Subject: foamcore V1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in one of the videos it was mentioned that each race expansion has enough new stuff to add that race as a player including more planets and space lanes. I then thought to myself, wouldnt it be neat to have a player box that included all of that together.

after getting the game, i worked out what all that extra stuff should be, namely
-10 space lanes of each size
-10 command tokens
-5 ascendancy tokens.
-plastic pieces in your color, home planet, 3 starbases, trade rout, fleet and advancement cards.

so i set about mocking up a foamcore box. now this is my first attempt at one of these, and i know its none too neat because i knew it was just a rough draft. here is what i came up with.

Fully closed, this is what you would hand to a player.

you then slide out the player board which doubles as a lid.

remove cards from top, your pieces, starlanes and tokens are available to pull out as needed.

and a side view to compare.

any thoughts or suggestions welcome. i figure i can probably get 6 of these in the base set with no box lift, or more if i tip them sideways and have them lift the lid a few inches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Outstanding!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you figured out how to compensate for the wildly different shapes that the player boards come in if the plan is to use them as a lid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
chbyer wrote:
Have you figured out how to compensate for the wildly different shapes that the player boards come in if the plan is to use them as a lid.

They are varried shapes but all fit in the same area. So all the boards can fit into the space space as the Fed board.
That being said I would not recommend using them as covers, they will not hold up to any abuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
chbyer wrote:

They are varried shapes but all fit in the same area. So all the boards can fit into the space space as the Fed board.
That being said I would not recommend using them as covers, they will not hold up to any abuse.

not sure what abuse they would suffer, nothing will be setting on them really.

i used the federation board for sizing as it is the most square and seems to fill up the available space. the plan for the others is that top ridge that holds the player board in place as the lid will be larger and shaped to the player board. at least that is the plan. before i finalize these i want to make sure the race expansions do come with the space lanes, ascendancy and command tokens.

anyone have any suggestions for improvements? i know some things need to be slightly resized, and i was thinking and lowing the walls around the space lanes, making it easier to pull out the tokens.

anyone know why there are 10 command tokens? you start with 5, +1 for tech, +3 for starbases. if you take over a starbase you take one of their command tokens, anyone know what the last one is for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Hey there, I think these are great and am really interesting in doing it myself. Any chance you could post the dimensions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoodGuyJim wrote:
Hey there, I think these are great and am really interesting in doing it myself. Any chance you could post the dimensions?

i plan on it, working on v2 this weekend. i am shortening the width slightly, and making the walls shorter along the star lanes, to give space for cards and such. also toying with the idea of thick card for the top rather than foamcore (the bottom already was thick card)

any other suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Klaxas wrote:
GoodGuyJim wrote:

i plan on it, working on v2 this weekend. i am shortening the width slightly, and making the walls shorter along the star lanes, to give space for cards and such. also toying with the idea of thick card for the top rather than foamcore (the bottom already was thick card)

any other suggestions?

The only thing I would say is I don't see how the expansions couldn't have their own commands and ascendancy tokens. Also I'm guessing they'll have their own space lanes too, but even if they didn't I like the idea of each side having their own to use on their own turns, so I'd keep them in your box.

Looking forward to v2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoodGuyJim wrote:
Klaxas wrote:
GoodGuyJim wrote:

any other suggestions?

The only thing I would say is I don't see how the expansions couldn't have their own commands and ascendancy tokens. Also I'm guessing they'll have their own space lanes too, but even if they didn't I like the idea of each side having their own to use on their own turns, so I'd keep them in your box.

Looking forward to v2

its hard to see but the commands and ascendancy have a space in v1. someone from GF9 said the expansions would have space lanes so thats why i incorperated them. he could have been wrong though so we will see when we see but i will plan as well as i can for everything included and most likely make some tweeks after we see for sure whats in a race expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spacelanes were definitely specified to be part of the expansions.

it would be bad form if you had to buy another base set for more tokens/spacelanes to be able to use expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:

it would be bad form if you had to buy another base set for more tokens/spacelanes to be able to use expansions

agree except you could always swap out races without increasing player count so you wouldnt need extra space lanes. and really our group doesnt usually hit the space lane count. if they come out with 10 extra races over the next 3 years i wont need 10 sets of space lanes (I wish i had a group that large willing to play a weekend game!)

i think my favorite play mode will be 5 players, with the 2 initiative cards per player varient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

agree except you could always swap out races without increasing player count so you wouldnt need extra space lanes. and really our group doesnt usually hit the space lane count. if they come out with 10 extra races over the next 3 years i wont need 10 sets of space lanes (I wish i had a group that large willing to play a weekend game!)

i think my favorite play mode will be 5 players, with the 2 initiative cards per player varient.

But you don't want to have any one expansion require another expansion. If the base game doesn't have all the components necessary for all player counts (and it most certainly doesn't), then you need to add a player's worth of new components in each expansion. So down the line, the guy who hasn't bought any expansions can buy expansion #7 without having to also buy an earlier expansion for the components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
Klaxas wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

But you don't want to have any one expansion require another expansion. If the base game doesn't have all the components necessary for all player counts (and it most certainly doesn't), then you need to add a player's worth of new components in each expansion. So down the line, the guy who hasn't bought any expansions can buy expansion #7 without having to also buy an earlier expansion for the components.

this is very true. they could set it up with "player count" expansions and "race expansions" so a player count expansion would have space lanes and resource nodes and resource tokens for 2 extra players. the race expansions would have the races and their stuff.

if they did that i wouldnt need more than a 7 player game im sure but many would only need a 5 player game (few want more than a 5 hour game) this would have a benifit of bringing down the cost of the race expansions which im sure would be more popular.

overall i think they went the right rout with the space lanes. someone else suggested they may have resource nodes in the race expansions and i dont think they will but who knows really. so really this box wont be final until we know for sure. really excited about this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.