Up Front» Forums » General

Subject: Banzai and Desert War from Wargame Vault rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Brian
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I want to treat myself to these but when I go to checkout on the WV site, the cheapest postage is...... £50 !!! This is to the UK.

I am still tempted but can others opine on the quality etc of the product as I think twice about spending £50 on a game let alone postage so want to feel happy that I am not buying something that is not up to scratch.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Jornet
Spain
Valencia
Comunidad Valenciana
flag msg tools
The sword is the mind. If the mind is right, the sword is right.
mbmbmbmbmb
At least it is not £50 per card...

Yes, postage has driven me off from a lot of purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the quality was mostly good.

The images on the cards are scans with the errata digitally corrected, so the text is a little fuzzy except for the corrections. It is all very legible and easy to play with, it just looks a little funny sometimes.

The personnel cards are narrower in this reprint, so they got a little squished to fit on the narrower cards. It looks a little funny, but works just fine.

The rulebook has smaller dimensions so the text is tough for me to read, being a little bit small.

These are all minor nits and do not really affect play. The game is still tons of fun.

I have no idea how to overcome the overseas shipping costs. I pay them when I buy stuff from overseas. I once had this idea of a "sneaker-net shipping service" where gamers visiting other countries could arrange with gamers in the destination country and slip some games into the luggage for cheaper mailing upon arrival. Perhaps with all this social media stuff (ere, FaceBook and CSW) you could find someone to do that for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Since the shipping is so high, you may want to wait a little as any day now, WGV should be announcing the availability of all the replacement chit cards (that already come for the expansions! but not the base set) which will be included with the base up front bundle. I'm waiting for that as well before ordering the expansions.

I found the quality great. In my opinion, better than the original. I keep a small magnifying glass with my base set. I like the fact that all the errata is corrected on the cards. I wouldn't want to take a sharpee marker to the original set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Ft. Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikebrn wrote:
I want to treat myself to these but when I go to checkout on the WV site, the cheapest postage is...... £50 !!! This is to the UK.

I am still tempted but can others opine on the quality etc of the product as I think twice about spending £50 on a game let alone postage so want to feel happy that I am not buying something that is not up to scratch.

Mike

Do you have a US contact? A lot of times it's actually cheaper for you (the overseas person) to have a US straw buyer order the item and then reship it overseas. I've done this before for lightweight items (under two ounces) that the distributor wanted $15 to ship to England and I was able to ship for $3.18
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brian
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thanks all for your time to post advice - gratefully received. Will retire to review it all over a cup of tea and biscuit. Some wise word to consider.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.