Subject: WashingCon (September 10-11, Washington, DC) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clair V
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
This will be my first board gaming convention -- I'm not affiliated with the con, but am excited to attend. To the extent anyone is interested in setting up some pre-arranged longer strategic games during the weekend, please feel free to contact me.

www.washingcon.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rutherford
United States
Greenbelt
Maryland
flag msg tools
Novus Ordo Seclorum
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason Matthews (designer of Twilight Struggle) is going to be there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Peyster
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Congrats to the organizers of this event. It was really fun, and the facilities were great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nunemaker
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed... Great con. I hope to see it grow next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stapleton
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree! This was a blast! I do hope they do this again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Derwood
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers, Winter Game Fest, etc.
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you had fun there, check out http://congressofgamers.org, Sept 24-25 in Rockville, a short bus ride from the Rockville Metro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stapleton
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly I can't make it that weekend due to other scheduled conflicts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Gotta go slow, gotta go fast, gotta swing low when I walk past..."
badge
Turtle Cat (2/26/16) by Rachel Kremer of semicoop.com
mbmbmbmbmb
snunemaker wrote:
Agreed... Great con. I hope to see it grow next year.

In some ways, yes. I wish them success next year, and will very likely return even though I'm not close enough to commute each day. I'm not sure how much room there is to grow though unless there are more rooms available that I'm not aware of... It felt rather packed compared to some other (larger) cons I've been to.

What I'd really like to see (and left as a suggestion with the registration booth) is some form of coordination available for open gaming. The flag business that everyone does at various US cons is nice, but it's best geared at the common denominator of things like Splendor, Dominion, etc. Those are solid games, but not games that warrant me paying the door charge and driving to DC for, it's not why I go to cons. Two of us did well enough this year, we were able to scrounge up a game of Container, Forbidden Stars, and Glory to Rome over the weekend, but it was work at times. Having a cork message board near the registration table or somewhere where people could say "looking for playtesters at time XYZ for 45min coop, meet here at 2pm" or "Looking for 3rd person for Pax Porfiriana on Sunday at 4pm" would do wonders to simplify that on-site connection. For Origins or BGG, we do geeklists here, but I think for smaller regional cons, geeklists doesn't really work because so many of the folks attending are only tertiary in their BGG usage. Thats what lead me to the message board function.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Derwood
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
143245 wrote:
[q="snunemaker"]...
What I'd really like to see (and left as a suggestion with the registration booth) is some form of coordination available for open gaming. The flag business that everyone does at various US cons is nice, but it's best geared at the common denominator of things like Splendor, Dominion, etc. Those are solid games, but not games that warrant me paying the door charge and driving to DC for, it's not why I go to cons. Two of us did well enough this year, we were able to scrounge up a game of Container, Forbidden Stars, and Glory to Rome over the weekend, but it was work at times...

I've switched from bulletin boards to a Google sheet anyone can open and edit, in real time, even during the con, with links to BGG entries and a Geeklist for seat signups and coordination. For example, this weekend's congress of Gamers con (~350 gamers) uses this:
http://emsps.com/cog16

and it's all... FREE!!!

My hope is that other mid-Atlantic cons will adopt this technique so gamers get used to it and actively use it for scheduled open gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Gotta go slow, gotta go fast, gotta swing low when I walk past..."
badge
Turtle Cat (2/26/16) by Rachel Kremer of semicoop.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm torn; that certainly is cheaper and more versatile in terms of up to the minute updates, but I find using google sheets on a mobile device is just about sucks in terms of both referencing data but also entering/changing data elements. I build my schedule for Origins in sheets leading up to it, and then I print it out anymore a couple days before.

So besides that (personal) point, how do you handle estimated event interest? With a billboard one could do tear off tags with the pertinent information (and a cell phone to text) so you have an idea of how many are going to show up. How would you anticipate folks who don't use BGG much knowing about what's going on or changes? Just working through the mental gymnastics is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Derwood
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
143245 wrote:
I find using google sheets on a mobile device is just about sucks in terms of both referencing data but also entering/changing data elements. I build my schedule for Origins in sheets leading up to it, and then I print it out anymore a couple days before.

I print a very lightly edited version of the sheet (deleting discussion links and GM name and adding a QR code to the live version, Google sheet) on 11"x17" paper (the most economical large size) and post next to each entrance. Anyway, tech is improving, as are user tech skills. Four years is my design adoption goal.

143245 wrote:

So besides that (personal) point, how do you handle estimated event interest? With a billboard one could do tear off tags with the pertinent information (and a cell phone to text) so you have an idea of how many are going to show up. How would you anticipate folks who don't use BGG much knowing about what's going on or changes? Just working through the mental gymnastics is all.

The BGG Geeklist does require users set up a BGG account, or email the GM (if GM is willing to share contact info). At the cons I attend, gamers just show up. Events aren't ticketed. If there are too many for available boards or not enough for a game, they just move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.