BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: Tactical Advance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Laffy Taffy
United States
California
flag msg tools
I don't know why, but I never thought to post my own creation here.

I had an rpg friend/graphic designer do a playrun with me. He said it was fun, but I'd need to do more playtesting. I'm not sure how it works around here on posting ideas (such as if I should upload the rules or not). As is they are about 20 pages with a quickstart section, but there is a lot of complexity.

It's basically civilization style combat (civ 2) mixed in with the option to flank. The map is supposed to be a hex, but I couldn't figure out a decent way to do hex map tiles, so I just arranged the squares in such a way as to allow hex movement. I then used flag markers to position the pieces around on the map.

The artwork in this setup is not my own, so it's only for my own personal copy (which is why I haven't tried to take it to gencon, because I'd have to use completely different artwork). I also handmade all the cards using cardstock... if I had known about printing sites ahead of time... (although I made this back in 2012, I don't know if there were card printing services available back then).

Image:
http://imgur.com/a/kOhwc

Basically, the cards have some basic stats, such as AV (Attack Value), DV (Defense Value), Hits, and MV (move value). Hits replenish every round. Unit can become wounded, if so, removed to the garrison (off map). So the goal is to kill. DV is a target number to exceed, AV is a value added to a 3d6 roll. Terrain gives bonus/penalties to DV and MV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Laffy Taffy
United States
California
flag msg tools
Since I posted, I've had a few ideas to improve my game. Anything to make it play faster and more streamlined.

I think I would like to implement cards similar to BattleLore, but also there was something about BattleLore that gave me an idea. Battlelore seemed to use units to measure hp (at least for archer's and foot soldier's, not sure how harder monsters worked, must just be DV). So I thought, maybe I could do the same with my game.

Instead of having HP, I could count the group size as a pool of points that could be added to AV or DV during combat. If a unit is lost, unused pool goes down for each unit lost. In this way, I'm borrowing the idea of group size representing HP, but instead of HP, it turns into spendable points that can be used to boost attacks or defensive values beyond the normal.

In this case, a hit equals a kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.