29.5% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest issue of Spielbox had an article about Above and Below in (Yay!), so I settled down to read what they made of it.

Things seemed weird even after the first line: "The Ameriabout Ryan Laukat is unusual..."

That's an odd mistake, I thought, but it was the first of many

"...you go below ground into a network of abouterns. If you explore the abouterns successfully..."

"That's necessary beaboutse another member of your team..."

"...and this is good to have since money is saboutce everywhere"

"In the end, however most players are rolling in abouth..."

"Now another player takes the so-aboutled encounter book..."

"If not the expedition leader doesn't obtain the aboute aboutd in which he could have placed an underground building..."

"The efforts that players heroiaboutly make underground is considerable."

"On the other hand some of the encounters are simply comiabout..."

"...frequent-player purists might be disturbed by this symbiosis beaboutse of it's lack of aboutculability."

"The German license holder, Schwekraft-Verlag has started a nice aboutaign..."

etc.

What the heck was going on with all the abouts?

I couldn't immediately see what the connection with the words was, but my husband quickly sussed it out (spoilered so you can solve the puzzle yourself if you wish):

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Wherever the letters CA? appear (where ? is any letter following the A) the three letters get replaced with ABOUT. So comiabout was really comical, aboutaign was really campaign, saboutce was really scarce etc)

So for some reason they've done a 'replace all' CA? with 'about' during editing

Why on earth this would happen I'm not sure.

It did make us all chuckle, but it's a shame for Above and Below as it makes the article challenging to read.

I presume the German version didn't have this problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars F.
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, had the same Impression as your husband as the mistake follows a Logical pattern. I wonder why nobody at Spielbox saw that, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Florino wrote:
Yes, had the same Impression as your husband as the mistake follows a Logical pattern. I wonder why nobody at Spielbox saw that, though...

Seeing your German flag, does that mean that the German version had the same problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars F.
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, did not have a look at the Spielbox yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sands
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple macro...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
looked like a replace-all mistake!

It seems to be CA(X) where (X) is another character, do these missing characters spell a sentence?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Carlsen
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
badge
Tri-City Area Gaming
mbmbmbmb
Looks like Spielbox should run some dawizard control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maldrak wrote:
Looks like Spielbox should run some dawizard control.

Thanks for the link!

At least I can understand why you might try and replace all the mentions of 'mage' with the word 'wizard'. Why you'd be replacing 'ca?' with 'about' I just can't figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One guess: in German, "ca." is a frequently used abbreviation for "circa" in places in which English often uses "about".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
One guess: in German, "ca." is a frequently used abbreviation for "circa" in places in which English often uses "about".

Interesting Kathrin!

I've always felt the translation of Spielbox was a bit weak. While everything is technically correct it's worded in a way that often doesn't flow well in English - as if the translator was really trying to avoid changing things or that they were not completely fluent in English. But it's a real worry if the translator needed to use 'replace all' to get things in English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the dot is a wildcard in a Regular_expression matching one any character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
txnull wrote:

In which case Kathrin's idea seems like a very likely solution.

Still ridiculous that they felt the need to replace them (rather than just translating properly), ridiculous that they didn't do it properly to avoid ca? that occur in the middle of the word, and ridiculous that nobody read it through before printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
txnull wrote:

In which case Kathrin's idea seems like a very likely solution.

Still ridiculous that they felt the need to replace them (rather than just translating properly), ridiculous that they didn't do it properly to avoid ca? that occur in the middle of the word, and ridiculous that nobody read it through before printing.

Maybe they did translate first, using "ca." (which seems to be an acceptable abbreviation in English, too, though I don't remember seeing it used much), then decided "about" sounded better, and replaced it.
Doesn't make it any less ridiculous, though, if that is what actually happened.
I do use "replace all", but never without checking every single instance that is being replaced. I've often been surprised by combinations that I didn't think of.
In this particular example, it wouldn't just be a problem in the middle of the word but at the end as well. There could easily be a sentence ending in "America."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars F.
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what Kim says, that the English text seems very technocratic, that is normally strong evidence that not a human being did the translation but a translation tool (similar to Google Translate).

And if this tool is told to also change German abbreviations it would automatically change ca. to about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.