Revolution Road» Forums » General

Subject: Map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I wasn't going to comment on the map, but started reading American Spring by Walter Borneman and found it really engrossing. That said, it brought me back to this game and the map and am disappointed with the muddy brown color which doesn't at all evoke the New England spring, and mostly with the lack of identified place names--the surrounding towns, roads, hills, and places along the road where intense fighting occurred. At this scale they are appropriate and I believe would add a lot to the game's narrative and visual appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
Which map are you referring to Bradley? The Boston to Concord map? There have been several additions to the latest map, however this is not a topographical map and elevations play no part in what the design is trying to do. The Bunker Hill map on the other hand does highlight elevations. The two games play completely different and I can assure you both have plenty of historical content at the entry to medium complexity level.

What suggestions would you make to improve the maps? Please be specific as to which game, since it is two games in one, and what should be changed or added. It's not too late to include modifications if they make sense.

Thanks for your comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Morgal
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Experiencing senility daily since... I forget.
mbmbmbmbmb
bfletcher wrote:
I wasn't going to comment on the map, but started reading American Spring by Walter Borneman and found it really engrossing. That said, it brought me back to this game and the map and am disappointed with the muddy brown color which doesn't at all evoke the New England spring, and mostly with the lack of identified place names--the surrounding towns, roads, hills, and places along the road where intense fighting occurred. At this scale they are appropriate and I believe would add a lot to the game's narrative and visual appeal.

American Spring is a fantastic book.

It was my intent that the muddy brown color reflect an old map perhaps on parchment or leather. I actually have a green version, one of several different styles i went through. I like this one best.

Woods, hills, and such, play no part in From Boston to Concord. Roads are all important. As Wade pointed out, elevation is important in Bunker Hill and it is refected in the map and game.

Historical buildings have been added to the From Boston to Concord map. They play no part in the game mechanics. I did not include skirmish locations. Including those might clutter the map. I will try to include a graphic in the rules that outlines the path taken by the British and skirmishes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bradley,

We appreciate your interest in RR. Good suggestions.

I particularly like the idea of including skirmish locations. It would mke the map more appealing but I have to agree with Bill. Just Skirmish titles would at this point detract from the overall effect of a pretty nice map. I will let Bill decide if identifying skirmish sites with a small dot or star is doable (I like your idea, Bill, of doing a separate historic trail in the rulebook). The other thing to consider is how far along we are in the process and whether the publisher is ok with any further changes. Regarding the Overall color scheme - I have to admit that you have me to blame for that. Bill early on suggested a green background which he preferred as it would be more in the style of the Bunker Hill map but I asked that he stay with the tan version. I thought it evoked more of a period feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I'm referring to the Lexington-Concord map. I realize that woods, hills, etc… don't impact game play but they did certainly affect history (for example, I didn't realize how and why Menotomy was so important until reading American Spring--heck, I didn't realize it was modern-day Arlington!) and provide narrative and reference points which draw me into the game and history. I'd love, for another example, to know that I'm fighting for Fiske Hill whether it factors into the game play or not. Blank, or nearly blank,maps turn me off as they don't engage my interest or imagination--in fact. I fully realize, however, that this is entirely subjective on my part and just offered my thoughts while reading a book that offered so much dramatic flavor which I don't get from that map. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
bfletcher wrote:
I'm referring to the Lexington-Concord map. I realize that woods, hills, etc… don't impact game play but they did certainly affect history (for example, I didn't realize how and why Menotomy was so important until reading American Spring--heck, I didn't realize it was modern-day Arlington!) and provide narrative and reference points which draw me into the game and history. I'd love, for another example, to know that I'm fighting for Fiske Hill whether it factors into the game play or not. Blank, or nearly blank,maps turn me off as they don't engage my interest or imagination--in fact. I fully realize, however, that this is entirely subjective on my part and just offered my thoughts while reading a book that offered so much dramatic flavor which I don't get from that map. Thanks.

Bradley,
I hear where you are coming from. I have read many books on these opening battles and they sure have the ability to paint detailed images in our mind's eye. It sounds like you love reading history as much as most of us and I can identify with your sentiments regarding all the details. But trying to include all of those details in a game of this scale and purpose can be counter productive. On the other hand you can't just have a blank map either. If you take a close look at the map, although it doesn't include Fiske Hill, it does include the Fiske House. So you have to use your knowledge to know that Fiske Hill is part of Fiske's property. Same with Meriam's Corner. It's not there on the map but Meriam House is. I hope this doesn't deter you from purchasing the game when it comes out because the game play is very good and you'll have fun trying to relive, or change, history!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.