Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For a couple of months now the Beacon (aka the Civic Hall) in Wantage has been holding a monthly games evening, so I thought I'd try spreading the word a bit.

The problem (in my view) is that the event is sponsored by a local collectables shop, and they provide a games library, which is made up almost entirely of assorted versions of Monopoly and trivia games. They have little-to-no clue about the modern boardgame hobby. I've been trying to improve things (this is something related to my hobby in my home town, so I want it to succeed) but I'm not the most assertive person in this sort of situation, so it's hard going.

Anyway, this time I am planning on bringing a few light and quick games that anyone can enjoy and will be trying to spread the love a little. Is anyone out there available to help me in this endeavour?

There is some information on the event here, but in summary, it starts at 5pm (I'm planning on being there about 7:30) on 26th August and costs £2.50. The location is OX12 9BX.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I can get away with it as it's games night in Faringdon Thursday night and I might get a look from my Wife if I do 2 nights in a row!

Have you been to the Stanford in the Vale or Faringdon ones before? Not that it helps your 'spreading the hobby' endeavour, just curious/eager to always get more people playing games where I might be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
I'm not sure I can get away with it as it's games night in Faringdon Thursday night and I might get a look from my Wife if I do 2 nights in a row!

Understandable! It's tough adulting sometimes, right?

Quote:
Have you been to the Stanford in the Vale or Faringdon ones before? Not that it helps your 'spreading the hobby' endeavour, just curious/eager to always get more people playing games where I might be!

I can't make the Stanford one, as Tuesdays are a bad night for me, unfortunately. And I don't know anything about Faringdon groups -- when and where are they? I get to the Didcot games club sometimes, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thursdays 7:30-ish in the old crown (a table behind the bar hidden away).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1606806559583474/?ref=bookma...

There's no real 'owner' of the group and I only learnt about it through random chance from our dog-walker!

We basically end up with a post earlier in the week confirming enough people can play (we are on tonight with 3 confirmed I believe). We play until closing (around 10:30-11pm).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I might be able to make that one day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Townsend
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
Looks like they might know about other games as they have meeples on their logo.

Don't think I can make it as I'm going to the in-laws. Would like to some time though.

There's also monthly gaming on a Friday in Faringdon at the Pump house that some friends of mine run, I don't know what the current scheduled is though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bazman wrote:
Looks like they might know about other games as they have meeples on their logo.

Oh, they have at least heard of them.

To be fair, the first time I went, they had Prophecy out, which is definitely different, but it's not really appropriate for an evening of casual gaming with muggles, and the guy there said I'd like it because it is like Carcassonne. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ibsen
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I now have plans for tomorrow but will check with the wife....

With more notice I should be able to make it another time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
www.boardgoats.org
United Kingdom
Stanford-in-the-Vale, Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

negatrev wrote:

There's no real 'owner' of the group and I only learnt about it through random chance from our dog-walker!

We basically end up with a post earlier in the week confirming enough people can play (we are on tonight with 3 confirmed I believe). We play until closing (around 10:30-11pm).

Do you have any contact details for the group? If so, I'll add it to our web-page:

https://boardgoats.org/other-local-clubs/

Thanks,

nannyGOAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
coolscribe wrote:
With more notice I should be able to make it another time.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't think about putting this up here until today. My bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
www.boardgoats.org
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you could let us have the dates of the next ones, we can add them to our calendar too.

nannyGOAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
boardGOATS wrote:
If you could let us have the dates of the next ones, we can add them to our calendar too.

According to the Beacon's email, the next one is Fri 23 Sep, which I won't be able to make. I don't have information about anything further ahead. It looks like they are doing the 4th Friday of each month, but I'll see if I can confirm that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
www.boardgoats.org
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks Rob!

nannyGOAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardGOATS wrote:

negatrev wrote:

Do you have any contact details for the group? If so, I'll add it to our web-page:

https://boardgoats.org/other-local-clubs/

Thanks,

nannyGOAT.

Nothing beyond the Facebook group itself I'm afraid, as I say, no-one seems to really own the group that I can tell. I tend to teach a lot of my games there now though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Townsend
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
I think I have met some of them at the Pump House gaming in Faringdon, I think they are mainly CCG players. I hope you are slowly educating them in the finer art of gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick report on what happened...

A few of us turned up in the end; there weren't many people this time, and when my friend and I turned up, there was one table playing Monopoly, another couple of friends playing Forbidden Island (and getting people checking out what they were up to), and one of the organisers floating around.

My friend and I played Eight Minute Empire and got a couple of people coming to see what we were playing, then when we finished (which coincided with the end of the Forbidden Island), we combined groups and roped in the "spare" organiser for a game of Om Nom Nom, followed by Tsuro. Then, after the departure of the other F.I. friends, we introduced the organiser to No Thanks, which we played a few times before everyone went home.

I think the operation was a minor success. The organiser chap, who doesn't know much about games outside the "standard" ones (he likes to play Monopoly with the "free parking" rule), was impressed by the games we played with him, and one of the other organisers, who was in the Monopoly game, looked at our stuff and said that she really needed to expand her gaming horizons. The fact that we played a series of quick games and were laughing a lot was definitely noted, and in future I think more people might be open to trying unfamiliar games.

So, just to confirm, the next one of these events is on 23rd September. I won't be able to make it, but if someone turns up with a bag of games they'd be welcomed, though there may not be that many other people there. I asked, and apparently the plan is for these to be on the last Friday of the month, though that may change sometimes, and they won't be able to run one in October.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
www.boardgoats.org
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We've checked the details with the toy shop and the Beacon and have put details of the next Beacon Games Night on our website.

Hopefully we can get a good turn-out in your absence!

nannyGOAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.