Subject: Warhammerquest character progression and loot beater. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Need some suggestions on games that have the meaty character progression that Warhammer Quest has,even if it is wacky and sometimes terminal like the unstable chaos warrior is.
Looking to play it with kids as an alternative so does not necessarily need to be miniature based or even a dungeon crawl.
It comes down to the individual upgrading and gathering of skills,loot and stats take we are looking for.
I like Kingdom Death: Monster but looking to play the game with kids and grown ups that may feel awkward using the highly graphic and sexualised miniatures ( hey I agree they are artistic too ).
Looking forward to recommendations and any previous discussions as I am pretty sure others have looked for WHQ alternatives with it being discontinued and pretty pricey too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the Pathfinder adventure card game suggestion, though you need to be prepared to buy a LOT of expansions to get the full campaign.

I hate to recommend it (the company has treated their KS backers very badly), but Shadows of Brimstone is basically Warhammer Quest with a horror-old west theme. It's less fiddly than Warhammer Quest, and marginally better balanced (though there's still a lot of REALLY big balance problems).

If you feel like beating each other up, Arcadia Quest might fit the bill (though I feel like the last quest is terrible; the rest was fun though).

There's a whole slew of adventure games that should have character building on their way from KS including:
7th Continent
Gloomhaven
Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game
Middara
Sword & Sorcery
Super Dungeon Explore: Legends
Massive Darkness
Folklore: The Affliction

But no idea how any of them will turn out!

There is also the new Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower, but the character building is very minimal compared to the old WHQ.

Or you could always pick up an actual RPG like D&D or Savage Worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the recommendations some of them have got my backing aswell.I am aware of a few of the games apart from Midarra which is a complete mystery.
Further investigation is needed.
The shadows of brimstone games look very similar to WHQ in structure.
That's what is great about BGG it is a most excellent knowledge base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, PACG is pretty boring, but perhaps your kids would enjoy it. I much prefer Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game, the latest entry in the D&D Adventure System board game family. In contrast to the previous titles, it supports campaign play.

I guess, you've already looked into it, considering you enjoyed the Warhammer Quest board game, but there's also Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game, which offers campaign play and character advancement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
I guess, you've already looked into it, considering you enjoyed the Warhammer Quest board game, but there's also Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game, which offers campaign play and character advancement.

I found the advancement in the WHQ card game fairly disappointing; you've got like 4 improvements each, which are all pretty similar to each other, and you find a piece of treasure here and there that usually just gives you a small bonus to rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I found the advancement in the WHQ card game fairly disappointing; you've got like 4 improvements each, which are all pretty similar to each other, and you find a piece of treasure here and there that usually just gives you a small bonus to rolls.
Well, I think it's better than the character advancement offered by PACG, YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin works quite well with kids. Also teaches them some basic math, but mostly encourages them to negotiate, kill, and loot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
StormKnight wrote:
Well, I think it's better than the character advancement offered by PACG, YMMV.

Better is going to be subjective, but WHQ ACG has literally 4 skill cards per character and a handful of treasures as your character's advancement for the entire campaign. A PACG character will change more than that in one single game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
A PACG character will change more than that in one single game!
A PACG character doesn't change in any meaningful way. Yes, you can replace your mace with a sword, but what does that change?
The PACG system is incedibly drawn out. Characters don't change noticeably in a single campaign. It takes many campaigns for that, because that's how they sell their expansion packs! But, I guess we have to agree to disagree about that. I just can't find any redeeming quality in PACG. Imho, it's just plain bad in every regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
StormKnight wrote:
A PACG character will change more than that in one single game!
A PACG character doesn't change in any meaningful way. Yes, you can replace your mace with a sword, but what does that change?
The PACG system is incedibly drawn out. Characters don't change noticeably in a single campaign. It takes many campaigns for that, because that's how they sell their expansion packs! But, I guess we have to agree to disagree about that. I just can't find any redeeming quality in PACG. Imho, it's just plain bad in every regard.

Agreed. Don't forget to add little to no decision making. Flip a card, roll some dice. Yawn.

Descent is what you want. Easily one of the best RPGish type games out there. Nice progression through each campaign and it's a beautiful game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Necromunda but it is OOP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.