Subject: A coop for just one player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess this is more of an opinion piece than anything else, so please bear that in mind.

I was thinking about getting this game for a long time, I love the concept of defending a base, like deckbuilders and this one seemed original enough (with cards going into your hand on buying). However i mostly play with my wife who is not fond of coops (she rather relishes destroying the opponent utterly) and all the reviews I watched stressed how important cooperation is in this game. Finally I got it and we proceeded to play it. That was the only time I played with a person, since then I've been playing this game solo - and having a very good time at that. In solo play it really flows nicely but in multiplayer, even just with two it is terribly boring... Sure, you can buy cards simultaneously, and yes, you can give the other player some troops etc. But the game is hard enough you only do it when you feel you just have to, because your own lane is never defended well enough. Then the combat comes, sitting through the other player(s) combat is incredibly boring, there is little tension there. Sure you can save them with instant cards, but first you have to have those which does not always happens and when you do it'll be mostly one card, making the rest of the combat still boring... secondly it is all and fine if you have already played, but if this is before your combat you do not know what you will need, maybe giving that grenade to your ally will in turn make you both lose the game? This would work much better if all the enemies were face-up and you could together devise a plan of defense, as it is it is just a blind guess.
Don't get me wrong, I like the game, but I am surprised that it was presented this way and that so little people talk about the fact that it is actually so much better as solo, the same excitement minus all the tedious waiting!

Am I missing something in the game not finding the multiplayer experience interesting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Favre
Switzerland
Sion
Valais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Same here... Try playing solo in 2 players mode (playing 2 hands).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Trayers
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play it four-player with the variant where each player reveals and resolves the first enemy only, then play passes left. Play proceeds clockwise until all combats are resolved for good or ill. So no one is waiting for an entire enemy line to resolve, yet we preserve the tension of using resources on this threat or waiting to see if another, worse one, arises. This reduces downtime dramatically and fits the theme better, as the base is being attacked simultaneously on all fronts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.