$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
46.1% of Goal | left

Support:

J K
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently I live in Indiana with my wife and 3 children. I have spent the last 32 years in Indiana and need a change. My wife is all for it, the kids are all for it. Is Utah a good place to head in general? Gaming? Schools?

The real lure for us is the change of scenery. It is also a great location to do traveling and experience what the west has to offer, which we definitely want our family to experience- and not just in a quick trip sort of way.

Any info would be most appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not unless you are mormon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Utah is a good place. Lots drier than what you will be used to out there. The gaming scene is great. Lots of gamers out here. There is a guild if you are going to be in the northern part of Utah to check out for sure

https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/1104

We have a convention every year that has about 1000 people but growing each year and is a blast that you can check out here:

http://saltcon.com/

The schools are decent. There are lots of kids out here, so the classroom sizes are rather large compared to other places around the country. My daughter just started second grade and is in a dual immersion program learning Chinese. There are other languages your kids can start at the 1st grade all over the state.

Feel free to GM me if you have any questions or just want to chat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Averett
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
uh...whose turn is it?
badge
I spent 100gg for this?!?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
Not unless you are mormon.

Says you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Iachini
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for Utah, but I live in Denver and I've found it to be a fantastic place for board gamers. There are several small local conventions each year (including a new one starting this October). There are some great game stores (including a new one that just opened this past weekend). There are some good local game designers and publishers (Mike Fitzgerald, Mr. B Games, Terra Nova Games, heck, even me!).

Schools in the south metro area are supposedly excellent (I don't have kids, so this is second-hand knowledge). It's still in the Mountain West, so you get the change of scenery you're looking for.

Plus, the overall quality of life is outstanding. Tons of outdoor activities. Beautiful weather. Lots of sunshine. Just the right amount of snow. And, it's easy to fly direct from Denver to tons of places in the US if you want to travel, with no in-country flight being too long due to the central location.

Man, I'm glad I moved here! I'm making this place sound awesome. (Because it is.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Moffett
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Utah is great! I live here and although I don't go to many organized gaming events, I know of several and they are located and held regularly. I get together with my own friends often, but when they aren't available I don't struggle to find fill-ins because everyone is very kind! I would highly recommend it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What contact I had with those in the state was only for a few days, but quite pleasant. I don't know if they were Mormon or not (AFAIK, probably, yes), but they never made that into an issue.

In addition to Salt Con, there's also Bryce Con (mid state) and STG Con (southern end of the state), which are still within comfy driving distances from Salt Lake City (2.5 and 4.5 hours respectively)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Sandy
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I live in Salt Lake and love it. The diversity of activities is what I really enjoy. Skiing is world class and just a few minutes away. Camping, hiking, mountain biking, cross country skiing, snowboarding, paragliding all wonderful. During the Winter Olympics some world class facilities were built around Salt Lake (I play hockey and there are ice rinks all over the place, and plenty of ice time), but there also great summer sports too and plenty to do. Lots of places for sailing, kite boarding, kayaking, rafting, etc nearby. Amateur astronomy is something I enjoy. It's a couple of hours drive to some of the darkest skies in the nation for star gazing. Beer I also enjoy. There are some great local brew pubs. Wasatch, Squatters, Epic, Bohemian, and Red Rock all nearby.

I just recently discovered hobby board gaming, and don't know a lot of local gamers, but there are a few good game stores and local events as mentioned. Game Night is the place I always go. Great people, and everyone is very friendly. Some great local game designers too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Beautiful scenery with lots of options for outdoor activities. I haven't gamed with any groups, but I've thought about it and they look fairly active. You don't have to travel too far to find a FLGS either.

Schools are good, but as mentioned they're large class sizes. Utah has the lowest per student funding in the US, but still manages to sit middle of the pack for level of education. When I looked at the statistics Utah looked on par with Indiana regarding quality of education.

If you're an alcohol drinker, then you might want to know Utah has some odd laws. Draft beer can only be 4% ABV. Bottled beer has no limit (at least not that I've seen). I think the current rule for mixed drinks are 1 oz alcohol and .5 oz for "flavoring". All alcohol except 4% ABV beer has to be purchased at a state run liquor store (higher ABV beer, wine, liquor, etc.).

While there's a high percentage of Mormon families in Utah, there's also a lot of non-LDS. Most Mormons aren't pushy or preachy or anything like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Spence
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Move to Alaska. I will be your gaming friend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any recommendations on areas? I am currently looking into Highland. It appears to have quite a few good schools located around it. 30 minutes from SLC.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrayDaddy wrote:
Currently I live in Indiana with my wife and 3 children. I have spent the last 32 years in Indiana and need a change. My wife is all for it, the kids are all for it. Is Utah a good place to head in general? Gaming? Schools?

The real lure for us is the change of scenery. It is also a great location to do traveling and experience what the west has to offer, which we definitely want our family to experience- and not just in a quick trip sort of way.

Basing your life around games first, then education seems risky. I could be wrong though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrayDaddy wrote:

I've lived in Indiana before (Evansville) and moved from the southeast to UT for 2-1/2 years. We just moved back to the southeast to be close to family.

It was a phenomenal 2-1/2 years. The culture shock isn't anywhere near what you would expect if you live in or just outside of the city such as draper and sandy areas.

The outdoor recreational activities are awesome. The national parks were our favorite. We always had something new to do. It was hard to move back to boring AL after being in Salt Lake.

It's an awesome place for board gamers. There are local game shops everywhere and tons of meet up groups.

Overall, we can't say enough great things about UT, although you will have to get used to being asked "are you a member of the church." I'm not sure how that would impact children in school though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Sandy
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GrayDaddy wrote:
Are there any recommendations on areas? I am currently looking into Highland.

Housing in highland is much cheaper than salt lake, you can get a lot of house, but be aware that south of draper is more of a culture shock. Sandy, holladay, salt lake, avenues, millcreek, cottonwood heights are all great. Also the nicer real estate is along the east benches near the mountains, and closer to activities also, but price goes up. Up around park city is also nice but longer drive to salt lake (about 40 mins). The closer you get to university of Utah and the capital, or anything with a good view of the valley tends to be more.

Also I'd suggest visiting in the winter. The is a temperature inversion that can create aweful air quality a couple months of the year in salt lake valley. Something you will want to be aware of. The winters are relatively short though, 4 mo of snow on the ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Sandy
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
VaultBoy wrote:
If you're an alcohol drinker, then you might want to know Utah has some odd laws. Draft beer can only be 4% ABV.

True, but the liquor laws aren't nearly as bad as they are made out to be. The beer in supermarkets is 4%, but liquor stores are easily accessible, and have good selection and ok price. We just buy all our beer, wine, and spirits from there. If you're into home brewing, there are some good shops to supply that habit also. Most of my friends home brew, so lots of beer around to try. A couple of great local distilleries also. I really like High West whiskey and vodka.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
GrayDaddy wrote:

Basing your life around games first, then education seems risky. I could be wrong though.
I've stuck around an area more than I probably should've due to some excellent gaming groups. However, when I needed to look for work, I told myself I'd gladly sacrifice gaming if it meant getting benefits and a paycheck again. To this day, it was the right choice, and I use that to "cheer myself up", even though there are times I'm bummed by it.

Now that you mentioned it, we did lose at least 3 gamers from our groups because they started college way out of state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
GrayDaddy wrote:

I was mainly worried if I didn't make it seem like a gaming need, I would get shuffled off into some random Utah forum where no one would see it. Gaming is honestly a very low priority in the move- although it is a hobby the family gets into. Education is really the most important as it is the source of my employment and 2 of the 3 kids are in school.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Reimschiissel
United States
Sterling
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Utah is very diverse depending on where you live. I grew up in Utah county and that's where I got my gaming start. Utah county and southern Utah are very conservative and salt lake county is much more liberal. Housing is getting more expensive in Utah and state income tax is around 4%. Property tax is low though so cost of living is moderate. Winter in Utah is more mild than where I live now (northern Illinois). Utah's inversion and bad air in the winter is miserable. You can head to the ski resorts and Park city shopping to escape it but that's about it. Southern Utah does not have the inversion problem. If your just looking for some good outdoor activites and good gaming you'll find it. If I were to move back, St George would be my number 1 pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most important question:

Do you drink alcohol?

Yes - Functioning drunk = NO, don't move there
Yes - Social drinker = NO, don't move there
Yes - Once or twice a year = coin flip
No but I might want to start - NO, don't move there
No NEVER = Yes, welcome to Utah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Strong
United States
Springville
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Highland has some of the best schools on the Wasatch front.(I used to be a middle school English Teacher) I'm from a small town further south called Springville. There's also some good charter and private schools around. It really is a great place to live!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Hubbard

Hampton
Virginia
msg tools
I am from Indiana. (Martinsville is where I was born and raised, playground is where I spent most of my days.)

I joined the Air Force after college (Purdue University) and my first duty assignment was Hill AFB near Layton, UT. There is an excellent game store just outside the gate. Also game stores in Ogden and up the canyon into Logan Utah. My kids attended preschool in Utah and did well. As has been mentioned, there are more kids in Utah so classroom sizes are larger.

We greatly enjoyed our three years there. Lots of outdoor activities. Lots of museums and activities for kids. I recommend the Ogden Rail Museum on historic 25th street that also houses the Browning gun museum and a classic car museum. Temple Square is awesome. I took my brother and his wife to a live broadcast of Music and the Spoken word.

The climate is drier, but surprisingly not much colder than central and northern Indiana. One thing that I quickly had to get use to is the remoteness of the Valley. In Indianapolis you are within four hours of many other cities (Chicago, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Louisville, Detroit), but in SLC you are 6 hours from Denver, 6 hours from Boise and around 6 hours from Vegas. If the Valley doesn't have what you want, then there is some travel involved.

Also, the percentages of Mormons in the state is spread out. High percentages in the cities around BYU (Provo, Orem). Around 50% near SLC and a little less in Ogden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lambert
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrayDaddy wrote:
Are there any recommendations on areas? I am currently looking into Highland. It appears to have quite a few good schools located around it. 30 minutes from SLC.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

I live in Highland and LOVE it. Yes, there are many Mormons here. Feel free to GM me with specific questions. My kids go to Highland Elementary, Mountain Ridge Jr., and Lone Peak.

Lots of gamers in the area. I have a game group that plays every week.

I've lived in Utah for 10 years. Have also live in California, NYC, Washington D.C.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.