Hide
4 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Grouping Enemies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Calhoun
msg tools
I still struggle sometimes with the combat vs grouped enemies.

I assault a hypothetical city. I have an enemy with 5 armor and fire resistance and another enemy with 5 armor and physical resistance. I expose the enemy with physical resistance. Now I group them together. They are essentially treated as one enemy with 10 armor and fire resistance? And they would also have site fortifications because the fire resistant enemy was not exposed, which means the two ranged damage from expose would actually NOT be able to target the grouped enemy?

Assuming the enemies are NOT fortified, if I have Braevalar's forked lightning skill and I group the enemies together, does it do 1 damage or 2?

In my brain, I wan't to "combine" the enemies and basically make them one super-enemy for the purposes of grouping damage, which is why it seems weird that forked lightning would hit a grouped enemy twice, but I think I'm overcomplicating things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Resistances affect your attacks, making them inefficient.

If any enemies in a group that you create for an attack have a resistance, the corresponding attack type becomes inefficient.

If you are working out a siege attack, you cannot add a double-fortified enemy to the group. Likewise, if you are working out a ranged attack, you cannot add any fortified enemies. If you are in the melee attack phase, of course you can use the 2 ranged attack from expose as melee attack.

If you "combine them together" and "essentially treat them as one enemy", then various problems arise. There's no reason why you couldn't use Demolish to reduce the armour of the enemy you exposed in your example, for instance, but if you start treating a group as a single enemy, or "sharing" resistances, things get confusing.

Just don't try and "simplify" things by doing things contrary to the rules, and you'll do fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you group the two enemies, then all your attack is affected by any of the resistances of the grouped enemies. This does not mean that they share each other's resistance: for example you could still affect the non-fire-resistant enemy with red non-attack spells, but your WHOLE attack directed towards the group of enemies is affected by any resistances of any of the grouped enemies. So you are right, since one of them is still fortified you would not be able to use ranged attack if you group the enemies. The rulebook itself recommends to split the attack in such situation.

You'd do 2 damage with Braevalar's skill because you are still attacking multiple (two) targets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Calhoun
msg tools
Yeah, I definitely wasn't trying to contradict the rules, my brain just attempts to simplify information to prevent overburden (especially in a game like this where there is so much to keep track of).

Thanks for the replies, this clears things up a good bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.