18 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: How to reduce the luck-factor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Jostby
Sweden
flag msg tools
Do anyone know if there are some ways to make the game less luck-oriented (house rues etc) For many games that I own I have tweeked them a little bit to make the luck factor less important. I think this might be a great game but I want my strategy and decisions to play a big part if i win or loose. Thnx for any suggestions /MJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
personally i dont find a lot of luck in my games. if i win or lose i can almost always attribute that to the decisions i have made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
In this game (and similar style games), the most important factor is to manage the threat of the lead player by negotiating and coordinating with other trailing players. When luck hammers your position in the game, use it to your advantage by focusing efforts on the player in the lead.

Negotiation is the key. Use it often. This game is not meant to be played individually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would make sure that the first six planets do not have a hazard on them and that the first six exploration cards are not crisis cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
I would make sure that the first six planets do not have a hazard on them and that the first six exploration cards are not crisis cards.
thats funny because i prefer the varient where you mix them all out without making sure the first 6 are planets.

also the varient where you can choose 1 card from your advancement deck instead of drawing 2 randomly is awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Doyle
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
You could also take Todd's suggestion a step further and make sure the first 6 planets each have the capacity for 3 nodes.

While I haven't played this variation, the rationale would be something like this:
It ensures each empire has a fighting chance at getting 2 additional good worlds to balance out the resources (if you think that would be good). Also, since these would likely be the first 2 worlds you colonize, your empire would have 3 good core worlds at the heart of your empire. The follow-on colonies would be the 1 or 2 node sectors...you know the less important planets out on the frontier....

But keep in mind what someone said earlier, a lot of the game is about managing the threat of the lead player, if things are too balanced, it may take away that dynamic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Mundane wrote:

When I play, I will be removing the "bad" cards (I don't have the game, so don't know what they are) for the first turn/few turns to assure that all players will have a solid start and solid economy to carry them through the game.

I love games like this, however I hate it when one player, after just one turn, is so obviously out of the game that there's just no reason for them to keep playing. This seems like a really simple fix to alleviate this issue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
phattyre wrote:
Do anyone know if there are some ways to make the game less luck-oriented (house rues etc) For many games that I own I have tweeked them a little bit to make the luck factor less important. I think this might be a great game but I want my strategy and decisions to play a big part if i win or loose. Thnx for any suggestions /MJ

The easiest way is to apply a +1 shield modifier vs hazards whilst exploring & "braving the hazard" for research tokens (no modifier vs player advancements).

It'll reduced a lot of death by random hazard early on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
mattprice wrote:
Mundane wrote:

When I play, I will be removing the "bad" cards (I don't have the game, so don't know what they are) for the first turn/few turns to assure that all players will have a solid start and solid economy to carry them through the game.

I love games like this, however I hate it when one player, after just one turn, is so obviously out of the game that there's just no reason for them to keep playing. This seems like a really simple fix to alleviate this issue

1. About 1/3 of the deck could be considered "bad" but even a lot of the bad cards have good consequences depending on when drawn. Things like pre warp civilizations are good for 2 players but not federation. Etc.

2. No one is obviously out of the game at any point. We thought our Romulan player was out of the game early and left him alone because he only drew the first two weakest planets and then drew 3 hard phenomena. His ships kept getting wiped out by them. He ended up winning by a landslide because he managed his resources so well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phattyre wrote:

I think you should play the game first and then see whether you actually need any house rules. Luck is when preparation meets opportunity, and that's how I see it in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Jostby
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thnx everybody for all the tips and advice, I Will def get this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Honestly a big part of this game is adjusting your strategy as the game goes on and the randomness of exploration makes up a big part of that. I think making the game more predictable would remove much of that aspect, even if it would theoretically make the game more balanced.

I think you should try embracing it first before looking for ways to change it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lacey
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I haven't played this yet, but it sounds like the best strategy is to just play the odds until you find something worth while.

Here is a Turn 1 strategy I've pondered.

-Build a star base on home world.

-Use the extra command to place three ships into the warp and then take those three ships out all going in different directions.

-I figure when you hit three worlds on turn 1, chances are at least one of these world's should be something decent.

-I also like the random galaxy rules as well. Hazard's aren't all that bad. The extra research could give you an early boost to quickly research weapons or shields.

Keep your finger's crossed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
Seratone wrote:
I haven't played this yet,

-Use the extra command to place three ships into the warp and then take those three ships out all going in different directions.

I haven't played yet either, but is this legal? Can you use one command to enter three ships at warp and then have them all arrive at three separate locations? Shouldn't this be 6 commands?

EDIT: sorry, I've just realised you probably meant use the extra one AND the others. My bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that's not a legal move. with 1 command you either move a single ship or a single fleet. when you move them out of warp, the ship or the fleet goes to 1 destination, you cant split up the fleet and have each ship go to different places.

if you would put 3 single ships into warp seperately for 1 command each, then you also must use 1 command per each ship to let them exit warp seperately (which totals 6 commands)

also, building a starbase takes 1 command, the new command token it adds comes into play exhausted so can only be used the next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
that's not a legal move. with 1 command you either move a single ship or a single fleet. when you move them out of warp, the ship or the fleet goes to 1 destination, you cant split up the fleet and have each ship go to different places.

if you would put 3 single ships into warp seperately for 1 command each, then you also must use 1 command per each ship to let them exit warp seperately (which totals 6 commands)

also, building a starbase takes 1 command, the new command token it adds comes into play exhausted so can only be used the next turn.

Agree although if you don't build a starbase you can put 3 ships in warp and 2 out leaving one for next round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lacey
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Ahh yeah. You are right. Thanks for the rules clarification BTW!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:

Agree although if you don't build a starbase you can put 3 ships in warp and 2 out leaving one for next round.

of course, i only meant you cant exit several single ships at warp with only 1 command.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.