Subject: First Big Bot Battle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you can see from the attached photo, things are about to turn ugly in Atrebates but before I commence the battle I just want to make sure I am following the flowchart correctly as I think there is the possibility that in fact no battle will take place.

It's Arveni Bots turn so the first decision point is are there more than 7 pieces where Romans have Legions. That's a yes so we move to the Battle box. The first condition there is Battle where loss on Legion. I have 18 warbands which halves due to the fort so that means 9 losses. I have 10 Auxililia so that means there would be no Legion losses. Therefore the Battle conditions are not met so I would instead have to March. Is that correct? Do the Gauls just run away from this fight? Or should I be using the Ambush SA, in which case there would be Legion losses and the Romans wouldn't be able to retreat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JS Bourget
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not very familiar with the bots but from the 2nd bullet of 8.7.1, Vercingetorix should not Battle as he doesn't have more than twice as many mobile pieces as do the romans (19 : 16)

Ambush wouldn't change anything about Legion losses, the fort halving the roman losses to 5 in this case.

tasmanuk wrote:
I have 18 warbands which halves due to the fort so that means 9 losses.

PS: your calculation of losses omits the fact that each warband contributes to 1/2 loss (then you need 4 warbands to eliminate 1 retreating/fort enemy; I often make this mistake myself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have the bot charts handy, but JS post sounds right.
That does not look like good odds for an Arverni attack, and even worse if they stay and wait for the Roman battle!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks both. So basically the Arveni Bot will only attack if they have a large numerical advantage (which of course makes perfect sense )

So that being the case they have to March away. The flowchart says they march first to most Arveni. You cant see it in the photo but the most Arveni are in Gergovia which is 3 regions away. Do normal March rules apply such that the most they can get to in this turn is 2 regions away? Does he have to continue marching on his next turn. Basically I'm confused about the "first to most Arveni" bit. Is that just telling me in what direction the Arveni have to March?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JS Bourget
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First is a priority order.
According to 8.7.1, Vercingetorix marches with all his warbands in an adjacent region (he's not fleeing, he's just biding his time). Among the adjacent regions, you first select those with the most arverni warbands. It seems from the picture that both Mandubii and Veneti qualify; There doesn't seem to be any further priority so the Vercingetorix destination will be selected randomly between these two regions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.