Support:

Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there

I am interested in having a go at this series, after reading the reviews here on BGG and watching the reviews on YouTube. Could I ask, does anyone know which version of D&D is this game series based on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters.
mbmb
I think it's FOURTH edition. I know the three earlier ones are based on 4th ed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4th.. as that editions had the concept of Daily powers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ruescher
United States
West Milford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
5th. I don't remember 4th having advantage or disadvantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
"Because the ultimate purpose of crime is to establish the endless empire of crime."
mbmbmbmbmb
The series, with its mix of Daily, Encounter and At-Will powers, is a simple approximation of 4e. For ToEE, they added Advantage and Disadvantage conditions that work more or less like their 5e counterparts, but the essential system is the same 4e base as the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
GorillaGrody wrote:
The series, with its mix of Daily, Encounter and At-Will powers, is a simple approximation of 4e. For ToEE, they added Advantage and Disadvantage conditions that work more or less like their 5e counterparts, but the essential system is the same 4e base as the others.

This!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ruescher
United States
West Milford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
True but it also uses the d20 system so in effect it could be 3rd edition.

I just meant that because it uses advantage/disadvantage it is 5th as no other edition used that.

Either way its fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
thebobymon wrote:
True but it also uses the d20 system so in effect it could be 3rd edition.

I just meant that because it uses advantage/disadvantage it is 5th as no other edition used that.

Either way its fun to play.

D20 is a staple of D&D, for better or for worse. So you may as well say it's based on this decrepit copy of the AD&D DM's Guide from K-mart sitting next to me on the shelf.

The D&DAS systems came out during the move to 4th edition and were modeled directly after that. They used the 4th edition races and the concepts of at-will, utility and daily powers.

After 3 games in that series, then after the release of 5th edition, TOEE incorporated the concept of advantage/disadvantage, while retaining the 4th edition mechanics upon which it was based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.