Hide
10 Posts

Blood Rage» Forums » General

Subject: Would the game work with 6 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JJ Micromegas
msg tools
Hello, just wondering if you think the game could be played with 6 players, assuming that you have the KS exclusives plus the 5-player expansion.

Other than extra time I don't see why not. Cards won't be an issue as I already play with 5 players using the KSE exclusives, each player just starts with 6 or 7 cards rather than 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Dodson
United States
Akron
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not enough room on the board, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think it would be a bit overcrowded space-wise, along with upsetting the balance that already can swing quite a bit in 5 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wagner
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
Not enough room?!? It's a game of epic battles and conquest. You want room, take it!

Balance issues?!? It's Ragnarok & Roll for me. The only thing better than 3 player Blood Rage is 4 player Blood Rage. Guess what's better than 4 player Blood Rage? That's right - 5 player Blood Rage.

I wish I had those exclusive Rams and a few extra cards to get a 6 player game going.

It would probably be an imbalanced, chaos filled mess, but I'm betting it would be an incredibly exciting chaos filled mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it'd be fine.

The 5th and 6th player in turn order could be hampered a bit. Might need a slight rules mod to mitigate that a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that:
* nothing in the game mechanics is incompatable with 6
* the game would be considerably tighter, and likely more "swingy" as players get caught in various crossfires
* game time would increase, as would downtime
* balance -- hard to say (try it and find out, I guess!)

Regarding the turn order issue PJ brought up, I'd suggest moving the first player marker by two positions each age; that should even that aspect up somewhat.

If you try it, be sure to post your impressions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironregime wrote:
I think it'd be fine.

The 5th and 6th player in turn order could be hampered a bit. Might need a slight rules mod to mitigate that a little.

I don't really see any substantial objections, either.

Especially if you have the mystics, some extra monsters you should have more than sufficient cards to draft from. Sure, it may become a tad crowded on the board, but that also offers more/other opportunities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
This was discussed in the variants forum a while ago, I tried it once and it worked well, these are the adjustments I made (you need the KS material for that obviously although it can be achieved with 2 core games and some paint I guess...)

1- Setup as with 5 players.
2- During Gods gift phase the province destroyed during the rangarok is also restored (this kept board size pressure a bit lower during late game).
3- Cards: Add all optional kickstarter monsters and 5 player cards, deal 7 cards instead of 8 to each player and discard 1 instead of 2 at the end of the draft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Micromegas
msg tools
Those are good ideas, however, rather than restoring each province that is destroyed by Ragnorak I suggest only doing this at the end of the first age. That way you still get some crowding effect at the third ange and it also makes sense with the progression:

3-players: destroy 2 provinces at the beginning of the game
4-players: destroy 1 province at the beginning of the game
5-players: destroy 0 provinces at the beginning of the game
6-players: Only destroy a province at the end of second age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
JJMicromegas wrote:
Those are good ideas, however, rather than restoring each province that is destroyed by Ragnorak I suggest only doing this at the end of the first age. That way you still get some crowding effect at the third ange and it also makes sense with the progression:

3-players: destroy 2 provinces at the beginning of the game
4-players: destroy 1 province at the beginning of the game
5-players: destroy 0 provinces at the beginning of the game
6-players: Only destroy a province at the end of second age.

That was my first thought as well but I thought that 1 extra player on the third age puts significant more pressure than just one province... I think both would work fine though :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.