$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 108.06

6,710 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
42.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Mage Wars Arena» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wychwood Faerie and who is 'you' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nat Morris
Canada
Creston
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wychwood Faerie states:
'Once per round, if Wychwood Faerie is in your zone, you pay one less mana if you cast an enchantment or an animal creature spell'.

I have always assumed 'you' refers to your mage but is that accurate? WF is an Academy card and in academy only mages cast spells(there are no familiars or spawnpoints). Is it possible that 'you' in the Arena context means owner/controller and the WF would work if a spawnpoint and/or familiar is actually the one casting the spell?
Any thoughts/opinions/rulings would be greatly appreciated.

n.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ana
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I doubt it means anything but the mage, however what I'm here to write is not a answer but a comment. It would not matter if 'you' includes familiar/spawn point as the mage supplements any lack of mana costs for spawn point/familiar casting; so WF will give the mage the discount even if 'you' also meant the familiar/spawn point.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"You" always been the mage, in both Arena and Academy.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You refers to the controller of the spell. The Mage is a representation of the player within the game. As such, you is referring to both, the player and the mage, who controls the fairy.

Basically, pretend that you are the Mage, and then read each card as if it's talking directly to you.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Morris
Canada
Creston
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aonline wrote:
I doubt it means anything but the mage, however what I'm here to write is not a answer but a comment. It would not matter if 'you' includes familiar/spawn point as the mage supplements any lack of mana costs for spawn point/familiar casting; so WF will give the mage the discount even if 'you' also meant the familiar/spawn point.


Interesting, I didn't think of it that way.
Thanks for the quick replies
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
codygarfield wrote:
aonline wrote:
I doubt it means anything but the mage, however what I'm here to write is not a answer but a comment. It would not matter if 'you' includes familiar/spawn point as the mage supplements any lack of mana costs for spawn point/familiar casting; so WF will give the mage the discount even if 'you' also meant the familiar/spawn point.


Interesting, I didn't think of it that way.
Thanks for the quick replies


THIS IS NOT CORRECT INFORMATION! If a familiar or spawnpoint casts a spell, it does not count as the Mage casting a spell, and so any discounts the Mage gets for spellcasting will NOT apply. This includes the fairy as well as most of the discount rings in Arena. Just because your mage is supplementing the mana supply, they are NOT casting the spell and do NOT get any discounts that kick in when they cast a spell.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Deever
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
Zub3ri wrote:
codygarfield wrote:
aonline wrote:
I doubt it means anything but the mage, however what I'm here to write is not a answer but a comment. It would not matter if 'you' includes familiar/spawn point as the mage supplements any lack of mana costs for spawn point/familiar casting; so WF will give the mage the discount even if 'you' also meant the familiar/spawn point.


Interesting, I didn't think of it that way.
Thanks for the quick replies


THIS IS NOT CORRECT INFORMATION! If a familiar or spawnpoint casts a spell, it does not count as the Mage casting a spell, and so any discounts the Mage gets for spellcasting will NOT apply. This includes the fairy as well as most of the discount rings in Arena. Just because your mage is supplementing the mana supply, they are NOT casting the spell and do NOT get any discounts that kick in when they cast a spell.


This is correct- if the discount does include a spawnpoint, the card will specifically state as such, for instance, the Necro's Death Ring specifically says, "This Mage or a Spawnpoint he controls..." It's the only object in the game I know if that provides a discount to a spawnpoint.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravepig wrote:
This is correct- if the discount does include a spawnpoint, the card will specifically state as such, for instance, the Necro's Death Ring specifically says, "This Mage or a Spawnpoint he controls..." It's the only object in the game I know if that provides a discount to a spawnpoint.


General's Signet Ring also does this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.