Subject: What are the most prominent 'marmite' games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
By that I mean of course which highly rated games seem to also draw the most scathing reviews and criticisms? Why do some games seem to split the gaming community more than others?

Having recently read several reviews of Kingdom Builder and tried the app, I was quite surprised at the contrasting views different gamers have taken on this game. I actually quite like it.

Of course, every game has its detractors. No game is universally adored. But some games definitely seem to inspire a more 'love it or hate it' response. Are there other games out there that you would put in this category? Why do you think that some games seem to inspire such contrasting and diametrically opposite responses?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror is another example for mixed responses.
There are a lot of people who despise it for being fiddly, for its plethora of rules or for whatever other reasons.

But that is true for most games I think. For any game you can think of there will be some gamers who don't like it, because of its theme, its mechanic, its graphics, or whatnot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Back in the day I recall Settlers of Catan being such a game. Many wondered what all the fuss was about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Trucker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica Some claim it is the best thing ever, some say it is tedium in a box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Clowsewitz
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archipelago. You either love it or hate it. I haven't seen anybody say that it's okay.

Dominion has a strong following and also a large amount of people who find it soulless and boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess - many on BGG dislike abstracts and any game which lots of people us played as children is liekly to be loved or hated depending on our experience.
Cards Against Humanity - possibly the most popularised opinions on a game
The Resistance - some people really hate anything like this

Probably not much liked on BGG but overall these are probably marmite games:
Monopoly
Scrabble
Trivial Pursuit (or most trivia games)

As an aside do people outside the UK know about the marmite thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:

As an aside do people outside the UK know about the marmite thing?

I do know, but for those who don't there is Wikipedia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World, I think it's the most boring game ever. Regardless of race or abilities you pretty much do the same thing over and over. Yet some people love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mondkalb123 wrote:
But that is true for most games I think. For any game you can think of there will be some gamers who don't like it, because of its theme, its mechanic, its graphics, or whatnot.

Yes, but surely some games seem to get evoke more polarised opinions with not much middle ground. Whereas others will get a lot of 'meh' or 'take it or leave it' responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps also Mysterium and Dixit?

Cosmic Encounter for sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Chilton
United Kingdom
Oldbury
West Midlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 - so many people hate the legacy format
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly sure judging by people's comment on BGG that Agricola falls into your category... '7 ranked game on BGG, but some people wouldn't touch with a barge pole
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
pchilton2002 wrote:

You could go over the stats for each game. Just quick checking I don't see any big blips for Agricola or Terra Mystica. Pandemic Legacy, however, does have a fair number of haters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

I enjoy it, and so do many others; after all, it does have 4 base sets now. If I step away from my personal tastes, it is really only a good, not a great, game. Nevertheless, it inspires so much hate in the forums--much more than other mediocre or limited niche games, it seems.

I am always particularly puzzled in the recommendations forum when someone blasts it for being a money sink and then turns around to recommend an LCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pchilton2002 wrote:

I don't think it's just the legacy format. I'm ambivalent on legacy games at this point, but I'm certainly not reflexively against them. I didn't like Pandemic: Legacy because the plot was just about the most hackneyed, trite, cliched piece of geek-fanservice toss it would be possible to come up with,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
(really? ... those? ... and they're responsible? ...)
to the point where at least half of our playgroup correctly called the direction in which it would go in advance several times over. Had that structure appeared in a movie, a TV series, a book, or a video game it would rightly have been criticized as such, but just because "nobody's done that in a boardgame before" it not only gets a pass, it somehow gets praised to the heavens. That was my (and several others') main objection.

The game itself was OK, but then Pandemic's a very decent game to start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
Small World, I think it's the most boring game ever. Regardless of race or abilities you pretty much do the same thing over and over. Yet some people love it.

How dare you, good sir! It's one of the most fun games ever!

(Yes, I was basically just proving the marmite thing for this game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
For your consideration:

Quote:
Some people drop 1 ratings on games for reasons outside of the game itself, usually as a reaction to something they don't agree with. There are many reasons why this may happen, and unfortunately it devalues the rating of a game.

I devised a method to try to identify some of these games: a ratio between the 1 ratings against the count of the other negative ratings (2, 3 and 4), filtered down to games with an average rating greater than 5 and at least 1000 ratings.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/211029/rating-analysis-50...

Edit: also see this:

[RATING ANALYSIS] The 50 MOST DIVISIVE games (Dec 2014)
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/183213/rating-analysis-50...

He needs to update this one. I'd bet there are a number of recent games that would be high on an updated list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wear
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanabi?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you learn something new every day...

Pete (just added "marmite" to his vocabulary, but suspects he can only use it with British folks)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Pete (just added "marmite" to his vocabulary, but suspects he can only use it with British folks)

In your vocabulary is definitely the best way to use marmite
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) and Tales of the Arabian Nights divide people massively on here.

Some think they're a fun romp. And others are dullards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorath wrote:

In your vocabulary is definitely the best way to use marmite

Too far!

You can insult my favourite boardgames, set fire to my shoes, have sex with random members of my family.

But being mean about marmite is crossing a line, man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Or Aussies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
bortmonkey wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Or Aussies

Although most will tell you there's a better alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.