Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If he longs for the "good old days" when segregationists were making laws, then is he trying to get the democrats back in office by way of Hillary ?

Holy shit, that makes sense ! Good catch old chap !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
If he longs for the "good old days" when segregationists were making laws, then is he trying to get the democrats back in office by way of Hillary ?

Holy shit, that makes sense ! Good catch old chap !

Yeah... except times change and the Pubes are the segregationist whitebreds. Nice try, but the Repubes took over the redneck South during the late 60s, and their nooses and robes have been firmly entrenched there since. You can smell the good ole' boy / Klan member anytime a southern politician opens their mouth trying to mansplain away how the Civil War really wasn't about slavery or how progressive they are in 2016.

Soon they'll be dead and gone, and their ways will get diluted just a little bit. That will be a good day. Their entire memory will go down in history for what they really are, and that won't be a good thing. I pity their progeny.

Southern man
better keep your head
Don't forget
what your good book said
Southern change
gonna come at last
Now your crosses
are burning fast
Southern man

I saw cotton
and I saw black
Tall white mansions
and little shacks.
Southern man
when will you
pay them back?
I heard screamin'
and bullwhips cracking
How long? How long?

Southern man
better keep your head
Don't forget
what your good book said
Southern change
gonna come at last
Now your crosses
are burning fast
Southern man

Lily Belle,
your hair is golden brown
I've seen your black man
comin' round
Swear by God
I'm gonna cut him down!
I heard screamin'
and bullwhips cracking
How long? How long?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Manvel
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jeremy, people bring this up every time you try to make this point. Could you try reading this for once?

Southern Strategy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
darthhugo wrote:

Yeah... except times change and the Pubes are the segregationist whitebreds. Nice try, but the Repubes took over the redneck South during the late 60s, and their nooses and robes have been firmly entrenched there since. You can smell the good ole' boy / Klan member anytime a southern politician opens their mouth trying to mansplain away how the Civil War really wasn't about slavery or how progressive they are in 2016.

Nice try, but some actual proof (rather than constant Democrat denial of their own history) would be nice.

The most racist and bigoted people I know are hard core Democrats. Really don't like to be around them much; they're rather unpleasant people.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

jeremycobert wrote:
If he longs for the "good old days" when segregationists were making laws, then is he trying to get the democrats back in office by way of Hillary?

Since the Dixiecrats (racist segregationist-supporting Democrats) began to exodus from the Democratic Party into the GOP after President Johnson signed the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1965 Voter's Rights Act into law, Trump will have to settle for the likes of his supporter, Alabama U.S. Senator Jeff Sessions whose racist tendencies certainly evoke those of the Dixiecrats of yore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are generally some racist democrats, sure. But statistically there are more racist republicans.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-white-republicans-mo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Nice try, but some actual proof (rather than constant Democrat denial of their own history) would be nice.

The most racist and bigoted people I know are hard core Democrats. Really don't like to be around them much; they're rather unpleasant people.

Ferret

Nothing like delusional typing.

Hey, when you can round up that gaggle of non-racist Repubes, please let me know.

Hey, its good you don't like Dems that much, then you won't feel bad for missing the invitations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
There are generally some racist democrats, sure. But statistically there are more racist republicans.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-white-republicans-mo...

Ah, but Repube speeks is filled with stark dichotomies and contrasts to jazz that fucker up.

Of course there are racist Dems, but I would bet my wealth that I could squeeze way more racism juice from an equal quantity of Repubs. There is a reason they want to keep things like they are... they are afraid of everything not like them, their current situation, their current environs.

Generally, there just fucking scared. Pity them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:

Ferret

Sounds pretty legit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik17 wrote:
Jeremy, people bring this up every time you try to make this point. Could you try reading this for once?

Southern Strategy
of COURSE HE CANNOT, IT MIGHT BE REALIZING THE WORLD HAS MOVED ON FROM 1862.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Erik17 wrote:

Southern Strategy

I don't think it is quite that deep. His world view just depends on being ignorant, hiding from anything scary like knowing the truth.

As the topics come up that he should really be informed about...well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Erik17 wrote:

Southern Strategy

I don't think it is quite that deep. His world view just depends on being ignorant, hiding from anything scary like knowing the truth.

As the topics come up that he should really be informed about...well

LOng Long ago far far away in a society very different from our own...

Culture wars episode 1

the Phantom menace

Turmoil has engulfed RSP. The taxation of rich people to pay for healthcare of the poor is in dispute.
Hoping to resolve the matter with a blockade of deadly comb overs, the greedy RSP admins has stopped all moderation.
While the congress of RSP endlessly debates this alarming chain of events, the RSP "we do not support Trumpers...ohh no sirree"ers have secretly dispatched two RSP Knights, the (self proclaimed) guardians of peace and justice in RSP, to settle the conflict...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik17 wrote:

Southern Strategy

LOL, hey look I just heard this buzzword called southern strategy and it proves Republicans are racist !

How about we play a new game. You can claim in this "magical shift" that all the racists Dixiecrat's became republicans. So if that's true, why did only 1 of the Dixiecrats flip (Strom Thurman)? The rest of the southern racists were perfectly fine with staying Democrat.

The new game is, why did only 1 person switch ?

Dixiecrat – Senators

(D)VA Harry F. Byrd, 1933-1965
(D)VA A. Willis Robertson, 1946-1966
(D)WV Robert C. Byrd, 1959-Present
(D)MS John C. Stennis, 1947-1989
(D)MS James O. Eastland, 1941-1941,1943-1978
(D)LA Allen J. Ellender, 1937-1972
(D)LA Russell B. Long, 1948-1987
(D)NC Sam Ervin, 1954-1974
(D)NC Everett Jordan, 1958-1973
(R)NC Jesse Helms, 1973-2003
(D)OK Thomas Pryor Gore, 1906-1921,1931-1937
(D)AL J. Lister Hill, 1938-1969
(D)AL John J. Sparkman, 1946-1979
(D)FL Spessard Holland, 1946-1971
(D)FL George Smathers, 1951-1969
(D)SC Olin D. Johnston, 1945-1965
(D,R)SC Strom Thurmond, 1954-1956,1956-2003
(D)AR John McClellan, 1943-1977
(D)GA Richard B. Russell, Jr., 1933-1971
(D)GA Herman E. Talmadge, 1957-1981
(D)TN Herbert S. Walters, 1963-1964

Dixiecrat – State governors

Benjamin Travis Laney, Arkansas Governor
Fielding Wright, Mississippi Governor
Frank M. Dixon, Former Alabama Governor
William H. Murray, Former Oklahoma Governor
Mills E. Godwin Jr. governor of Virginia

Only one switched parties – Strom Thurman AFTER the 1964 Civil Rights Act and 1965 Voting Rights Act were passed.

Magic shift indeed !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Erik17 wrote:

Southern Strategy

LOL, hey look I just heard this buzzword called southern strategy and it proves Republicans are racist !

How about we play a new game. You can claim in this "magical shift" that all the racists Dixiecrat's became republicans. So if that's true, why did only 1 of the Dixiecrats flip (Strom Thurman)? The rest of the southern racists were perfectly fine with staying Democrat.

Dixiecrat – Senators

Only one switched parties – Strom Thurman AFTER the 1964 Civil Rights Act and 1965 Voting Rights Act were passed.

Magic shift indeed !
How many Southern states that voted Dem now Vote ReP?

You do understand how elections work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Erik17 wrote:

Southern Strategy

Dixiecrat – Senators

Magic shift indeed !

What is your fucking point in this thread? Do you want to debate who won the SuperBowl in the 70s and declare them a relevant team today?

Sure, there WERE southern Democrats, once. There were sensible Republicans, once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

I counter your straw-man with one of my own !

Quote:

Starting in the 1950s, the South attracted millions of Midwesterners, Northeasterners, and other transplants. These “immigrants” identified themselves as Republicans at higher rates than native whites. In the 1980s, up to a quarter of self-declared Republicans in Texas appear to have been such immigrants. Furthermore, research consistently shows that identification with the GOP is stronger among the South’s younger rather than older white voters, and that each cohort has also became more Republican with time. Do we really believe immigrants (like George H.W. Bush, who moved with his family to Texas) were more racist than native Southerners, and that younger Southerners identified more with white solidarity than did their elders, and that all cohorts did so more by the 1980s and ’90s than they had earlier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

I counter your straw-man with one of my own !

Quote:

Starting in the 1950s, the South attracted millions of Midwesterners, Northeasterners, and other transplants. These “immigrants” identified themselves as Republicans at higher rates than native whites. In the 1980s, up to a quarter of self-declared Republicans in Texas appear to have been such immigrants. Furthermore, research consistently shows that identification with the GOP is stronger among the South’s younger rather than older white voters, and that each cohort has also became more Republican with time. Do we really believe immigrants (like George H.W. Bush, who moved with his family to Texas) were more racist than native Southerners, and that younger Southerners identified more with white solidarity than did their elders, and that all cohorts did so more by the 1980s and ’90s than they had earlier?
Then I am assuming we are not discussing the southern strategy, is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
jeremycobert wrote:
Do we really believe immigrants (like George H.W. Bush, who moved with his family to Texas) were more racist than native Southerners, and that younger Southerners identified more with white solidarity than did their elders, and that all cohorts did so more by the 1980s and ’90s than they had earlier?

As someone who lives in the South, let me answer your questions:

1. Are the immigrant Yankees more racist than native Southerners? No, just about the same.

2. Younger southerners identify more with white solidarity than their elders? No, about the same. You do understand the KKK was a terrorist organization that sprung up in the South and was a major force there for nigh on a century. Hard to get more "white solidarity" than the Klan, may they all rot in hell.

3. All cohorts did so more by the 1980s and 1990s than they had earlier? They don't lynch black guys from trees anymore for looking at a white woman, so yeah, it's all freaking unicorns and rainbows down in the Deep South.

Of course, I've only lived in the South for almost half a century. What the fuck would I know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
You do understand the KKK was a terrorist organization that sprung up in the South and was a major force there for nigh on a century. Hard to get more "white solidarity" than the Klan, may they all rot in hell.

You do understand the KKK was a terrorist organization that was created by the Democrat party ?

You make it sound like they just magically popped up like morel mushrooms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
Nothing funnier than a thread full of white men arguing who is more racist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Erik17 wrote:

Southern Strategy

Dixiecrat – Senators

Magic shift indeed !

Yes it is magic move the racists ideology over to the right side of the ledger an voila Democrats start loosing elections in the south. Sucks to be them, apparently they forgot to shift parties with the policies/politics.
Study the Progressive Era (Roosevelt & Taft*) and then deny parties can change over short periods of time again. You'll be just as full-o-crap as you are right now.

* BTW they would be kicked out of today's R party with extreme prejudice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is any number of current Republican politicians (and some retired ones) who began their career as Democrats - Rick Perry, Richard Shelby, Phil Gramm just off the top of my head. But the main point is, there are plenty of current southern Republicans who in a previous political generation would have been southern Democrats. The ideology of today's southern Republicans is very similar to the right-wing southern Democrats of earlier generations.

It's really not that difficult. Being confused about it is a deliberate choice, made out of embarrassment perhaps (or political expedience) that today, racists are more likely to choose to be Republicans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
You do understand the KKK was a terrorist organization that sprung up in the South and was a major force there for nigh on a century. Hard to get more "white solidarity" than the Klan, may they all rot in hell.

You do understand the KKK was a terrorist organization that was created by the Democrat party ?

You make it sound like they just magically popped up like morel mushrooms.
Which KKK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

jeremycobert wrote:
Erik17 wrote:

Southern Strategy

The new game is, why did only 1 person switch?

Dixiecrat – Senators

Magic shift indeed !

The major geographical shift in political polarities was NOT accomplished by the exodus of elected Dixiecrats alone. And it did not occur over several months or several years. The transformation took several decades.

> Excerpts from the July 27, 2014 Daily Kos feature story by Jon Perr entitled:

Republicans, Democrats, And The Great Trade Of A Half-Century Ago

Once upon a time, Democrats were the party of slavery, States' Rights, secession, and nullification. After the Civil War and Reconstruction, the solid Democratic South sought the "Redemption" of the former Confederate states with the re-establishment of white supremacy through violence and voter suppression. For a hundred years, the southern architects and enforcers of Jim Crow poll taxes and literacy tests, lynchings, cross-burnings, Klan rallies, and White Citizens Councils, racial segregation, and separate-but-equal primarily called the Democratic Party their home.

But that was all before the Great Trade.

During the height of the Civil Rights movement in the middle of the 20th Century, the Republican and Democratic parties were transformed by the greatest swap of political philosophies, personalities, and constituencies in modern history. The racial integration of the American military in 1948, the end of state-mandated separate but equal schooling with Brown v. Board of Education in 1954, the Civil Rights Act in 1964, and the Voting Rights Act in 1965 upended both parties. The Democrats' slow but steady embrace of the Civil Rights movement and the GOP's response with its Southern Strategy literally changed the complexion of both parties.

Thanks to the Great Trade, Democrats became the party of Civil Rights and liberty for all, while the GOP became the bastion of backlash.

Republicans acquired States' Rights, secession, and nullification in exchange for Democratic ownership of the general welfare, due process. and equal protection in a more perfect Union.

Democrats got John Lewis and Martin Luther King, Jr.; the GOP got Jesse Helms and Strom Thurmond. Over time, the Party of FDR, JFK, and LBJ got New England and the new West, while the solid South went to the Party of Lincoln. As a result of the Great Trade, it is now the Democrats who carry on the legacy of Abraham Lincoln's "new birth of freedom" and the Great Emancipator himself.

But once again, Republicans are trying to whitewash their shameful present by instead pointing fingers at the Democrats' shameful past. Led by former Reagan Attorney General Ed Meese and former Ohio secretary of state Ken Blackwell, the right-wing American Civil Rights Union unveiled its version of "The Truth about Jim Crow." Noting that "Democrats were in complete control of the South during the entire Jim Crow era, from 1877 through 1965," the right-wing American Civil Rights crowed: "The public should come away understanding the three most important facts about Jim Crow: Jim Crow was Dehumanizing; Jim Crow was Deadly; and Jim Crow was Democratic."

The National Review's John Fund was quick to regurgitate the conservative talking point. Fund, who for years has waged a crusade against mythical voter fraud in order to sell the GOP's draconian voter suppression schemes across the nation, this week wrote that he was "Setting the Record Straight on Jim Crow":

John Fund of the conservative National Review magazine wrote:

But the political enforcement of Jim Crow was entirely in Democratic hands. The Ku Klux Klan functioned as the paramilitary wing of the Democratic party, and it was used to drive Republicans out of the South after the Civil War. Before he took up the cause of civil rights as president, Lyndon Johnson acting as Senate majority leader blocked the GOP's 1956 civil-rights bill, and gutted Eisenhower's 1957 Civil Rights Act. Democratic senators filibustered the GOP's 1960 Civil Rights Act.

"Is it fair," Fund snidely asks before answering himself, "to remind people of the awful historical antecedents that can lurk within a political party?"

Of course, it's fair. But fairness also requires acknowledging to readers (as Fund's allies at the right-wing American Civil Rights Union did not) that history did not end in 1965. By then, as we'll see below, the Great Trade was well underway and the exodus of virulently racist southern conservatives from the Democratic Party was greeted with open arms by the GOP.

Recall that in less than five years between 1961 and 1965, America witnessed the Freedom Riders and Freedom Summer, the March on Washington, D.C., and the Kennedy administration's intervention to integrate the all-white University of Alabama. On June 11, 1963, President Kennedy used a nationally televised address to explain the essence of the civil rights struggle to the American people:

President John F. Kennedy wrote:

We are confronted primarily with a moral issue. It is as old as the scriptures and is as clear as the American Constitution. The heart of the question is whether all Americans are to be afforded equal rights and equal opportunities, whether we are going to treat our fellow Americans as we want to be treated. If an American, because his skin is dark, cannot eat lunch in a restaurant open to the public, if he cannot send his children to the best public school available, if he cannot vote for the public officials who represent him, if, in short, he cannot enjoy the full and free life which all of us want, then who among us would be content to have the color of his skin changed and stand in his place? Who among us would then be content with the counsels of patience and delay?

After Kennedy's assassination, President Lyndon Johnson used the outpouring of grief and the growing support for the civil movement to ensure the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1965 Civil Rights Act.

To be sure, on Civil Rights, national Democratic leaders had followed and not led. But among their voters in the South and the white working class, Democrats would pay a steep price for their belated championing of equality and social justice. LBJ knew this at the time, lamenting before the ink was dry on the Civil Rights Act in 1964: "There goes the South for a generation."

As it has turned out, it has been two generations. While the nation's rapidly changing demographics now give Democrats some hope for the future in Florida, North Carolina and Texas, the South has been a Republican fortress ever since Lyndon Baines Johnson left the Oval Office.

In just eight years, LBJ's 1964 landslide victory with 61% of the vote was completely reversed. In 1972, Richard Nixon won 60% of the popular vote and a staggering 520 electoral votes. "In the eight years in between," Richard Perlstein wrote in "Nixonland", "the battle lines that define our culture and politics were forged in blood and fire." As Perlstein summed up the story behind the dynamic at work:

Author Richard Perlestein wrote:

It is the voter who, in 1964, pulled the lever for the Democrat for President because to do anything else, at least that particular Tuesday in November, seemed to court civilizational chaos, and who, eight years later, pulled the lever for the Republican for exactly the same reason.

Even before candidate and President Nixon started executing Kevin Phillip's "Southern Strategy," Tricky Dick was already putting his formula of backlash politics to work in the 1966 midterms. Decades before the Tea Party and Fox News, Sarah Palin, and Glenn Beck warned about New Black Panthers, birth certificates, "death panels", and FEMA "concentration camps" from the nation's first African-American President (one they deemed a "racist" and an "angry black man" who "hates white people"), Richard Nixon hit the trail after the Watts Riots of 1965:

Author Richard Perlestein wrote:

He was campaigning in traditionally Republican districts where a Democratic congressman had won in 1964 on Lyndon Johnson's coattails, but was likely to be swept out in the conservative backlash.

For instance, Iowa's first district. A five-term Republican, Fred Schwengel, was running to recover the seat he'd lost to a young political science professor from the Bronx named John Schmidhauser. One day, Representative Schmidhauser appeared at a Farm Bureau meeting, prepared for a grilling on the Democrats' agricultural policies. The questions, though, were all on rumors that Chicago's Negro rioters were about to engulf Iowa in waves, traveling, for some reason, "on motorcycles." The liberal political science professor was as vulnerable as a sapling ... Now that farmers were afraid that Martin Luther King would send Negro biker gangs to rape their children, the Republican restoration seemed inevitable.

In 1970, Nixon's henchman Kevin Phillips explained how it would all come to pass.

Kevin Phillips wrote:

From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20% of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats.

And to be sure, Phillips' "Negrophobes" and their elected enablers began making the Republican Party their home. Like his home state of Texas, Governor John Connally, the same man wounded in JFK's limousine in Dallas, switched parties, served as Nixon's Treasury Secretary, and ran for the 1980 GOP presidential nomination.

After the passage of the Civil Rights Act, others swapped blue for red as well. Before North Carolina's Jesse Helms switched over, South Carolina Senator and former Dixiecrat presidential nominee Strom Thurmond bolted over the Civil Rights Act. Thurmond's most famous contribution to America's national discourse came in 1948 when he ran for President championing racial segregation:

During his Presidency, George W. Bush would eulogize Jesse Helms as "an unwavering champion of those struggling for liberty" and praised the late Strom Thurmond for "the tremendous love he had for his constituents.")

Jesse Helms

In 1972, a young Trent Lott similarly jumped ship. Thirty years later, Mississippi GOP Senator Lott praised Strin Thurmond on the occasion of his 100th birthday:

The Council of Conservative Citizens, the successor to the dreaded White Citizens' Councils of Jim Crow days, couldn't agree more. Which is why Haley Barbour, who campaigned for governor of Mississippi wearing a lapel pin of the state's Confederate flag he vowed to maintain to keep flying on state grounds, was a fixture at the Council of Conservative Citizen's events.

Haley Barbour

Trent Lott, too, was a speaker in 1992 at an event of the Council of Conservative Citizens. Among its offerings in seething racial hatred is a wanted poster of Abraham Lincoln. Lott also offered his rebel yell in the virulently neo-Confederate "Southern Partisan" publication, where in 1984 he called the Civil War "the War of Northern Aggression."

John Ashcroft

Former Missouri Senator and Bush Attorney General John Ashcroft went a step further, praising Southern Partisan for "defending Southern patriots like Lee, Jackson and Davis" and adding, "We've all got to stand up and speak in this respect or else we'll be taught that these people were giving their lives, subscribing their sacred fortunes and their honor to some perverted agenda.")

Ronald Reagan

To complete that conversion, candidate Ronald Reagan traveled to Philadelphia, Mississippi to kick-off his 1980 presidential campaign. There, in that little town where Civil Rights workers James Chaney, Andrew Goodman and Michael Schwerner were slaughtered in 1964, Reagan declared "I believe in States' Rights." Reagan, who had denounced the so-called "welfare queen," the "strapping young buck" and declared that the 1965 Voting Rights Act "had humiliated the South," soon had more company among Southern conservatives in Republican ranks.

Phil Gramm

In 1983, Texan Phil Gramm joined the GOP. Eleven years later, Alabama's Richard Shelby followed suit. It's no wonder that casual race-baiting long-discredited notions like States' Rights, secession, and nullification are now standard fare on today's Republican menu.

Of course, the parade of Democratic officials-turned-Republican matches the transformation of the two parties' core constituencies. If (as Chris Bowers suggests) LBJ's signature on the Civil Rights Act 50 years ago represents the actual "moment Democrats lost the white working class vote," political scientist Elisabeth Jacobs showed this was an overwhelmingly *Southern transformation*.

Political scientist Elisabeth Jacobs wrote:

On average, Democratic Presidential candidates' prospects with self-identified white working class voters have diminished somewhat over time. (See Figure 4 below.)

Yet, the downward trend in Democratic Presidential vote choice between 1956 and 2008 is concentrated amongst the Southern white working class. (See Figure 5 above.)

The white working-class Presidential-party vote choice for non-Southerners is remarkably stable over time. if anything. The period between 1984 and 2008 has been one of improvement for the Democrats amongst this group. The opposite is true in the South. Prior to the 1960s rights revolutions (including, most notably for the South, the major upheavals of the Civil Rights Movement), a strong majority of the Southern white working class voted for Democratic candidates. Southern white working class voting appears to have settled into a basic equilibrium with Reagan's 1984 election, with the notable exception of an uptick for Clinton's first election in 1992, and again for Obama's 2008 election gambit.

...The defection of the white South from the Democratic Party plays a central role in driving the overarching story of white working class politics. As Bartels succinctly summarizes: "Democratic Presidential vote share has declined by almost 20% among southern whites without college degrees. Among non-southern whites without college degrees, it has declined by 1 percentage point. That's it. Fourteen elections, 52 years, 1 percentage point."

The same basic relationship holds across all income groups of non-college educated whites: a 20-point gap between the South and the rest of the country. This is Richard Nixon's Southern Strategy come to life, not a widespread national defection of white working class voters from the Democratic Party. Case in point: in 2008, Obama won 54% of whites with incomes under $50,000 outside of the South, while he secured just 35% of this group in the South.

But this and other pictures of "the rise of the Southern GOP since the Civil Rights Act" have flip-sides. While Republicans have enjoyed a solid and growing edge among white voters over in recent decades, Democrats are running up ever larger margins among minority populations which are growing much faster. African-Americans consistently vote for Democratic Presidential candidates by 90% or more. And after narrowing the gap among Hispanic voters to 53 to 44% for President Bush's reelection, Republicans got clobbered in 2012 by 71 to 27%. These two charts from Chris Cillizza and Ezra Klein tell the grim tale for the GOP:

That's why Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus ordered a post-mortem analysis after Mitt Romney's defeat in 2012. And it's also why, among other steps, the Republicans plan a "$10,000,000.00 outreach effort to include hiring national political directors for Hispanic, Asian-Pacific and African American voters and elevating minorities within the party."

But none of that will matter if voters grasp the GOP's transparent insincerity. After all, House Republicans have blocked comprehensive immigration reform. GOP leaders like Paul Ryan continue to traffic in racist dog-whistle language like "makers and takers" and lazy "inner city men" who are transforming "the safety net into a hammock." And rather than reach out to minority voters, Republicans in states across the country have instead advanced a wave of harsh voter identification laws and other vote suppressing efforts designed to keep those very groups from the ballot box, all despite numerous studies confirming that voter fraud is virtually nonexistent.

That's why the likes of John Fund and his Republican allies engineering the GOP's 21st Century voter-suppression campaign badly need a sleight of hand. Apparently, they believe they've found it by reminding Americans that once upon a time Democrats were the party of racists and Jim Crow. But no one should be misled.

Jamelle Bouie

As Jamelle Bouie explained, "If black voters reject Republicans, it's not because they've been fooled by Democrats, but because they've been alienated by 50 years of revanchist right-wing populism."

Which is exactly right. The Great Trade commenced 50 years ago. The GOP got the racism, xenophobia, and dog-whistle politics from the dark side of America's past. In exchange, Democrats got King and Lincoln, human dignity, and social equality, and the claim to highest ideals from the nation's founding documents for the future of all Americans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.