$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 116.66

7,091 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
44.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Hyper Bolus
msg tools
Turkey wedding bombing: Isis child suicide bomber was one of terror group's 'cubs of the caliphate'

The suicide attacker who detonated his explosives amid an outdoor Kurdish wedding party in southeastern Turkey, killing at least 51 people, was an Islamic State group child as young as 12 years old. The extremist group has a history of using children as weapons, sending them to their death strapped with explosives and putting them on front lines in Iraq and Syria.

Turkey bombing: At least 22 victims of wedding suicide attack were under 14
Turkey wedding bomb: Suicide bomber who killed at least 51 was between 12 and 14 years old, says President Erdogan
Turkey wedding bomb: Death toll rises to 50 after 'Isis' terror attack as suicide vest found at blast scene
The group maintains an army of child soldiers, which it calls “cubs of the caliphate,” and seeks to re-educate children at IS-run schools, indoctrinating them with the group's own radical version of Islam and exposing them to violent acts, including beheadings, as part of a concerted effort to build a new generation of militants. IS videos have shown boys killing IS opponents through beheadings and shootings.

But the practice is not restricted to the Islamic State and has been used by other militant groups. Here's a look at some:

Islamic State Group

The group has deployed child suicide bombers to stage attacks in both Iraq and Syria. Among the most deadly attacks was a bombing at a youth soccer game at a stadium south of Baghdad on March 25, 2016. A bomber — believed be a teenager — detonated his explosives as officials were handing out trophies to players after the tournament, killing 29 and wounding 60. IS claimed responsibility and released a photo of the attacker in which he appears to be no more than 16 years old. Nearly half of those killed were also children, participating in the soccer game or cheering from the stands. The U.N.'s children's agency, UNICEF, said in a recent report that thousands of children have been abducted in Iraq. Girls, the group says, are at greatest risk of being sold into sexual slavery while boys are often forced into becoming combatants or suicide bombers.

Boko Haram

Human Rights groups and UNICEF report a dramatic increase in Boko Haram's use of children as suicide bombers. In a report earlier this year, UNICEF said one in five suicide attacks claimed by the militant group across Nigeria, Cameroon and Chad are now carried out by children. In Nigeria, Human Rights Watch said that since Boko Haram began its attacks in 2009, it has recruited hundred, and possibly thousands, of youngsters and used dozens, mostly girls, as suicide bombers.

Al-Qaida

The global terror network has a history of recruiting children and training them to be suicide bombers. The leader of al-Qaida in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, used teenagers as suicide bombers to fight the American occupation in Iraq before he was killed in a U.S. airstrike in 2006. Al-Qaida in Iraq eventually developed into what today is the Islamic State group.

Radical Palestinian Groups

Hamas, Islamic Jihad and other militant groups run summer camps that seek to indoctrinate Palestinian children with violent anti-Israel ideologies. These groups have not sent young children on suicide missions, though during the second Palestinian uprising in the early 2000s, several Palestinians as young as 16 carried out suicide bombings. In the current, months-long wave of violence, dozens of Palestinian teenagers have carried out or been accused of carrying out stabbing attacks on Israelis, with the youngest perpetrator just 11 years old. The attackers are believed to have acted individually and were not sent by organized groups.

Yemen

In Yemen, home to one of the world's most heavily armed civilian population, boys often learn how to handle weapons from an early age. In the country's current conflict, irregular forces from both the pro-government and rebel sides have incorporated teenagers into their ranks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meanwhile, back at home....

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/02/12/right-wing-extremists-mil...

Begs the question: why are there so many extremists of all kinds in the modern world?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's horrific. Personally, I'm thinking the west will lose self restraint at some point. But I think restraint and slower approaches can also produce a positive result over time with fewer deaths.

But violence is faster and easy to fall into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Please limit future threads to "terrifying" Trump tweets, and other "terrifying" Trump stuff, such as putting a mere child as co-chair of some election precinct in Colorado.

It would be much preferred in RSP if you didn't point out that Trump treats competent children better than terrorists do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:

Holy shit, you're right ! "Florida Survival Group teaches “patriots” of all ages to handle weapons and survive in the wild" is the same as sending kids to blow up infidels.

Jesus Christ, there but for the grace of god go I , the cub scouts tried to get me to join one year as a child.. I think it was for their jihad !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

Holy shit, you're right ! "Florida Survival Group teaches “patriots” of all ages to handle weapons and survive in the wild" is the same as sending kids to blow up infidels.

Jesus Christ, there but for the grace of god go I , the cub scouts tried to get me to join one year as a child.. I think it was for their jihad !

Sam Harris, at a university symposium made a similar observation. I paraphrase, he said:

Say hypothetically that the Qur'an had printed at the bottom of every page that any red-headed woman you meet must be decapitated. When bags and bags of red-haired heads are spilled onto the pavement, you will always find a progressive who will respond, hypothetically, that in 1934 there was a Mormon man who decapitated his wife and she had red hair. It makes discussion futile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ari
United States
California
flag msg tools
La vie est un jeu
badge
Panem et Circenses
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:

Begs the question: why are there so many extremists of all kinds in the modern world?
Religious belief is typically the overwhelming answer. When you get to go to paradise, who wants to make things work in this world?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Dear OP:

It's despicable for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
KissaTaikuri wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

Religious belief is typically the overwhelming answer. When you get to go to paradise, who wants to make things work in this world?

Exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hyper Bolus
msg tools
isaacc wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

Sam Harris, at a university symposium made a similar observation. I paraphrase, he said:

Say hypothetically that the Qur'an had printed at the bottom of every page that any red-headed woman you meet must be decapitated. When bags and bags of red-haired heads are spilled onto the pavement, you will always find a progressive who will respond, hypothetically, that in 1934 there was a Mormon man who decapitated his wife and she had red hair. It makes discussion futile.

If you like Sam Harris, Sam Harris reads from the lastest issue of the ISIS magazine Dabiq. It is so fucked up how these people think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hyper Bolus
msg tools
KissaTaikuri wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

And these Islamist recruiters/groomers believe they are sending these Child Suicide Bombers directly to paradise. In their own warped view of the world they are the good guys. Bombing/killing these recruiters sends them to paradise? So what is to be done to these guys to discourage them? Medieval torture? Normal tit for tat game theory will not work with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hyperbolus wrote:
isaacc wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

If you like Sam Harris, Sam Harris reads from the lastest issue of the ISIS magazine Dabiq. It is so fucked up how these people think.

[YouTube video]

I listened to this when it was originally posted. I've been planning a more elaborate post about it. In the meanwhile, I heartily recommend that you read/listen to the article within the context of Sam Harris' podcast. He brings excellent commentary to the table over and above just reading the article. At least listen to the first couple of minutes of his commentary to get an idea of the value of his commentary.

WARNING: Please take care if you have a mind to read the original article. It is published inline with a beheading that leaves nothing to the imagination. Harris' podcast obviously doesn't show the picture. Personally, I don't have the stomach for it. I'm thinking how I'm going to download the original article without gazing on the picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

You seems to have missed this part of the newsweek article

"Multiple confidential sources notified the FBI last year that militia members have been conducting surveillance on Muslim schools, community centers and mosques in nine states for what one informant described as “operational purposes.”

Then again since this springs from the poisonous environment mindless bigotry such as your own creates, it is no wonder that you seem to overlook this

Thus proving the main point of the article, it would seem it is not ISIS we have to fear as much as the hatred that the extreme right is pushing. Not only in the outright violence, but in the bigotry against a religious minority that is truly repulsive.

If you were not such a mindless cretin you might actually comprehend how you are managing make us all less secure but you seem to enjoy hating and persecuting people far too much to really care
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hyper Bolus
msg tools
isaacc wrote:
hyperbolus wrote:
isaacc wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

[YouTube video]

I listened to this when it was originally posted. I've been planning a more elaborate post about it. In the meanwhile, I heartily recommend that you read/listen to the article within the context of Sam Harris' podcast. He brings excellent commentary to the table over and above just reading the article. At least listen to the first couple of minutes of his commentary to get an idea of the value of his commentary.

WARNING: Please take care if you have a mind to read the original article. It is published inline with a beheading that leaves nothing to the imagination. Harris' podcast obviously doesn't show the picture. Personally, I don't have the stomach for it. I'm thinking how I'm going to download the original article without gazing on the picture.

I assume we are both talking about Issue 15 of Dabiq which is the one mentioned in the Sam Harris podcast. Which article though? The two I remember are "what do jihadists really want?" and the article written by the insane woman from sweden who moved her family to Syria to join ISIS and was in bliss because her son was martyred there.

The magazine is linked below.

http://www.clarionproject.org/factsheets-files/islamic-state...

I mostly agree with Sam Harris on this issue. He is too hawkish about foreign policy for my tastes and he seems to not be bothered by mass surveillance and I am. But his opinions on Islam and the danger it poses to the entire world are spot on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another idea (child solders) picked up from Christians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Are we so sure of ourselves and of our age as to divide the company of our forefathers into the just and the damned?
mbmbmbmbmb
It's terrible and repulsive. But does the OP think that the history of child combatants begins with Islamic terrorism?

I thought it was the "regressive left" who knew nothing about history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

"Multiple confidential sources notified the FBI last year that militia members have been conducting surveillance on Muslim schools, community centers and mosques in nine states for what one informant described as “operational purposes.”

Then again since this springs from the poisonous environment mindless bigotry such as your own creates, it is no wonder that you seem to overlook this

Thus proving the main point of the article, it would seem it is not ISIS we have to fear as much as the hatred that the extreme right is pushing. Not only in the outright violence, but in the bigotry against a religious minority that is truly repulsive.

If you were not such a mindless cretin you might actually comprehend how you are managing make us all less secure but you seem to enjoy hating and persecuting people far too much to really care

What is "opeartional purposes" supposed to mean? It just sounds like scare quotes to me. Maybe "operational purposes" just means monitoring for suspicious activity. Has this group committed any attacks? They seem a weak, at best, comparison to ISIS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

Shallow analysis for the win. Instead consider why a religion promising paradise in the next world compared to the crap in this one would be popular, and then ask why the majority of Western Christians who seem to have things pretty damn good in this world aren't doing this as frequently. Hint:the answer isn't the religious differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

What is "opeartional purposes" supposed to mean? It just sounds like scare quotes to me. Maybe "operational purposes" just means monitoring for suspicious activity. Has this group committed any attacks? They seem a weak, at best, comparison to ISIS.

Monitoring is "survellience purposes". Which is bad enough for a private right wing groups with a bigoted agenda. "Operational purposes" means for an operation, like an attack.

The author is pointing up the many groups, not just the one I highlighted, planning attacking with toxins, radiation, and a beheading. I suggest you read the article to discern where the real danger to the country lies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

Monitoring is "survellience purposes". Which is bad enough for a private right wing groups with a bigoted agenda. "Operational purposes" means for an operation, like an attack.

The author is pointing up the many groups, not just the one I highlighted, planning attacking with toxins, radiation, and a beheading. I suggest you read the article to discern where the real danger to the country lies

Anyone can talk about committing an attack. Wake me up when they actually go through with it. It's strange that you would bring this up in this thread. It is like you are trying to distract us from the original topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

Anyone can talk about committing an attack. Wake me up when they actually go through with it. It's strange that you would bring this up in this thread. It is like you are trying to distract us from the original topic.

Which is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salo sila wrote:
It's terrible and repulsive. But does the OP think that the history of child combatants begins with Islamic terrorism?

Apart from the usual reflexive defence of the indefensible, the point is you can't have it both ways. While the show demonstrating the boon to civilization that is Islam travels the globe, you can't (well, the regressive Left can) simultaneously implicitly admit the lack of civilization. What is your claim, that now, today, Islam still has an unused ticket available for child suicide bombers.

I have no doubt that if Israel were losing an existential fight and were down to there last few combat worthy men, that 16 to 13 years olds would start appearing in the front lines. But, that's neither here nor there. Again, what is your point, that your standard of comparison is Nazi Germany.

But, of course, the real issue is that these adolescents, boys and girls, are used tactically, attempting to bypass security where children aren't instinctively looked upon as dangerous because they are purposely protected from and excluded from combat in our societies.

Moreover, it sheds light on the other tactic of victimhood when we readily see that children don't actually matter, much less 100,000++ Syrians, to name just one example. Please do google teddy bear in rubble. All this is expressly directed at the useful fools in the regressive Left. They are the target demographic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
Salo sila wrote:

Apart from the usual reflexive defence of the indefensible, the point is you can't have it both ways. While the show demonstrating the boon to civilization that is Islam travels the globe, you can't (well, the regressive Left can) simultaneously implicitly admit the lack of civilization. What is your claim, that now, today, Islam still has an unused ticket available for child suicide bombers.

I have no doubt that if Israel were losing an existential fight and were down to there last few combat worthy men, that 16 to 13 years olds would start appearing in the front lines. But, that's neither here nor there. Again, what is your point, that your standard of comparison is Nazi Germany.

But, of course, the real issue is that these adolescents, boys and girls, are used tactically, attempting to bypass security where children aren't instinctively looked upon as dangerous because they are purposely protected from and excluded from combat in our societies.

Moreover, it sheds light on the other tactic of victimhood when we readily see that children don't actually matter, much less 100,000++ Syrians, to name just one example. Please do google teddy bear in rubble. All this is expressly directed at the useful fools in the regressive Left. They are the target demographic.

Israel maybe not, but Jewish resistance groups certainly have used youths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Are we so sure of ourselves and of our age as to divide the company of our forefathers into the just and the damned?
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
Salo sila wrote:

As usual, you are having an argument in your head with a fictitious person espousing silly views you have attributed to them so that you can knock them down easily. Like pwn3d (aka Hyper Bolus), you need to create a caricature of a position to argue with, as you seem intellectually incapable of responding to views that do not fit into your stereotype of the regressive leftist.

A key indicator that you are on the wrong track should be that calling something "terrible and repulsive" isn't a defence of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
I love watching rightists and leftists fling shit at each other. There's always been and always will be human scum like ISIS and the KKK, and there's not too much we can do about it except limit the impact they have on decent people. This bullshit about Islam and right-wingers being uncivilized butchers only demonstrates the idiocy of those who preach it. For those on the right, please recall that in 1933 Germany was considered one of the most civilized, modern, and tolerant societies in the world. For those on the left, please recall that Iran was once considered the most modern and forward-looking country in the Middle East.

NO COUNTRY OR CULTURE HAS HANDS FREE OF THE BLOOD OF INNOCENTS.

Buncha dumasses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.