Support:

Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there

I am interested in having a go at this series, after reading the reviews here on BGG and watching the reviews on YouTube. Could I ask, does anyone know which version of D&D is this game series based on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Bartheus
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly on 4E. The heroes have healing surges and their abilities are categorized as At-Will, Daily or Utility Powers.

Edit: And that goes for all four of these board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
It's based on a "lite" version of the Fourth edition rules set. Damn, you beat me to the response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please excuse my ignorance guys, but I am new to D&D.

Could this series be said to have any "tie-ins" to D&D 5th Ed?

I ask this because I think I can get a group together for this, but we are only (somewhat) familiar with the 5th Ed rules and we are the sort of people who like to tinker with games and develop extra rules to experiment with a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need never have played any version of DND to learn this game. THere is absolutley no rules cross over between the games and roleplaying games.

There are concept similarities between the game and rpg that players will recognize.

Names/Places/Monsters/Lore
Using a D20 to hit, things having a Armor Class, Things doing damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest game in the series--The Temple of Elemental Evil--borrows some art and graphic design style from 5th Ed, but that's about it--the core gameplay remains largely the same.

That said, absolutely no knowledge of D&D is required to play the D&D Adventure System games. (In fact, part of their reason for existing is likely to teach gamers the basic vocabulary of D&D, so that jumping into a full fledged RPG session would be a bit easier).

Keep in mind--the D&D Adventure System games are super simple distillations of a dungeon crawl. They are fun for what they are, but I find the game play is almost like Pandemic--very abstractly, you are focused on mitigating thematic risks (monsters and events) using character abilities to their fullest.

It's not very tactical, and combat's pretty basic (roll to hit, do a set amount of damage--usually 1,2...or rarely an outrageous 3 damage!).

There also aren't a *ton* of choices. Events happen that basically tell you "you've just lost HP!". There aren't things to search or complex story lines.

Leveling up is very rudimentary (spend 5XP *if* you roll a natural 20), as is the campaign (rules for that are in Wrath of Ashardalon). ToEE added some improvements to each of these systems (leveling changed to being able to purchase certain buffs in a town phase), but again, it's all very light and abstracted.

So, though it's not complex, the series's big appeals are the following:

1. It's quick to set up and play, and gives the basic feel of dungeon delving. Kinda like an RPG appetizer.

2. The amount of plastic you get in a box is second only to a CMoN Kickstarter campaign. If you're in it for the (pretty decent) D&D minis, it's a fairly good deal.

3. If you are prone to tinkering, the D&DAS games are very accommodating--each of the 4 sets are all intercompatible, and cross over materials were included in the now defunct D&D Dungeon Command minis battle game (which can be gotted for cheap these days). And there's a ton of fan-made heroes, monsters, and even campaigns all right here in the variants section.

I've often daydreamed of adding in a few basic rules (fleshing out character attributes, adding in stealth, changing LoS and monster movement, including real NPCs) to turn the system into something a little more meaty. But, I confess, when I get the urge these days--I usually just take Descent off the shelf and fire up the RtL app.

In sum: If you want a very light dungeon crawl experience that offers you a lot of materials to play with, the possibility of creating your own basic scenarios, and an intro to D&D vocab--D&DAS is pretty unique.

If you decide to delve in, I'd probably say look into Wrath of Ashardalon (for the overall classic fantasy theme and the campaign system) or Temple of Elemental Evil (for the updated campaign and leveling rules).

However--you might also look into FFG's Descent for a more classic dungeon crawl campaign, or even Paizo's Pathfinder Adventure Card Game series (which, though not a classic on-the-board dungeon crawl, manages to nail the feel in a deck builder, and also has tie ins to the full blown Pathfinder RPG world). Also Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game is worth a look, and for something more complex--GW's Warhammer Quest: The Silver Tower.

Whatever you pick--happy delving!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Invictus5000 wrote:
If you are prone to tinkering, the D&DAS games are very accommodating--each of the 4 sets are all intercompatible, and cross over materials were included in the now defunct D&D Dungeon Command minis battle game (which can be gotted for cheap these days). And there's a ton of fan-made heroes, monsters, and even campaigns all right here in the variants section.

Any good leads on cheap Dungeon Command sets? Everywhere I've looked prices have been going up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ookami86 wrote:
Invictus5000 wrote:
If you are prone to tinkering, the D&DAS games are very accommodating--each of the 4 sets are all intercompatible, and cross over materials were included in the now defunct D&D Dungeon Command minis battle game (which can be gotted for cheap these days). And there's a ton of fan-made heroes, monsters, and even campaigns all right here in the variants section.

Any good leads on cheap Dungeon Command sets? Everywhere I've looked prices have been going up.

Huh. Last I saw them in quantity, Barnes & Noble were blowing them out at 50% off. Looks like DC's transitioned from bargain to rarity...probably best to keep your eyes out for used copies here in the marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.