United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Supposedly the new Chtlutlu-reskinned edition will have an expansion: 56 extra cards that aren't "boom" or "safe" or "wire" cards but instead will trigger events that happen when they're drawn. Here's what I have so far:

Quote:
TimeBomb Expansion

Add the following cards to the deck of cards, replacing 6 “safe” cards:

Wire Cutters (2-Clubs) – Whoever draws this controls the card picking for the rest of the round.

Warning Sign (3-Clubs) – When this is drawn, discard face down all cards of this card’s owner remaining. They cannot be picked for the rest of the round.

Dirty Laundry (4-Clubs) - Look at the card owner's role card.

Instruction Manual (5-Clubs) - Look at any facedown card (not role card) and show everyone before putting it back where it came from.

Radio Interference (6-Clubs) – The owner of this card cannot communicate in any way (talking, gestures) during the round they own it until it has been revealed by another player.

False Wire (7-Clubs) – Return a previously drawn Wire card to the discard pile.

Thoughts? (Note: I put in references to playing cards because obtaining the "real" version of this game is impossible, so we play it with a deck of cards.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the source of this news? I have the IB&C Kickstarter and I don't have those cards, so this will be an additional expansion/promo?

Edit: There are six cards that almost match up to what you have. They are distinct.
Mirage allows the return of an Elder Sign to the reshuffle pile, Prescient Vision allows players to reveal a card then turn it back to face-down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The NECRONOMICON expansion adds a second objective that investigators must discover: The Necronomicon (3 cards). But these are dangerous because they can´t be revealed until at least one elder sign has been discovered.

The expansion also support for up to 10 players (one extra cthulhu card, more character tiles and investigation cards).

Finally, the last module is the OBJECTS OF POWER (6 special investigation cards that replace futile investigation cards):

INSANITY´S GRASP: If this card is unrevealed in front of you, you cannot communicate.
PRIVATE EYE: Secretly reveal your role to the investigator.
PARANOIA: Control the flashlight for the rest of the round.
MIRAGE: Return a previously discovered elder sign to the reshuffle pile.
PRESCIENT VISION: Reveal a card, flip it back over.
EVIL PRESENCE: Return all your unrevealed cards to the reshuffle pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I worked on the Objects of Power cards, so I'm biased there. But we throw them in occasionally when we're looking for something to mix it up a little. Also, we mostly use them with higher player counts (7+ players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also, I believe the variant of passing the flashlight round-robin also made it into the IB&C rules, which we also use all the time (since I almost always play with 5 or more and I strongly feel that round-robin works better at that player count).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete I played with 5 of 6 of these (didn't know about the thing that sets you back a wire). They are fantastic! Especially the thing that causes you to not talk. We played it so you couldn't gesture how many wires/bombs you had as well, which definitely changed up the game quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks . The no talk is actually "no communication". So no gestures, nodding, talking, eye rolls, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteVasi wrote:
Thanks . The no talk is actually "no communication". So no gestures, nodding, talking, eye rolls, etc.
Yes! It is so much better than simply "no talking" since you can actually play this game in silence with only gestures. So any card that screws with that dynamic is amazing and really changes up the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Slightly different topic, Pete, since you seem to be a TimeBomb expert here...do you have any thoughts on TimeBomb II? Will this be an IB&C release too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Right, the hope was a curveball that changes the thinking/approach to the game. Seems like it's doing well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Slightly different topic, Pete, since you seem to be a TimeBomb expert here...do you have any thoughts on TimeBomb II? Will this be an IB&C release too?

I've not played it yet, I'm sure I will at some point. If it's good, then I'll pass along a recommendation. Whether that recommendation becomes an IBC release is not in my hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony C
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure I'm clear on this but Prescient Vision has you reveal a card but it doesn't count as "revealing" it in game terms, right? So someone flips up my Prescient Vision, I use the ability and reveal a card that happens to be Cthulhu, then flip it back face down, now I take my regular turn. Right? Or is that my turn? I assume I can use Prescient vision to flip one of my own cards, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dexdouglas wrote:
Pretty sure I'm clear on this but Prescient Vision has you reveal a card but it doesn't count as "revealing" it in game terms, right? So someone flips up my Prescient Vision, I use the ability and reveal a card that happens to be Cthulhu, then flip it back face down, now I take my regular turn. Right? Or is that my turn? I assume I can use Prescient vision to flip one of my own cards, right?

Right, I thought the text might say "Show a card to everyone." Meaning that it's not "revealed" in game terms and doesn't have an effect other than everyone knowing what that card is.

The person that holds the flashlight while Prescient Vision is revealed is the person that chooses a card to show to the group. They can choose any face-down card in front of any player (including themself). The flashlight passes after they've completed that action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony C
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteVasi wrote:

The person that holds the flashlight while Prescient Vision is revealed is the person that chooses a card to show to the group. They can choose any face-down card in front of any player (including themself). The flashlight passes after they've completed that action.

I don't have the rules in front of me but when does the flashlight pass?

Example:
Person A holds the flashlight and selects Person B's card. It is prescient vision. Person A now gets to select a card and show it to everyone, then turn it back face down. Now Person A's turn is over and it goes to person B.

Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dexdouglas wrote:
PeteVasi wrote:

I don't have the rules in front of me but when does the flashlight pass?

Example:
Person A holds the flashlight and selects Person B's card. It is prescient vision. Person A now gets to select a card and show it to everyone, then turn it back face down. Now Person A's turn is over and it goes to person B.

Is that correct?

I don't have the rules in front of me either. But yes, that's all correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elhnad legs
msg tools

I don't understand. what do you replace this elder sign card with in the discard pile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
elhnad wrote:

I don't understand. what do you replace this elder sign card with in the discard pile

You don't replace it, but you do reveal an extra card during that round to make up the difference.

Basically, keep revealing cards until everyone is going to be dealt the same number of cards in the following round. The MIRAGE'd elder sign just becomes one of the cards that's shuffled and dealt for the next round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elhnad legs
msg tools
got it. makes sense now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteVasi wrote:
elhnad wrote:

You don't replace it, but you do reveal an extra card during that round to make up the difference.

Basically, keep revealing cards until everyone is going to be dealt the same number of cards in the following round. The MIRAGE'd elder sign just becomes one of the cards that's shuffled and dealt for the next round.

Wow that really should have been in the rules. That is not at all intuitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elhnad legs
msg tools
I'm having trouble figuring out who takes the action in some of the expansion cards, the investigator, or the person whose card is revealed.

INSANITY´S GRASP: If this card is unrevealed in front of you, YOU cannot communicate.
PRESCIENT VISION: Reveal a card, flip it back over. (petevasi said investigator does this)

from a mechanics point of view, it seems that the person's who's card is revealed should be the one able to have these "abilities" since he/she was able to get the investigator to pick his card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
elhnad wrote:
I'm having trouble figuring out who takes the action in some of the expansion cards, the investigator, or the person whose card is revealed.

Originally, I had them differentiated by saying "the investigator" or "the target", but that might have been a bit wordy.

Anyway, specifics:

elhnad wrote:
INSANITY´S GRASP: If this card is unrevealed in front of you, YOU cannot communicate.

This is the only weird one where it takes effect up until it's revealed. The effect is on the player with the card in front of them as they're the only one that knows for certain if they have it. (Hint: It's a funny thing to bluff too.)

elhnad wrote:

The investigator holding the flashlight and revealing this card continues to control the flashlight for the remainder of the round.

elhnad wrote:
PRESCIENT VISION: Reveal a card, flip it back over. (petevasi said investigator does this)

Correct, the investigator holding the flashlight and revealing this card shows one card to everyone.

elhnad wrote:

"Your" really loses meaning here. This one means that the target's unrevealed cards are returned to be shuffled in for next round. So, if you reveal this card in front of a player, that player cannot be a target for the rest of this round.

elhnad wrote:
from a mechanics point of view, it seems that the person's who's card is revealed should be the one able to have these "abilities" since he/she was able to get the investigator to pick his card.

I went with it being the investigator that actually makes a decision when holding the flashlight, everyone else is just talking/hoping/manipulating to try to sway that decision. Maybe you don't trust the current investigator with the flashlight for the remainder of the round so you hold off telling everyone where that you're holding that card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.