11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Publisher help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Carter
United States
flag msg tools
I am trying to find a publisher for my game and this is my first one to be published. It was received warmly at salt con, has been playtested thoroughly, and is ready to be published. The only problem is that I do not know of any publisher that would help. Why I say this is because I live in pocatello Idaho where nothing really exists. My game is a town defense game like ghost stories, but has more mechanics and a different theme. The game is quite different from ghost stories, but that is the general idea. Does anyone know of a publisher who would be a good fit for this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some tips and publishers listed on my blog page:
http://www.jamesmathe.com/courting-a-game-publisher-dos-and-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kenny
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for that link, James. I came here looking to start my own thread since one thing that seems hard to find is good advice on approaching publishers (as opposed to self-publishing). That answered a lot of my questions!

I'll hijack this thread for a few more questions though, if any of you could please lend your experience to a new designer.

1) I live in Canada, and the FallCon Canadian Game Design Award caught my eye as something I might enter next year. How important is that sort of thing?

2) My understanding is that a publishing company would be looking for a sheet of basic information, a complete set of rules, and some pictures of the game to get the process started. Anything else? What should that sheet of info contain? Do you have some examples of good info sheets you could share?

3) From that point forward, how does the publishing process work? They like the initial look and ask for a copy of the game to try out. Then, what, they just decide to take the game on? How much would I be involved in the process after agreeing to pass it off to them?

4) I understand that a company will essentially want to see a finished product, but is there anything else a company will consider necessary to even consider a game? For example, a minimum number of play tests?

5) What kind of percentage would one expect to get from a project? I've heard rumours of about 5% of MSRP - is that pretty typical for a company to offer? What might that depend on?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you guys can give me on this. Much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stockwell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen,

Here's some quick answers to your questions -- hope they help!

1. Based on the small bits I've heard, awards for unpublished games are likely to give you a better chance of having your game considered by a publisher.

2. There's sell sheet design info all over the place; my single best resource is from League of Gamemakers -- http://www.leagueofgamemakers.com/how-to-build-a-sell-sheet-...

3. Here's one way the pitching process may work:
0.: Identify publisher(s) for whom your game is appropriate
1.: Contact correct person and submit exactly what's asked for (description, maybe NDA, &tc.)
2.: Have a pitch meeting (10-30 minutes) and/or create a 5-minute video pitch; provide a physical prototype and/or Print-and-Play [a.k.a. "PnP"] files
3.: Wait 3-6 months to hear back (checking in with them at the three and six month marks).
4.: If they want to go forward, they'll send you a contract
5.: For 3-18 months, they'll develop your game; you may be involved a lot, a little, or not at all
6.: With development (and art) complete, the game goes to the printers; when received back, goes out to distributors, who get it to FLGS and OLGS

4. The completeness of the game (reasonably sound mechanics, balance, and up-ramping tension) is key. While amount of regular and blind playtesting may come up, the quality of gameplay is king. I have heard that some publishers want to literally see feedback sheets from play sessions

5. It varies tremendously based on many factors. If you want a short answer, I'd say for a first-timer, 2.5% would be reasonable -- but depending on many factors, it could definitely be more (or less).

Cardboard Edison did a great survey about signing games, and turned the data into informative graphics. Pop over to cardboardedison.com , and search for "signing a game" -- should bring up the info

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kenny
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for that, Craig. Gives me plenty to read through the next few weeks as I move along here. I may necro this thread again with more, but that's great to get me started. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to conventions is the best way to become friends with and then work with publishers. Salt Con sounds like a great start. Do as many conventions as possible. Demo for publishers. Hang out with other designers after hours. Networking in person is the key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Stedman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Fire of Eidolon Pre-Orders available at MagicMeepleGames.com
badge
Magic Meeple...the boardgame people! MagicMeepleGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGShop wrote:
There are some tips and publishers listed on my blog page:
http://www.jamesmathe.com/courting-a-game-publisher-dos-and-...

^ This guy knows what he's talking about.

Go to gaming conventions offering Designer/Publisher Speed Dating and meet them all at once! That is, by far, the best bang for your metaphorical buck. I signed Fire of Eidolon from a Speed Dating event James ran at Origins a couple years back. They work. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kenny
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks again for all the useful info before! Greatly helpful in putting together the first draft of my sell sheet. Much appreciated.

Now that the first draft is done, I'd appreciate any feedback you fine folks here can give me. If you were a publisher (or maybe you are one!) would you want to playtest Merchant's Dilemma based on this one page?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxOdGoAbzTY5X3lYbE9QTUVvWU...

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me.

Stephen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If it were me, I'd spend less time explaining the basics of The Prisoner's Dilemma and more time on the other mechanics. (I am not a publisher.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn Hommes
Netherlands
Dordrecht
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizo wrote:
The only problem is that I do not know of any publisher that would help. Why I say this is because I live in pocatello Idaho where nothing really exists.

So what? You could live on top of Mount Everest for all I care. We live in a global economy. You don't have to live near the publisher or manufacturer to have a game published. You just have to be willing to spend some money to send them a prototype.
Look into your own games collection and see which publishers come closest in terms of theme, game complexity and style to what you've made and send them that prototype. (Make sure that your accompanying letter has proper capitalization. I noticed you forgot some capital letters in your post.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kenny
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
If it were me, I'd spend less time explaining the basics of The Prisoner's Dilemma and more time on the other mechanics. (I am not a publisher.)

Thanks for the feedback. I've actually had the same comment from another person too, so I think I didn't fully take into account my audience here. Gamers seem a fair bit more aware of the Prisoner's Dilemma than the average person. I should probably assume publishers will already be aware of the idea here and just kick it off with "Inspired by the famous Prisoner's Dilemma..." or something. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.