Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just got this game and played it for the first time last night. We really enjoyed the mechanics of it, but our game went by very easily. I see other people posting about how their first game was very difficult and often losing to it, so I am wondering if we did something wrong.

We played on the "intro" track, and we had the generalist and the dispatcher (randomly assigned). It seemed that the Dispatcher always gave us the mobility to go wherever we needed to be and the Generalist had so many dice and ignored biohazards (the Generalist never rolled more than one biohazard per turn), that it always seemed simple to treat cases and collect samples. We only had one epidemic during the game and we had already cured 2 diseases at that point, so we never felt in peril of losing. One mistake that we noticed and corrected early on was that we forgot to "lock up" the "collect sample" dice on the role card. So we re-rolled them, but we caught and corrected this after a couple turns, so I wouldn't expect it to have given us a huge advantage?

So, what happened here? Was it just lucky dice rolls? Are Dispatcher and Generalist OP? is the game so perfectly balanced that our couple extra dice rolls threw it off? Were we probably making some other rookie mistake? Is the "intro" game that much easier than the regular version? Or are we just that good ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Fillingham
msg tools
mb
You may have just rolled really well (I can't remember having a game where the generalist didn't have the second biohazard on a turn). I've never had that much luck with the dispatcher, though. Either we didn't get the helicopter, or she was never in the same region with someone, so couldn't send them out. Every now and again she was helpful, but it was not a constant ability in our experience.

There are some games that I smoke through, even starting on the regular starting spot, and others where I'm slammed before I can cure more than one or two diseases. You may have just gotten the first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gacy
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you played a two-player game, I'm not surprised. I almost always win a two-player game, I've won 3 player a few times, and maybe once in my entire playing have I won on a 4-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Between luck and a 2p game, it sounds like that was probably it. Just to cover our ends though, some of the more commonly missed rules have appeared to be:

--At game start, remember to seed the "board" with 12 infection dice. Any '+' rolled then... reroll them until you get pips

--Treated cubes go into the Ring, but then another Treatment action is required to put each cube back into the bag

... that's all I can think of for now, although that may be it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
slfillingham wrote:
You may have just rolled really well

amg100 wrote:
If you played a two-player game, I'm not surprised.

ackmondual wrote:
Between luck and a 2p game, it sounds like that was probably it

Thanks, everybody. We thought it may have something to do with being 2p. Hopefully playing on the regular track or with more players will fix it right up. I will probably be playing this 2p very often, but I hear Pandemic: The Cure – Experimental Meds is supposed to kick the difficulty up, so maybe that will make 2p games a bit more challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have actually found the game more difficult with fewer players since you have fewer dice available when they are locked up as samples.

That said, I have found you can sometimes just have insanely easy or insanely hard games based on whether you happen to be rolling a lot of biohazards or CDC symbols.

One rule that I have found some people get wrong is creating samples from the regions. You have to create samples from the treatment center.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 10 times with 2 players, all on normal difficulty, and have won 8 of them.

You definitely got a bit lucky with the rolling. My wife has rolled 5 biohazards in a single roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My First game was an easy win too. However I realized by the start of the second game that I was in fact cheating. Make sure that when a die has 2 symbols that you are choosing only 1 of those symbols (ie, Fly OR Treat for the Dispatcher, but not both). I found that this mistake made the game WAY too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, another thing to look out for, although only one group did this...

When you sample an player die, you still need to roll them to find a cure. Somebody thought that whatever you sample it as is what it is... no rolling required (which means you almost always try to sample up a '6')
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.