Subject: Watch It Played? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
black gauntlet
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, Patrick.
Just saw the Live Stream from Watch It Played (for those who don't know, the host provides very comprehensive video tutorials on board games) and they could not do a tutorial, which is a crying shame, because they can't get a copy of your game.

Any possibility for a tie-up with them to help clear up any doubts on the rules with their visual aids?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. They told me on Twitter they were too busy. I have not once said no to a reviewer contacting me and asking for a copy.

Could this have been done with an email or message? Why am I getting called out for something I did here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Currie
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Look, honey, he thinks there's honey in there!
badge
We can't all be Zheleznogorsk.
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:
Wow. They told me on Twitter they were too busy. I have not once said no to a reviewer contacting me and asking for a copy.

Could this have been done with an email or message? Why am I getting called out for something I did here?

Patrick, I didn't read the original post as being particularly incendiary. The way I read the post, Rodney
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
just isn't able to get a copy via retail in order to do a video when he is finally available.

I talked with Rodney briefly at Gen Con and also spoke to a number of publishers about his videos. The impression I got is that he's pretty heavily booked for filming commissioned instructional videos. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but the impression I took away from the OP and @WatchItPlayed's Tweet is that Rodney is actually booked solid AND can't get a copy via retail for his own enjoyment and/or producing a video.

Watch It Played purposefully shies away from the 'Reviewer' title, and he focuses almost solely on producing high quality, scripted, concise instructional videos as well as playthroughs with the YouTube audience. I'm not sure how he books his jobs, so I won't speculate. He does a really good job, though, so if you're looking for really solid instructional videos, you may want to coordinate with him. At the very least, he may be able to get it in before the second printing's arrival.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Right reviewer is the wrong term, but I have copies held back for industry folks that want to review or help with the game's development which this falls under. I would even be happy to compensate him.

Sorry I guess I just feel a bit hemmed in here. No harm was done, I'll go have some coffee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to be a bit of confusion around what I was saying, so apologies to all involved as I may not have been as clear as I intended, or perhaps my comments were just misunderstood.

Vast was a game I started to pay more attention to during Gen Con as more and more people were talking about it. So congrats to Patrick - rising above all the buzz at Gen Con is no easy task. It suggests he has something special here!

Anyway, I never actively pursued getting a copy, and Patrick certainly never denied me a copy (I never asked him for one!). My current shooting schedule is booked solid for the next few months and Vast does not appear to be the kind of game you can just wedge into a few spare hours.

People have asked me directly if I would be doing a video, and my answer has been something along the lines of "I'm interested in the game, but I'm not free to do it anytime soon, and even if I wanted to, I don't have a copy anyway". That last part is probably where I screwed up, because I just meant to add that it's physically impossible for me to do it anyway - but that's not because Patrick ever denied me the option. "I" denied myself the option. So many games, so little time.

Either way, I'm very happy to know people would enjoy seeing us cover the game as it sounds like Patrick has really attempted to do something innovative here, and that's exciting for our hobby.

If I try the game in the future, (as time allows) and I think it would be a good fit, this is something I'll talk to Patrick about, to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
There seems to be a bit of confusion around what I was saying, so apologies to all involved as I may not have been as clear as I intended, or perhaps my comments were just misunderstood.

Vast was a game I started to pay more attention to during Gen Con as more and more people were talking about it. So congrats to Patrick - rising above all the buzz at Gen Con is no easy task. It suggests he has something special here!

Anyway, I never actively pursued getting a copy, and Patrick certainly never denied me a copy (I never asked him for one!). My current shooting schedule is booked solid for the next few months and Vast does not appear to be the kind of game you can just wedge into a few spare hours.

People have asked me directly if I would be doing a video, and my answer has been something along the lines of "I'm interested in the game, but I'm not free to do it anytime soon, and even if I wanted to, I don't have a copy anyway". That last part is probably where I screwed up, because I just meant to add that it's physically impossible for me to do it anyway - but that's not because Patrick ever denied me the option. "I" denied myself the option. So many games, so little time.

Either way, I'm very happy to know people would enjoy seeing us cover the game as it sounds like Patrick has really attempted to do something innovative here, and that's exciting for our hobby.

If I try the game in the future, (as time allows) and I think it would be a good fit, this is something I'll talk to Patrick about, to be sure.

Rodney, how did you get your Diplomacy score that high? Was it just triple-sixes at character creation? Or did you find an Ancient Amulet of Diplomacy on a trek through the woods of Canada? Is there an online course or a special diet? We need to know your secrets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponder Stibbons
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
Pelvidar wrote:
Rodney, how did you get your Diplomacy score that high? Was it just triple-sixes at character creation? Or did you find an Ancient Amulet of Diplomacy on a trek through the woods of Canada? Is there an online course or a special diet? We need to know your secrets.

I hear Rodney was bitten by a were-bard after successfully convincing his GM that "boardgames" were a musical instrument and confer all charisma bonuses when wielded as such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
Pelvidar wrote:

He wears his Polo Shirt of Charisma + 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
stevelabny wrote:
Pelvidar wrote:

He wears his Polo Shirt of Charisma + 10.

You're all a little too close to knowing my secrets!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black gauntlet
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Pelvidar wrote:

Ah, my bad. Sorry, Rodney. Hey, maybe if Pep's unlocked, hopefully he could lessen your burden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blackgauntlet wrote:
Pelvidar wrote:

Ah, my bad. Sorry, Rodney. Hey, maybe if Pep's unlocked, hopefully he could lessen your burden.

No worries!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.