Subject: Shotgun Blast rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zoe used a Shotgun Blast to attack a hidden card that turned out to be Patience. The text on Shotgun Blast says that if the card is an enemy, defeat it. If any other card, "reveal it as normal."

Question: Does that mean that Patience's "reveal" power is NOT used in this case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
that's a good question. Do the enemies technically get Revealed prior to being defeated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patience's reveal power is to deal Zoe a Crew Strike, and Zoe is a supporting character (as her cards are in the Crew deck), so that has no effect, but I guess you would usually apply Reveal effects before the defeat, yes.

I would also apply the Ongoing text. So with Patience having an effect that she can't be defeated if there's another Outlaw in the Verse or Combat Zone, that would take effect and stop Shotgun Blast defeating her. We're told I. The rules tell us that "can't" beats "can", so this seems to fit.

The real weirdness would be when a Reveal effect (it won't be Patience of course) defeats the player who played Shotgun Blast. My guess is that you cannot complete the resolution of Shotgun Blast, but perhaps that's wrong...

Edit: I've since changed my mind. You probably should finish resolving the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
that's a good question. Do the enemies technically get Revealed prior to being defeated?

Shotgun Blast literally says you reveal it, so I think any Reveal effects must activate. Ongoing effects are 'always' active, so they'd have to be applied too, as I mention above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good analysis all around. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
I would also apply the Ongoing text. So with Patience having an effect that she can't be defeated if there's another Outlaw in the Verse or Combat Zone, that would take effect and stop Shotgun Blast defeating her. We're told I. The rules tell us that "can't" beats "can", so this seems to fit.

The real weirdness would be when a Reveal effect (it won't be Patience of course) defeats the player who played Shotgun Blast. My guess is that you cannot complete the resolution of Shotgun Blast, but perhaps that's wrong...

I agree that the Ongoing text should be applied, and if the Ongoing text prevents the card from being defeated, I'd say it stays in the Verse (but remained revealed).

However, I disagree on the second point. Even if the reveal/ongoing text defeats the player, I still think the Enemy is defeated (unless another effect specifically prevents that). Gunfights can leave both participants wounded/dead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On further thought, I'm inclined to agree that you should complete resolution of the card. The reason why is there are many cards which defeat themselves upon use as the last part of their ability. If you didn't fully resolve such cards upon defeat, they could be used again once you are healed and that seems totally unintended.

Thus, I think a card's resolution should complete even if you are defeated part-way through. I'll play that way unless a dev or FAQ says otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Patience's reveal power is to deal Zoe a Crew Strike, and Zoe is a supporting character (as her cards are in the Crew deck), so that has no effect, but I guess you would usually apply Reveal effects before the defeat, yes.

Edit: I've since changed my mind. You probably should finish resolving the card.

Unfortunately, there are a number of occasions in the game where issues like this occur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.