Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The event cards are a Variant/Expansion themselves as the game was not designed with them in mind. But... I love the idea... I just didn't like the idea of knowing what was going to happen.

Variant Set-Up: Remove both Meteor cards from the game. Draw the top card of each Event deck and tuck the card behind the Climate Board so only the Trigger Zone shows over the appropriate zone on the climate board.

Triggering Event: When the climate reaches one of the indicated zones... draw the next card in the corresponding event deck. (Hot for Hot or Cold for Cold) This drawn card is the event that occurs.

After the round... remove both the triggered tucked card and the event card that occurred and then draw a new card to tuck behind for the new trigger zone.

My group and I feel this is more thematic and fun. We love being caught by a Cold Snap or Heat Wave instead of knowing it's coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Viña del Mar
V. Región
flag msg tools
If a game needs it, I feel forced to create and implement some variants.
mbmbmbmbmb

Good variant, if you want a more chaotic experience. The original rules brings more info to the players, so this way they can be aware of, prepare or avoid the posible events or even use them to attack other non-adapted players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chango wrote:

Good variant, if you want a more chaotic experience. The original rules brings more info to the players, so this way they can be aware of, prepare or avoid the posible events or even use them to attack other non-adapted players.

Yes, exactly. Players can avoid an Ice Age or cause a Meteor. I understand it from a player strategy stand point but I perfer staying true to the theme. Suffering through and recovering after an event better than others is also skillful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Malcovitch
United States
flag msg tools
I had the idea of using opaque card sleeves to conceal what the climate events currently "face up" are: when drawing one, you would peek inside just enough to see the slot, but otherwise would hide the effect. That way, you would know an event was coming, but you wouldn't know what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not needed when you have more than enough cards in the Event Decks to just use the first to determine when and the second to determine what.

And if by slim chance all events are drawn... just shuffle and reform the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.