Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules point out that on a Corruption check, bursts still cause an extra die to be rolled (even though the 'fist' has no effect.

The Fire check rule doesn't point out that bursts are re-rolled though. Are they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Bradford
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking a burst-is-a-burst-is-a-burst.

When overviewing dice (pg32), it states:

"Hit with Burst - Counts as a Hit result, but also immediately roll an extra die. If that die also results in (bursty fist symboly), roll an extra die, and so on."

I interpret that as a 'catch-all' for any rolls... but this brought up another question that I now have to chew on for a bit...

Hope that helps.

(Edit: Oh, by the way, I LOVE your work. The Arkham Horror stuff you did has fully supplanted any other rules material I had for the game. Am I to take this as meaning you're working on The Others, too?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I am, it's about half done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the reminder is there on corruption checks to ensure players still roll an extra die, despite the burst hit result itself not counting. Its not a "wild" like Faith, so I'm sure they intended additional clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Bradford
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
I think the reminder is there on corruption checks to ensure players still roll an extra die, despite the burst hit result itself not counting. Its not a "wild" like Faith, so I'm sure they intended additional clarity.

Ah! This was that 'other question' I mentioned earlier. So consensus is 'regardless of the symbols required for the particular check, a burst is a burst'?

Going with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Duran
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my take as well - bursts are bursts are bursts.

It's amazing how brutal that can make even a single Fire token. I think FAITH players will initially undervalue how dangerous a space with Fire will be until they see a single Token give them 60% of their Wounds in a single walk into its space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JaydedOne wrote:

It's amazing how brutal that can make even a single Fire token. I think FAITH players will initially undervalue how dangerous a space with Fire will be until they see a single Token give them 60% of their Wounds in a single walk into its space.

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will check the rules again, but somewhere I believe it explicitly mentioned that burst hits for fire checks are rerolled count as a success and add another dice just as for combat hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Burst hits count for fire; they did it in the gameplay video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bursts are not re-rolled, they just add an extra dice. Also, they definitely count as fire damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hot Rod
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinkster wrote:
JaydedOne wrote:

This.

I have to admit, going into my third game as the Sin today, I undervalued the fire tokens. A Faith player moved into a space with fire, and my single roll exploded eight times, taking out their unwounded Bruiser in one move. Brutal, and a bit demoralizing for the Faith, but it seems like it adds some balance for the shortcomings the Sin faces (half as many actions, one vs many, fewer options, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hot Rod
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After rereading the check rules on page 31, this is actually answered on that page.

In the example given, second paragraph, last sentence, it states the Sins player "then rolls 1 die for the Fire Check, scoring 2 Hits thanks to a Burst result!"

Case closed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.