Terra Mystica» Forums » General

Subject: Snellman site, private game, select end-game scoring tile? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boris Langemark
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to play a game with a predefined setup, but unable to select a certain end-game scoring tile. Can it be done?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, let me find the posts about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
This post should have everything in it.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22652452#22652452
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Langemark
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks! Worked like a charm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are manually tweaked games automatically unranked? If so, how much game admin tweaking is allowed to still keep the game ranked (for example reverting a misclick)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm not sure how many changes will make it unrated. I do know that changing the setup keeps it ranked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Adding "option loose-adjust-resource" will probably make it unrated. It will absolutely make it unrated if the admin or anyone else then messes with the vps or other resources when "option loose-adjust-resource" is used.

You know for sure the game will be unrated when you see

"Dodgy Resource Manipulation"

Fun Fact: You can hold a rated auction game on Snellman if you start at 20vp. Players can subtract their own vp that they bid by typing it in the command box.

leech 1 from Nomads
dig 1. build F5
-6vp

If you bid more than 20vp or close to it, you can just subtract the points out later in the game since there are no mechanisms (yet) that reward having a lead or being behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
Fun Fact: You can hold a rated auction game on Snellman if you start at 20vp. Players can subtract their own vp that they bid by typing it in the command box.
Of course in a rated auction game, you want to play one of the underdog factions (Fakirs, Auren, Giants, ...), because you get compensated for their weaknesses by VPs, but the rating algorithm still considers them to be more difficult (because it doesn't care about the VP correction).

As a matter of fact, the rating algorithm also doesn't care about player count, or map, or other settings. E.g. Dwarves are considered just as difficult on the original map with cluster scoring as on the F&I map side 1 without extra scoring, even though the latter is much harder.

Potential solutions:
1) If players voluntarily subtract VP, consider this an auction game and ignore faction ratings (as the assumption is that the auction compensates for the delta in faction strength) - I'm not sure if this information is in the results list though
2) Calculate separate faction ratings for 3p/4p/5p games (2p games are not rated anyway) and the three maps. Of course the sample sizes get much smaller (e.g. only 90 Fakirs in 5p on F&I side 2).

I left out the (non-)presence of expansion scoring (and if so, which one) from solution 2 because that would bring down the sample sizes much more, to a point where a freak game or two could mess up the ratings quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.