$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 116.66

7,091 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
44.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: 3D scenery suggestions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew H
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on where I can find 3D scenery that could be places on red squares that block line of sight? I think having pieces on the board will both improve the look and feel of the game as well as help me remember that LoS is blocked there.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Model train stores would have things like benches, trees, and shrubs. Try Hobby Lobby if you can't find a RR store near you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can check out Worldworks Games website. They have printable scenery that you can create with a bit of patience. The company hasn't done anything new for a long time, but you can still purchase the pdfs. They have a wilderness set that has trees and shrubs. They have dungeon type sets that include walls chests and other related scenery. They even have an inn, complete with furnishings.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like the most obvious and easy thing would be a pillar or something with some height. I've seen those for various games at the game store. Unused trap minis (if you have them) might also be a possibility. Targa pylons from Shadows of Brimstone if you have them? 20 sided dice? Hirst models makes molds for castable terrain including boxes which would work well. You could probably find some thick cylinder shaped objects at the Home Depot (dowels, washers, etc.) which could be painted.

We need a good terrain pack for this game to hide behind or jump on top of for a height advantage.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are crafty maybe you can take some tips from the Master. Check out Shy's post on megacon web site http://megacongames.com/community/#/discussion/1014/shydesig...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I use the stuff from the "Twisting Catacombs" Kickstarter vom Zealot Miniatures. They have amazing detail. Only downside, they are a bit fragile and not everything from the KS is in their store yet.

http://zealotminiatures.com/

The stuff is really great when you want to tell your own adventures. You can easly add quest objectives or just dress up a tile.

I've posted those images over various threads already, but perhaps it is easier to get an impression that way.






5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
NSW
flag msg tools
That looks great. What are those skeletons in the second last pic? Shamblers are pretty much the only Myth minis I don't like.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They are from "Dungeon Command". It was - I'm not sure if that game is still alive - a skirmish game re-using D&D minis from WoC.

Edit: All Dungeon Command minis come pre-painted.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be a shame to add all this cool terrain to the game without making the terrain MATTER. Cover, height advantage (jumping up on terrain), making defensible positions by moving boxes, and so on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Abercrombie
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It's been confusion from the word go!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dwarven Forge has some cool stuff. Not as many options around furnishings like the Zealot stuff, but they are extremely durable. Some examples of stalagmites and mushrooms in the link.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/20571686#20571686

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tobi .... your stuff looks like garbage! How can you stand playing with that crap?!

laugh cool

Seriously .... I gotta get over to Nurnberg someday and look you up! Your Myth sessions have got to be Epic. I am definitely envious of your group's resources. That atmosphere you create must make the stories feel so much more "alive". Great stuff, man!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
It would be a shame to add all this cool terrain to the game without making the terrain MATTER. Cover, height advantage (jumping up on terrain), making defensible positions by moving boxes, and so on.


The cost of making terrain anything other than an obstruction that breaks line-of-sight is a twisting rabbit-warren of rules... Don't get me wrong, I love a good rabbit-warren, but I don't drop Myth on the table when I want to play Mordheim

I think that one of great things about Myth is that you've been given explicit permission in the rulebook to make up your own rules, to do what's fun. I think Myth's a great starter kit for stuff like this, there are lots of little levers to pull - for this case, maybe something under the "non-combat actions" umbrella? If you come up with something that's easy to use and works well for both heroes and the Darkness, post it here - I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd enjoy reading it and maybe someone would use it in their own game.

Cheers
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
Tobi .... your stuff looks like garbage! How can you stand playing with that crap?!

laugh cool

Seriously .... I gotta get over to Nurnberg someday and look you up! Your Myth sessions have got to be Epic. I am definitely envious of your group's resources. That atmosphere you create must make the stories feel so much more "alive". Great stuff, man!


You are welcome any time!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zogre wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:
It would be a shame to add all this cool terrain to the game without making the terrain MATTER. Cover, height advantage (jumping up on terrain), making defensible positions by moving boxes, and so on.


The cost of making terrain anything other than an obstruction that breaks line-of-sight is a twisting rabbit-warren of rules... Don't get me wrong, I love a good rabbit-warren, but I don't drop Myth on the table when I want to play Mordheim

I think that one of great things about Myth is that you've been given explicit permission in the rulebook to make up your own rules, to do what's fun. I think Myth's a great starter kit for stuff like this, there are lots of little levers to pull - for this case, maybe something under the "non-combat actions" umbrella? If you come up with something that's easy to use and works well for both heroes and the Darkness, post it here - I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd enjoy reading it and maybe someone would use it in their own game.

Cheers


I agree with zogre. When I backed TC I sat down an wrote some rules for using different sized objects as weapons / cover.

You could throw small items at minions to force them to attack you,
You could hit minions with medium sized items to make them prone.
You could take cover behind large items. Depending on monster rank, enemies could destroy cover.
It's all written (in German). If you are interested I can translate it and post it.

BUT the point IMHO is: It's not worth it. The game slows down too much and people focus too much on hiding, throwing stuff because - they can.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew H
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zogre wrote:
I think Myth's a great starter kit for stuff like this, there are lots of little levers to pull - for this case, maybe something under the "non-combat actions" umbrella? If you come up with something that's easy to use and works well for both heroes and the Darkness, post it here


I've been thinking about creating a list of NCA options to add a bit more flavor to tiles. I especially wanted to explore the idea after we saw a couple examples of it during the Rise of the Revenant with the cart that you could search as well as the little armor stands.

It doesn't quite fit the theme of "set your difficulty" that Myth has but my original thought was to have a dice roll determine how many of these might show up on a tile.

I feel like if you could set them yourself, they should have a cost. Like, for every 2 loot piles you add, remove one possible treasure for this tile. The loot piles then provide a place that you could find treasure from more consistently but you have to roll a certain level on an NCA action to actually get the treasure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmb
DrProfHazzmatt wrote:


I've been thinking about creating a list of NCA options to add a bit more flavor to tiles. I especially wanted to explore the idea after we saw a couple examples of it during the Rise of the Revenant with the cart that you could search as well as the little armor stands.

It doesn't quite fit the theme of "set your difficulty" that Myth has but my original thought was to have a dice roll determine how many of these might show up on a tile.

I feel like if you could set them yourself, they should have a cost. Like, for every 2 loot piles you add, remove one possible treasure for this tile. The loot piles then provide a place that you could find treasure from more consistently but you have to roll a certain level on an NCA action to actually get the treasure.


We're getting into "dedicated thread" territory, but I've found that fate dice are great for these kinds of rolls. The "Darkness" result means you didn't find anything useful/something bad happens, but the other symbols result in rewards related to the symbol rolled. Every hero has a Fate symbol, so it seems to be right in-theme.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the simplest terrain use is as an obstruction to limit the approach of minions or captains. THAT is already in the game you you are making that plainer by putting actual 3d items on the red squares presumably.

Jumping on top of a box would presumably subtract 1 from your TNs striking down and add 1 to your opponent's. That doesn't seem too complicated. Cover would be more complicated but again, we could just add 1 to the TN for being next to cover or with cover between you and the enemy. Only ranged attacks would be affected of course.

That said, the tactical part of Myth is a work of art just as it is. But aside from making the existing terrain more obvious (which is fine and nice to look at) I would avoid any terrain which SHOULD give you an advantage but doesn't. Case in point is Shadows of Brimstone whose tiles have no end of terrain that SHOULD matter but doesn't.

It certainly looks cool on the board though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.