Subject: When to Rate/Review a game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Jones
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
I'm curious to see if anyone has any thoughts/guidance on when someone should review/rate a game?

I'm new to BGG and I want to make sure I'm contributing correctly and appropriately. It seems to me that my rating of a game is subject to lots of things.
Scenarios to explain:

-Maybe my initial impression wasn't good because I was confused.
-Maybe I played the game wrong and later get corrected.
-Maybe I think it's amazing until a find a new similar game that's even better and I thus think less of the original game.
-Some games just take a while to digest and several times playing before you can fully appreciate the game.
-Some games fade in awesomeness overtime (I think this is natural isn't it?)
-Maybe I've only played so few times I shouldn't rate at all

I understand that I can go back and change my ratings and edit reviews, but a constant changing of scores seems pretty time consuming.

Anyway, any advice or thoughts on how long they typically wait to review a game, or how many times they play before they review again, or when they choose not to review a game would be a big help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Huber Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For such a subjective thing, there's really no right or wrong way to rate your games. They are YOUR ratings, and they should reflect how you feel about the game. There's nothing wrong with letting your game "mature" for a few plays if you wish; it allows you to get a good feel on how good/average/bad YOU think the game is.

If it really bugs you, just go to your collection every so often (once a week? once a month? once a year?) and see if you still feel the game deserves that rating in your eyes. Hover over the little question mark next to your rating entry to see a general BGG rating guideline, although many use their own guideline. You can do no wrong, just enjoy this great resource and go play all the games you can!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are remotely a serious board gamer, then your initial impression of how you personally feel about a game will not change often.

In most of your above scenarios, you kind of feel that when you are playing.n I use decimals to make it easier to see games that I what to revisit and adjust the rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
when your comfortable with it.
As long as its applicable to you its as accurate as it needs to be. I like using the comments with the rating to explain away all those concerns.

I think the biggest reason to have them understandable to others is when you come asking for recommendations and most here will be able to tell if your ratings are influenced by a limited view or whatever.
Its all so objective and your already thinking how to best use them so your judgement is good, trust it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tucker8807 wrote:
For such a subjective thing, there's really no right or wrong way to rate your games. They are YOUR ratings, and they should reflect how you feel about the game.

I'll continue with that thought a little bit. The comments and rating are as much your notes to yourself, even though everyone can read them. Make your notes anytime there is something you want to remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Holidays! ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your rating is yours. Do whatever you want with it. When you feel you're ready to rate it, you are.

Your comments, in your game collection, are yours. So many people do mini-reviews in them that they're a prominent part of the new game page. But some people put personal notes in them. Use them however you please.

For a formal review, submitted for a GG award, I think you should probable play the game a few times. This varies depending on the complexity and variability of the game, the number of games like it you've played, and your understanding of the game. But this is just my opinion and you can write a review after playing once. First impressions are useful, too, and I expect a lot of video reviewers only play a game once. Of course, the users who moderate the review can refuse it, but I expect that doesn't happen for any reasonably well written review.

Thanks for caring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever you want. If you want to change it, feel free at anytime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.