objectives you have.

Once everyone has told their stories, you begin the game.

If for some reason you feel like the Personal Objective card you pulled doesn't go with your character (pulling The Knight when you're playing a magic based character)or can't be played this game (pulling The Elf when there's no dwarves in the game) then feel free to discard it and pull another one. You can keep doing this until you pull one that fits your character.

Winning the game: I have two options.
1)You have to achieve the scenario objectives and at least 2/3 of the total number of characters or Personal Objectives to win the game. So if you're playing with 6 characters you have to achieve at least 4 Personal Objectives to win the game.

2)Another option is having a Badge system. If you only complete the Scenario Objectives and 0-2 Personal Objectives, you win the game with a Bronze Badge. If you complete the Scenario Objectives and 3-5 Personal Objectives, you win the game with a Silver Badge. And if you complete the Scenario Objectives and all Personal Objectives, you win the game with a Gold Badge. The numbers here are assuming that there are 6 players playing. You can adjust the numbers according to how many players you're playing with.

Right now I think I prefer the first option as it is simpler.

You can check out the cards here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8v35rDFp9zPTU5YOUFs...

Here's some examples. I also included a blank card in the folder, in case you want to make your own. The font I'm using is "Algo FY".

I will be adding more and balancing the ones currently there as time goes by and I'm able to test them properly. Don't expect them to be completely balanced, as I have not tested them yet. Some will be too difficult and some may be too easy, but hopefully we can make a really solid deck together with your help in testing and coming up with ideas. I want to make at least 40 solid cards, have around 30 so far, more in the works.

Also, note that there's some cards there that refer to other variants (such as Potions). Feel free to ignore these if you're not playing with the variants.

Another note is that, in order to be able to achieve all the Personal Objectives, I might start playing the game rounds in not an established clockwise order. I might do player turns freely as decided by the players. Meaning, you can discuss among yourselves and decide who should go first, second, etc. I think this may be necessary as you now will have little tasks to do throughout the game that will be dependent on turn order, like who opens the door, who kills the Necromancer, etc. Haven't decided on this yet. Will test and share my experiences.

Let me know what you think of the cards and rules and also if you have your own ideas for extra cards!

And one last note, you can print the cards at 100% and they will be the same size as a normal Z:BP card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, as I'm sure you know, I like the card projects you have tackled so far. So this one is definitely on my radar now.

Next, as you mention above, some of these appear to be much easier than others, and some would likely require some creative co-op on the board in order to achieve, which is good.

I suspect that some balancing may need to happen because of this. Perhaps one approach might be to weight the cards in some way in terms of "Value Towards Achieving the Win Criteria", or similar.

As an example, The Dwarf and Elf cards may or may not apply in a given group of Survivors, however, when they do, perhaps the win is worth more "Points" if both character types and both cards happen to be in play.

Another example, The Alchemist, depending on how the Deck is loaded, maybe a bit easier to achieve than would say, the Assassin. So maybe the Alchemist is only worth 1 Point per Completion, while the Assassin might be worth 2?

The point being, that perhaps the Personal Objective Mini Game, could be based on gaining a total number of points, rather than completing a specific number of cards--again, likely based on Character count.

This would allow for the creation of some easier and harder cards without having to worry too much on how well balanced they are in comparison to other cards in the deck. It might also allow for greater and lesser versions of some Objectives.

I have only casually glanced at each of the current cards you have posted, and will need to look more closely before offering too much specific feedback, but overall I definitely like the concept.

Some possible Cards:

The Chirurgeon Lesser - Heal 2 Wounds over the course of a game.
The Chirurgeon Greater - Heal 6 Wounds over the course of a game.
The Novice Scholar - Have a Backpack containing only Spells and Enchantments.
The Master Scholar - Have a Backpack containing only Spells or Enchantments.
The Merchant - Initiate at least (5, 10?) Trade Actions over the course of the game.
The Patsy - Initiate X number of "Make Noise" Actions over the course of a game (excluding Combat and Open Door Actions).

--------------

Anyway, good project here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished reading another 'overhaul' which really seemed like way too much. Your idea, I like. When we play Zombicide, we naturally tend to infuse our characters with personality, which is reflected in our chitchat. We also use custom scenarios which could benefit from an additional character objective component. Your idea adds just enough of a little extra something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Ortiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
QorDaq wrote:
Firstly, as I'm sure you know, I like the card projects you have tackled so far. So this one is definitely on my radar now.

Next, as you mention above, some of these appear to be much easier than others, and some would likely require some creative co-op on the board in order to achieve, which is good.

I suspect that some balancing may need to happen because of this. Perhaps one approach might be to weight the cards in some way in terms of "Value Towards Achieving the Win Criteria", or similar.

As an example, The Dwarf and Elf cards may or may not apply in a given group of Survivors, however, when they do, perhaps the win is worth more "Points" if both character types and both cards happen to be in play.

Another example, The Alchemist, depending on how the Deck is loaded, maybe a bit easier to achieve than would say, the Assassin. So maybe the Alchemist is only worth 1 Point per Completion, while the Assassin might be worth 2?

The point being, that perhaps the Personal Objective Mini Game, could be based on gaining a total number of points, rather than completing a specific number of cards--again, likely based on Character count.

This would allow for the creation of some easier and harder cards without having to worry too much on how well balanced they are in comparison to other cards in the deck. It might also allow for greater and lesser versions of some Objectives.

I have only casually glanced at each of the current cards you have posted, and will need to look more closely before offering too much specific feedback, but overall I definitely like the concept.

Some possible Cards:

The Chirurgeon Lesser - Heal 2 Wounds over the course of a game.
The Chirurgeon Greater - Heal 6 Wounds over the course of a game.
The Novice Scholar - Have a Backpack containing only Spells and Enchantments.
The Master Scholar - Have a Backpack containing only Spells or Enchantments.
The Merchant - Initiate at least (5, 10?) Trade Actions over the course of the game.
The Patsy - Initiate X number of "Make Noise" Actions over the course of a game (excluding Combat and Open Door Actions).

--------------

Anyway, good project here!

Hey! yeah I've seen your other comments, I'm glad you are liking what I'm doing!

I don't love the idea of the point system for the Personal Objectives just cause it seems a bit complicated (i really don't want to start thinking of how many point each Personal Objective is worth) and I want to keep things simple. So i rather just try them out and if they feel too easy or too hard, adjust accordingly. They really don't need to be perfectly balanced as long as they feel fun and not impossible or trivial.

I like some of your ideas for the new cards, I'll keep thinking about them. The only thing I'm trying to avoid is having to count too much(initiate 10 trades, make X number of tokens). I want to keep it from feeling like you need any other type of counters or point systems that you need to keep track of, i want to feel as simple as possible with as little upkeep as possible. I do have some Personal Objectives that involve counting but they are usually easy stuff (2 or 3 count) or it involves kills, which you can count with the experience counter. Anyways thanks for your enthusiasm, definitely let me know of any more ideas you may have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Ortiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
longagoigo wrote:
Just finished reading another 'overhaul' which really seemed like way too much. Your idea, I like. When we play Zombicide, we naturally tend to infuse our characters with personality, which is reflected in our chitchat. We also use custom scenarios which could benefit from an additional character objective component. Your idea adds just enough of a little extra something.

Glad you like it! It'll keep getting better and better as I balance it and come up with new cards, so keep checking up on it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings again,

I do get not wanting to have to track too many extra things during a game, ZCide, after all, is all about keeping the action flowing.

As to the point system, no worries it was just a thought on a potential balancing tool that could be built into the cards. As you say, keeping it light and fun for your group is key.

Looking forward to seeing where it goes, and yeah if I have any further thoughts either on the current cards or for some new ideas, I'll post them.

Continued success and keep up the good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.