Subject: Bushwhacked! is a hoot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just a bit underwhelmed by the first three episodes, but I really like Bushwhacked. I lost, but I still had fun. I love the way the system handles the Reaver. Really feels like he's loose on the ship and deadly. In my game he finished off Jayne after wounding him four times! Fun.

I strongly recommend that you other solo players use the player-generated variant in which a Talent can be used to trigger any main character ability, and a Flaw randomly triggers a main character flaw. Really adds to the feeling that the whole crew is involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
just out of curiousity, which method did you use to determine which Flaw was triggered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I do is simply roll a die. I have the five main characters lined up in front of me. If I roll a 6, I reroll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
What I do is simply roll a die. I have the five main characters lined up in front of me. If I roll a 6, I reroll.

I was considering something like that (and I would use a die from Firefly: the Game, of course. haha).

Though I think I'm going to still have each player (or each deck, since I often play solo, but with 2 or 3 decks so that I can still Coordinate) pick their primary Avatar, and that character's Talents/Flaws are only available to that player/deck. I'd then assign one or two numbers to each of the non-player Main Characters, and roll a die when a Flaw is activated. If it matches the number assigned to a NPC, that player's Flaw is activated, otherwise it will be the Flaw of the player's main Avatar.

My proposed breakdown would be something like this:
1 player game (4 NPCs): each NPC is assigned one #, PC gets 2 numbers
2 player game (3 NPCs): each NPC is assigned one #, PC gets 3 numbers
3 player game (2 NPCs): each NPC is assigned two #s, PC gets 2 numbers
4 player game (1 NPC): NPC gets three #s, PC gets 3 numbers

Still the variety/variability, but with a bit higher probability of triggering your own Avatar's Flaw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Capo
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:

To avoid the slight possibility of rerolling 6s forever, on a 6 assign the flaw to a character whose art is more flawed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Carlisle
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
I was just a bit underwhelmed by the first three episodes, but I really like Bushwhacked. I lost, but I still had fun. I love the way the system handles the Reaver. Really feels like he's loose on the ship and deadly. In my game he finished off Jayne after wounding him four times! Fun.

I strongly recommend that you other solo players use the player-generated variant in which a Talent can be used to trigger any main character ability, and a Flaw randomly triggers a main character flaw. Really adds to the feeling that the whole crew is involved.

I couldn't agree more!
- The first play through was with a group of 4 total. We won all three sets in the opening series...and I felt underwhelmed.

Day Two: My best friend & I sat down to play the campaign (the rest of the scenarios)...We got destroyed! The way the cards lined up the ship strikes did us in without getting through the first 10 cards of Bushwacked!

I felt the same way after playing Bushwacked: the way the reever is handled really felt like we had to chase him...while attempting to disarm a bomb!

Great fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
As I noted in my GenCon review, we've liked all of the episodes except for Our Mrs. Reynolds. The design team really put some effort into differentiating the episodes and putting in mew mechanics.

Bushwhacked, Shindig, and Safe (BSS) are the one set out of the five "predesigned" sets that is the best, though. As I noted in another thread, that's really the one I would recommend for a demo, rather than Serenity/1, Serenity/2, and Train Job. BSS seems to show off the game at its best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gislef wrote:
As I noted in my GenCon review, we've liked all of the episodes except for Our Mrs. Reynolds. The design team really put some effort into differentiating the episodes and putting in mew mechanics.

(sorry, couldn't resist)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.