7,011 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
44.2% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Road to Legend» Forums » General

Subject: RtL Quality Inquiry. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

My girlfriend and I just started into Road to Legend, and we're in the middle of our first two player session (first side quest of the mini-campaign, involving rescuing spiders, or some such).

We're enjoying things, but have found the scenario a touch unimaginative. For those unfamiliar, you spawn onto a map with a goal to "explore to find a nest" (I honestly can't even remember if we're told why finding this nest is even important). You then face group after group of semi-random feeling monsters (Ettins, Golbin Archers, etc), all without a lot of flavor. Interactions with the scenario felt a bit more removed than we hoped, especially since the objective is so abstract (it's really just a mcguffin to run into monsters to kill).

Anyhoo, We're left to wonder if this is a good representation of Road to Legend, or whether this quest (and/or this entire mini-campaign) are a bit lower quality than other offerings. Neither of us mind the tactical combat thinking, but both of us prefer outsmarting scenarios over crushing them (i.e. using traps to immobilize or distract enemies before locking them in a room to buy us precious minutes to decode a codex is more our speed -- and yes, we do own Mansions ).

We'll eventually see this and Kindred Fire to conclusion, for sure, but wanted to hear if this quest was basically what everything else felt like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Milligan
United States
Bristol
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From what I understood, the first campaign was meant as a tutorial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
linktriforce007 wrote:
From what I understood, the first campaign was meant as a tutorial.

Right, I've read that too. What I'm unsure of is whether the tutorial nature means substandard depth *within* a quest, or merely substandard length across the campaign.

It's definitely the latter, but I was curious whether it was the former too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.