Subject: I don't get the Secret Passage Escape card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yuepheng
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All I know is that I add one die for each Terror card left in the deck, having a max of 5 dice. If I fail the roll, then I basically lose. However, there are no conditions listed in the card.

What is consider a successful roll? Is there a rule about this in the book?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yuepheng,

Before we start, it's always best that when asking a card related question on BGG, to always include the card text with your question. Most of us who answer questions don't have all the cards memorized for all our games! So to help us help you in the future, let us know what the card says and we can provide a quick response. Plus it helps others who may view the thread.

On to answer your question:

The "Secret Passage" Escape Demand Card says:

"When the last hostage leaves the Hostage Pool, make a Threat Roll. Add 1 die to the roll for each Red Terror Card still in the Terror Deck (max 5 dice). If the roll is failed, the Abductor escapes".

OK, your answer is all in there. Let's see how we get it:

First, there are no conditions on the card. This is simply a demand card that doesn't have conditions. As it says at the bottom of the card, it "is not a Demand that can be conceded."

Next, look at the card text where it says to make a Threat Roll. How to make a Threat Roll is explained on page 7 of the rulebook. Nothing has changed from those instructions... yet.

Then, it says to add [to the Threat Roll], 1 die for each Red Terror Card. It sounds like that you already got this part down. Plus you understand that no matter how many Terror Cards are in the deck, the max dice you'll roll for your Threat Roll is five.

So for instance, if your Threat Level is 4 and you have 4 red cards in the Terror Deck, although that adds to 6 dice (2 for the Threat Level and 4 for the cards), you'll only roll 5 dice for the Threat Roll required by "Secret Passage". But again, it sounds like you got that part.

Then next, you roll your dice for the Threat Roll as you would do for any Threat Roll. If you don't roll any successes, it of course means you failed the roll. So in that case, according to the card, the Abductor escapes! But if you roll at least one success, then you don't fail! In which case, the Abductor doesn't escape and the card has no more effect.

The rule for a successful Threat Roll, is also on page 7: "Each result of 5 or higher is considered a success... If none of the dice result in or are converted to a success, the Threat Roll has been failed."

Bottom Line: This card rewards you for having four or more Red Cards in your Terror Deck, as in which case you would roll the maximum number of dice so to maximize your chances of rolling a success result, for the Threat Roll that this card requires.

IOW, If you're doing well, then this card is not much of a problem... i.e., if you still have lots of red cards in the Terror Deck and your Threat Level is OK, then there's less of a chance that the Abductor will secretly escape!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuepheng
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Thanks a bunch for the detailed response! It's always hard to remember all the rules to a newly bought game lol. Totally makes sense now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.