Popular Tags: [View All]
Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
~Deranged Review~

Hello! Welcome to this Deranged Review.

One of the perks of being FLGS-furniture is getting to play with the collection of our resident evil - and his collection reflects both wealth and taste. This Chairman of the Bored wanted to play something but lacked a third player to do it with. Intensly sleepy, I relented, under the condition that it was easy.

The Chairman obliged.

I'll be giving grades on several aspects of the game, such as discussed here.
For ART, I look at the big picture, and how that picture looks. EASE covers ease of play and learning curve, FLEXIBILITY covers the amount of free will you have and is therefore linked to replayability. FUN might be deceptive, as it's a gut thang, but I'll try and specify in the text, and COMPONENTS should be self-explanatory. I'll not say a lot about rules and specifics - you can find those out for yourself.

The Game Itself: Card-driven Chicken
Pick a card, either stash it in the Dungeon or remove Hero's gear, repeat. Last man standing/first to win twice wins!

ART
-I'm not sure (nor inclined to find out) who does the art for these small Iello games, but I really don't like these illustrations. Much like with Sea of Clouds, the art of the game is just offputting to me.

The iconography used, on the other hand, is well done. So a neutral score at best.

EASE
-Like most push-your-luck games, the game relies on tension to make the choices hard, not on rules. And this certainly works in this game's favour - I'd not have played it otherwise .

FLEXIBILITY
-The starting depth of push-your-luck games is naturally high, and Welcome to the Dungeon manages to add a bit more depth with very little complexity. There's always options to consider, information to process, and strategies to pursue.

As you need to win a round twice to win the game, not dying is a really solid idea. Not dying during the entire game will net you a win as well as winning twice, as long as all others are dead (#1). So it can suddenly become vital not to make you win the round, but to make the other bugger lose. And the game lets you do just that.

The "pick a card, decide to either place it in the dungeon for our well-meaning hero to get slaughtered by or discard it to remove a piece of equipment" mechanic makes every choice an important one, no matter which choice you end up making. You need to weigh what you know, what you want to accomplish this round, which pieces of equipment are still available (and how these feature in your grand schemes), how many cards are still left in the deck, if your opponents seem to want to move in or not, etc. etc... 's a lot of factors.

FUN
-It's just as with other push-your-luck games - the tension is real. The tension is mounting. Then, the tension is released. This tension is at the heart of many if not all push-your-luck games, and it's certainly present in this'n.

The fun comes mainly from outguessing the tension, outbidding your opponents and outlasting the competition - and gloating while you do it.

COMPONENTS
-The components were pretty ok.

Pro's
Short.
Easy.

Con's
Art.

End result:
I really liked Welcome to the Dungeon. It was short and sweet, and we ended up playing two full games (while I was nearly asleep mere moments prior). Since you'll never be fully certain what's in the dungeon, you'll have to glean such information from other players' playstyle. Passing too early will hand over the glory, passing too late will cost you the glory, and ducking out in time is not always easily accomplished - but unlike with many push-your-lucks, there is very little random about this game.

I've noticed a bit of a learning curve - apparently some heroes are better in some situations than in others. The Fighter can kill everything, for example. So picking off the right pieces of equipment is a skill in itself. There are many moving parts, as noted before, but it's all relatively easy to track. The specifics, however, can mean the difference between a game-ending win and sudden death.

I'd play this again, and probably again and again. It's a fun little filler game - and I like those. It's in the same vein as Love Letter - the better type of small filler. So try it! At worst, you'll have spent ten minutes .

As usual, please give your opinion in the comments .

Oh, by the way, I am Deranged. I like to have fun with (and around) boardgames, and have played many of them over the years. I've been furniture in my FLGS for years ^^. I tend to like old games; well, I tend to like good games, most of which have been around for bit ^^. I've written 78 reviews as of yet, which you can access here, and a handful of random topics discussed here. If you want me to write a review for you or recommend me a game, there's this neat little envelop near my avatar!

googoo

#1: 's how I won my second game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I find it interesting that you don't like the art. I know people who doesn't like the game but you are the first one I know who doesn't like the art. Weird.

Nice review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It happens .

It's too much "kiddy-version of Warcraft" for me, and I didn't play that. The colours don't sit well with me either. 's just a matter of taste, in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.