Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
(Apologies if the card name is incorrect; going from memory)

Got to try Thief's Market today with 3, and it was excellent. However, the card Wicked Satchel is ridiculously powerful, and game-warping. It gives you one point whenever someone steals your pile. In one of our games, someone got that early in deck B, and got 3-5 points off of it every single round for the rest of the game. Her strategy was to take everything, forcing people to steal from her several times. We tried everything to try and counteract it, particularly trying to get start player away from her, but that was difficult because she was willing to go far lower than anyone else to keep start player; the only way to do it was to basically sacrifice your own turn, and that really only had the effect of preventing her from gaining a couple of points the following round.

I feel this card would be better if it was limited to once per round, but I think I'm just going to be removing it from my copy of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Wicked Satchel is broken
When the pile is stolen, are people returning more than one item into the center? If you stole from her, you could keep like 4 items and return the other 7. The next player could take 4 of those, and then the player with the Wicked Clutches has to choose the remaining 3 or steal 4 from either player.

The first few times I played it, I thought you were only supposed to return one item to the center when you stole from another player.

I personally think Loyalty Program is the strongest card in the game, and I now know to make sure I have a lot of gold handy going into the C Deck cards. It's worth one point for every other card you have at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played twice, but the player who bought Wicked Clutches hasn't won either time, or even come close. It nets a point or two a turn, it's certainly powerful, but it's not been game-breaking. Or the Loyalty Program, for that matter.

Both games have been four-player, which might make a difference, but in one game a player did exactly what you said, taking as much as possible as soon as possible in order to force people to steal.

As said, though, if a player does that then after a steal or two they should only be able to take a reasonably-sized share, and they don't have much control over what that share is.

I think the item might actually be better-used by taking a slightly higher share you really want, since it discourages people from taking it off you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does sound like you might be playing something wrong, I don't see how someone was getting stolen from 3-5 times per round. When you steal you take everything, you must keep at least one item and you must return at least one item to the centre. Shares should even out very quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, we did indeed miss that. We thought you stole the entire pile and only returned one item each time. That would have made a huge difference. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure the designer and publisher would appreciate a quick edit of the thread title
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Ah, we did indeed miss that. We thought you stole the entire pile and only returned one item each time. That would have made a huge difference. Thanks!

laugh We did the same thing! Everyone agreed the card felt way over powered. The game kind of fell flat, and it wasn't until a play or two later that we discovered our mistake.

On a related note, if you have the first pick and don't like any of the options, you can choose the whole pile to force other players into re-rolling a bunch of the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
I'm sure the designer and publisher would appreciate a quick edit of the thread title

Good point, amended
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Boyd
United Kingdom
Newtownards
County Down
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! We overlooked that rule too! Well, it was only our first game and the guy who got the Wicked Satchel card racked up quite a lot of points, but he still didn't win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod A.
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played about a dozen games so far, and even with the fact that one can return multiple items after stealing, someone getting Wicked Clutches changes the game from everyone pursuing their own strategy to everyone doing whatever they can to minimize the number of points the player with Wicked Clutches gets each turn. The card's not "broken", per se, but it makes the game a lot less fun for us. We've played a few games without it in the deck, and it becomes a much more enjoyable game for our group that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teufelaffe wrote:
We've played about a dozen games so far, and even with the fact that one can return multiple items after stealing, someone getting Wicked Clutches changes the game from everyone pursuing their own strategy to everyone doing whatever they can to minimize the number of points the player with Wicked Clutches gets each turn. The card's not "broken", per se, but it makes the game a lot less fun for us. We've played a few games without it in the deck, and it becomes a much more enjoyable game for our group that way.

I have to agree with this to a large degree. It certainly does change the games energy noticably. No longer are people focussing on their own strategies. But instead, every move they make is based around working against that one card.
The player who gets it does what ever they can to just keep getting stolen from.
Usually they snag the first player marker and begin each round by stealing the entire pile, thus forcing someone to take from them.

But then the rest of the players have to balance their piles to assure that if the player with this item does rob someone, their new stash will not be too big.

The last game we played, the player with it did lose though. He spent so much energy trying to get it to trigger that he didn't really buy much else.

I think WHEN it shows up is important. If someone gets it later in the B row, it will only activate a few times.

So I agree, it is not broken, but it does change the game a bit.
However it is not a fast track to victory as long as players keep it in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.