Subject: Enlist - one time action, each just once? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the enlist bottom action, you pay the cost then move the recruit cyclinder from one mat to another. Doing so unlocks a game-long bonus if you or a player next to you takes that action later on. It also grants a one-time bonus - 2 popularity, a combat card etc.

I understood the rules to mean that you could claim each one-time bonus only once - that the recruit cyclinder is placed on the mat to cover the bonus you've just taken, and the next time you enlist you have to take a different action.

Am I right? I read one thread here where taking the same bonus over and over seemed to be advocated, hence the source of my confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'm not a Scythe expert, but I believe that if another player takes the bonus, and you have previously unlocked it, you also get the bonus.

However, in a 2P game, it's only ever triggered once.

Am I correct there? It's how I read it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
I understood the rules to mean that you could claim each one-time bonus only once - that the recruit cyclinder is placed on the mat to cover the bonus you've just taken, and the next time you enlist you have to take a different action.

Correct. (That's why it's called a "one-time" bonus.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Burbach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you've answered your own question. Since you have to cover each one-time bonus up after claiming it, you can't claim it again with a different recruit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
simondtaylor wrote:
OK, I'm not a Scythe expert, but I believe that if another player takes the bonus, and you have previously unlocked it, you also get the bonus.
However, in a 2P game, it's only ever triggered once.

This is misleading. There is a one-time bonus that you get once (as the name implies) immediately after recruiting (i. e. in the course of a Recruit action).
The recruitment also unlocks an ongoing bonus that you get whenever you or your neighbour takes that bottom-row action. The only caveat for the 2-player game is that you cannot get the ongoing bonus twice for a single action, i. e. you cannot claim it twice for being both left-hand and right-hand neighbour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple points of possible confusion here.

When you take the Enlist action, you remove the cylinder next to one bottom-row action of your choice, and place it on one of the circular spots on the faction mat. Immediately take the reward specified by the spot you cover. Each of these rewards can only be claimed once. This completes the Enlist action.

From that point onward, the bonus that was uncovered when you did the Enlist action is gained each time you or a player next to you takes the bottom action next to that bonus. In a 2-player game, you do not get to take the bonus twice when your opponent takes the bottom action. (He still only counts as a single player, despite being on your left and right.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dmoser22 wrote:

When you take the Enlist action, you remove the cylinder next to one bottom-row action of your choice, and place it on one of the circular spots on the faction mat. Immediately take the reward specified by the spot you cover. Each of these rewards can only be claimed once. This completes the Enlist action.

From that point onward, the bonus that was uncovered when you did the Enlist action is gained each time you or a player next to you takes the bottom action next to that bonus. In a 2-player game, you do not get to take the bonus twice when your opponent takes the bottom action. (He still only counts as a single player, despite being on your left and right.)

That's what I tried - and failed - to say
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dmoser22 wrote:

Yes, this explanation (and others above it) are straight on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Nieuwkoop
Netherlands
Klundert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can take the bonus from doing a bottom row action in random order.
So I can take the money first and then enlist a recruit.

Does this also mean that I can:
Enlist first and put my enlist recruit on a one time bonus, then take the money from the enlist action, then take the combat card from the ongoing bonus action? (this situation only happens once in a game per player)

Or do I get the ongoing bonus only the next time I play enlist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
antoi wrote:
Enlist first and put my enlist recruit on a one time bonus, then take the money from the enlist action, then take the combat card from the ongoing bonus action? (this situation only happens once in a game per player)

The latter. You must have enlisted the recruit at the point in time in which you "take the action," which is the beginning of the sequence. If you did not have that recruit enlisted when you started the action (which, in this case, you didn't), you don't get the bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
antoi wrote:

The latter. You must have enlisted the recruit at the point in time in which you "take the action," which is the beginning of the sequence. If you did not have that recruit enlisted when you started the action (which, in this case, you didn't), you don't get the bonus.

And to add to what Trevor said, it isn't the icon that matters - it is taking the bottom row action. The icon that lets you enlist a recruit (the enlist icon?) is not the same as taking an enlist action. When you use a factory card that has an enlist icon as a bonus, you do not gain a combat card if you also have enlisted the recruit corresponding to the bottom-row enlist action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.